Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Curious about casual players and GR...

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Foutch, May 22, 2015.

1. Foutch

Foutch IncGamers Member

Just a quick question, especially directed at the casual players (low hours of playtime per week / non-seasonal / etc.)... How is your progression going with greater rifts? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm around P450, am using a Nats Build with Focus / Restraint, have mostly ancient gear, but yet I can't do any kind of GR > 35 solo. I hear Flux in the podcasts talking about how GR 40 is like the "new T6," but my frustration has hit an all time high. Is this normal, or is passing GR 40 something I should have been able to do by now? Helpful responses are appreciated....thank you!

2. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Getting to gr40 and beyond takes experience and good gear. Once you start hitting into the high 30s you either need to be doing a great deal of damage, or have to know how to "read a rift".

I'm a pretty regular player and can offer you the following general advice to get better at GRs from a hardcore perspective.

Watch some videos. Go to YouTube and search DHs (or whatever class you're playing) doing GR whatever. Pay attention to what they're doing, and compare it to yourself. Is anything glaringly different?

When doing a GR for "speed" (sub 4 min) you want to kill everything as fast as possible, so DPS, movement boosts, and build choice are a huge factor.

When doing GRs for "progress" (shooting past what you've done before) it plays differently. You want to seek out monsters worth your time, and skip what you can that won't really contribute to success. A screen of 4-5 monsters spread apart? Skip. A screen with well clumped monsters? Point and shoot. An elite that might kill you? Try to avoid it, or pull it to an area you can escape from and move past easily.

Most of that comes from experience, and recognizing scenarios that work out, and ones that don't.

As far as you specifically? I can't tell where you're at without a profile to look at ;)

Foutch likes this.
  3. Foutch

Foutch IncGamers Member

@tougeznut , thank you very much for your reply! :) I definitely will be checking out DH videos, as clearly for me to keep doing what I'm doing is going nowhere. From the couple that I have seen, and not intending to sound super cliche' with the RNGeesus complaint, it does seem like some of the top DH's (Gabynator, esp), found incredible gear to farm higher GRs with (calamity/Nats slayer combo). I'm guessing I just need to grind more and more for some decent weapons. (The Kadala simulator took me around 100K shards to find a calamity, and it wasn't even an ancient. I stopped attempting to find a Krider at 125Kish shards -on the simulator, of course.)

I apologize for not putting a profile link... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Foutch30-1824/hero/3918390 . Any advice, appreciated. (I have tried what Flux mentioned on the podcast, which was using the strafe - and it is insane for T6, but not so much for GRs. I have also tried what Flux mentioned, which was getting rid of the Hellfire, but like Neinball stated, it is hard to get rid of the insane DPS that the ancient one I'm wearing does provide.)

Thanks again!!

4. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I think your biggest issue is that you're using two sets and not able to utilize the huge 6pc bonus from either set. Finish the 6pc of either set and commit to that style of play for a little while. Learn how to be good at it, and you should be hitting 40s in no time.

Foutch likes this.
  5. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Considering the late reply, what I suggest might not be current, depending on changes you've done to gear over the weekend (no idea how quickly bnet updates profiles).

Replace the gogok and wreath gem if you plan to run UE set. They're not helping you out at all. Grab a bane of the trapped, and consider bane of the powerful for instance. The buff should have decent uptime even on rifts in the 40's range.

Switch from cold damage to fire, and get arsenal rune on multishot. I'm pretty sure fire will deal way more damage than a cold spec. Get the wolf companion instead of spider, and consider switching out polar station for vengence - seething. If you find it troublesome to get bane of the trapped proc'd without it, then keep polar for the time being. But when you get to the point where trash dies within a 1-2 multishots, then definitely consider dropping polar station. evasive fire should serve well enough on elites for the BoTT proc.

Switch up your passives. For the fire build you want to get ballistics in there, since it really does make a difference with those rockets, which btw can fly over waller. It's quite nice to have since your regular multishot can't hit through waller, giving you a source of damage, instead of having to wait it out. Also drop sharpshooter for steady aim, since you hit so many mobs with multishot, there will rarely be a time when a single multishot won't land a crit on one of the multiple enemies inside MS range.

Now on to items. Assuming you want to try and make the switch to fire, then get bracers with % fire dmg. I don't know the math but %fire might be stronger than dex roll on amulet as well, although there's nothing wrong with having a dex on the amulet instead. If you feel like farming for a HF amulet, look for awareness (probably the most versatile passive), cull the weak, steady aim, ballistics and ambush. Although ambush is more in preparation for when dead man's legacy is available to you. And re-roll the armor roll on the boots for multishot damage. You probably want to get multishot dmg in the helm as well. I've no idea if it's better to skip out on the socket or vitality, but either or should work. In general though look for new gear pieces that can contribute more to your crit chance and damage, since it looks like you're lacking in that department. Especially crit chance.

I can't say for sure if that will let you speed through 40's though, since my only experience with the build is with a dead mans legacy, which is a massive dps boost. Overall though don't get caught up too much in needing perfect gear. Get crit chance and dmg where you can. Getting to around 35-40 crit chance, and around 350-400 crit damage will be a big bonus. I can't stress that enough, as it is a really important part of the dmg output. Get increased multishot dmg where you can. 1 source is decent, 2 would be great. Ideally you want it from 3 sources (boots, helm and off-hand). A single source of elemental dmg (bracers) will suffice.

Oh one final note, don't shy away from those 60% upgrade chances on your gems. They can typically net you around 3-4 more upgrades, even if it is a grind to get those gem upgrades at that point.

For reference, this is my current DH: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Korialstraz-2312/hero/58560679
    Yes it is a season character, but it gives an idea of what a fire based build looks like. Note that I'm running marked for death over vengence, which is because I've been pushing GR50+ in a group. For lower GR's I typically grab vengence, as the extra hatred comes in handy in some sitations.

And in case your wondering what my character is capable of. It beat a 47 a while ago, although I didn't do more than 1 failed attempt at 48, so can probably push higher. Finnished a 52 duo with a barb, and just tonight me and 2 friends (barb/crus) beat 54.

Phew. That was one wall of text. But even with all that said, I think the best advice I can give is find a group of people you enjoy playing with. Pushing to higher GR's becomes easier, and as a result you get access to more bloodshards, more legendaries, and higher legendary gem lvls. :D

Foutch likes this.