Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cure for lycanthropy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leopold Stotch, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

Cure for lycanthropy?

no, im not a retard or anything, i just need some help (yeah, a serious thread from Leo! yes, it will storm/snow in your location).

I have this "magazine article" i was assigned to do and today i have to submit at least two-three ideas (im gonna do three just in case) (the reason for two is so the prof can "Yay/Nay" it and to make sure no one is overlapping). what i have to do is take on an "avatar" of someone from the Middle Ages (can be someone from literature or i can be a made up person from that time era), write an article about a certain subject they would know about. for example: i could be Beowulf and write about swords. one of my ideas is posing as a minstrel that had toured with a female cross-dresser named Silence and talk about how to be a phenomenal minstrel performer like her/him.

my other idea was to pose as a druid or an herbologist or potions maker and talk about lycanthropy and if there was a cure or herb suppressant, provide it. so far, im finding a lot of how one became one and how to kill one, i've found one "cure". maybe im going at this from the wrong angle? im not sure. my only restriction (perhaps) is i cannot make this up, it has to be research-able information (i hope i made my assignment clear. >.>). hence, this :help: thread.

tl;dr version: i know about werewolves, i just want to know if there was a "cure" or herb suppressant back in the Middle Ages for an assignment i need to do. thanks! :wave:

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Re: Cure for lycanthropy?

Ask in the Duid Forum also...oddly enough.. they might know.....

3. Leopold Stotch

yeah? can i just re-post this over there?

4. Mikachu

Mikachu Diabloii.Net Member

Google it! :D

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

My way of curing lycanthropy involves a shovel and a rug. Do you need more specifics?

Come to think of it, it's very much like my cure for hiccoughs, too.

6. nasarius

nasarius Diabloii.Net Member

"Yay" is an exclamation of joy. "Yea" is the yes vote.

Per Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf#Remedies

The only citation given is "The Werewolf Delusion" by Woodward, which I don't have on hand.

Pliny the Elder notably (he asserts the existence of, for example, basilisks) calls out werewolves as BS, which may be one reason werewolf mythology seems a bit sketchy until after the Middle Ages:
    http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast180.htm

I'll take a quick look at the medieval bestiaries I have in book form and report back if I find anything. You might want to search books.google.com too.

EDIT: Nope, nothing in the medieval sources I have. There's a modern editorial note making a comparison to werewolves in T.H. White's "The Bestiary" translation, but that's it. Your best bet is probably tracking down a copy of "The Werewolf Delusion", or finding something similar via Google Books.

By the way, druid - probably not. Alchemist - no. Your most realistic option would be some practitioner of folk medicine, the type of woman who by the 15th century was likely to be accused of being a witch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. Ariadne

Ariadne Diabloii.Net Member

You can take a load of wolfsbane, that'll cure it. It'll cure everything else too, for good.

8. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

If you can't cure it, dress in an ahh-bra and Uggs and no one will notice the hairy back. :wink:

9. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know if there's any historic reference to this, or if it's just a modern concoction, but I've seen in movies that if you kill the werewolf that bit you before you turn for the first time, it'll break the curse.

10. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

There was probably something involving eels or trepanning. :rolleyes:

11. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

The Female ones Rule,
    and no cure yet
    you can't even join Werewolves Anonymous or something like the Bloody Vampires and the League of Temperance.

Lupus Sapiens
    There is some debate on the Discworld as to whether werewolves are undead or not. The general consensus seems to be "they're big and scary, they come from Ãœberwald, and if you stab them with a sword they don't die. What more do you want?" Regardless of whether or not they are technically undead, inhabitants of the Discworld generally lump werewolves into the same category and treat them in the same fashion.
    The Discworld variant of lycanthropy is not considered as merely an infection, as it can be passed along via bloodlines (Discworld Werewolves can be born). Whether or not Discworld lycanthropy is communicable via bites or not however is disputable, but there have been two comments made in the books in support of this notion (one is a joke made by Gaspode and the other was a mental note by Angua von Ãœberwald in the 21st Discworld book Jingo) and one actual reference to a bite-conversion (Lupine, in Reaper Man, who was initially a wolf and, every full moon, sheds some hair and his teeth recede but, as he didn't begin as human, the fact cannot be generalised to all species).
    It can be claimed however that it is not entirely correct to see a Discworld werewolf either as a human or as a wolf; they are a separate class of being equally at home in either form, and their psychology combines carnivorous animal instincts with human abstract reasoning. In some, this manifests as a fusion of natural predatory instincts with the purely human concept of sadism. Others just make the best they can out of a life where, once a month, they find themselves stealing chickens. Some werewolves (such as Wolfgang von Uberwald) refuse to wear clothes in human form unless required, and some (such as Angua's father) spend so much time in wolf form that they frequently carry canine behaviours over into human form. Their culture combines both human and animal elements; their castles contain few furnishings, both human- and dog-sized doors, and pantries stocked entirely with raw meat. They seldom cook, and have trouble entertaining guests. Unlike most other castles, there is no weaponry hanging on the walls (and even vampires occasionally see the need to use a sword).
    There are as many werewolf barons in Ãœberwald as vampire ones, and for much the same reason.
    A "true" werewolf is a human three weeks out of four, unless (s)he chooses otherwise, and a wolf the week of full moon. There are also yennorks, werewolves who cannot change, and are permanently in human or wolf form. They usually find werewolf culture uncomfortable and leave to live in a village or pack, or in at least one case as a champion sheepdog. Presumably they are as difficult to kill as regular werewolves, and only vulnerable to silver and fire.
    This is where the other kinds of werewolves come from. Crossbreeding between yennorks and ordinary humans has resulted in various other forms of werewolf. The most obvious are the people who turn into wolf-men, rather than wolves, at full moon, but the spectrum ranges from people who have hairy palms and eyebrows that meet in the middle to creatures that look like feral wolf-human hybrids... except at full moon when they turn into wolves. It is also said that some crossbreeds appear human, but with strong feral tendencies, or appear wolf-like but with that extra streak of savagery that is so very human. Meanwhile yennork/wolf mating has led to some extremely intelligent wolves, and is possibly also the cause of the occasional "were-man", a wolf that turns into a wolf-man at full moon.
    Werewolves do not get on with vampires. This is less to do with deep-seated politico-racial rivalry and more because the effortless cool of vampires make werewolves feel like hairy animals, and the acceptance into human society of werewolves makes vampires feel even more like outcasts.
    One Hollywood stereotype they do conform to is their vulnerability to silver, which causes burns even on light contact, and their subsequent nigh-invulnerability to being killed by other means. A longtime supremacy of a number of werewolf clans in Ãœberwald led to a ban on dwarfs mining silver in the region, though that ban was lifted when the most powerful werewolf clan showed distinct signs of breaking the deal that there would be no need for such things. Werewolves can also be killed with fire, and put to distinct inconvenience with an axe.
    Werewolves are synaesthetes, being able to see and hear smells - at least, this is how they describe it once they return to human form.
    Noted werewolves in the books include Ludmilla Cake, Lupine (a were-man) and Captain Delphine Angua von Ãœberwald and her family.

It would be like a cure for Homosexuality?
    Hey just cause it evolved does not mean I want to go screwing around with it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

In 1st/2nd edition AD&D, wolfsbane keeps lycantropes at bay while belladonna has a chance to cure it if applied right after the affliction.

13. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

leeches and/or fire

thats the standard approach

death is a cure isn't it?

14. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Now that Bob just sprayed a bunch of Discworld nonsense...
    You may want to also research what medieval theatre actually involved; much of it was advertising for prostitution pure & simple (whereas in even earlier times the theatre was all-male, but also including the element of prostitution, dating back to the concept of temple prostitutes). Minstrels were often attached to theatres, simply for the sake of survival.

You still notice hints of it with the English obsession over cross-dressing.

The concept of druids is sickeningly over-sold and badly tainted by modern gaming and fantasy, as well as the dipsticks who damaged Stonehenge with their stupid crap. Generally there were midwives and old crones in villages who had an assortment of spells, rather than any real concept of a pharmacy; that particular branch of chemistry came later and sprung from the alchemical discipline (lead into gold). There's a great series by Neal Stephenson ("Quicksilver") where he notes the way mercury was used for medicine even as late as the 1700's (actually, one concoction called "Calomel" was used into the 1800's).

I found some stuff about the Loudun possessions, but that's Satanic rather than lycanthropic.

15. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

OFF-TOPIC!
    I forget what book I was reading (I'll have to look it up, very entertaining) but it was about Vampires (not :censored: Twilight) They viewed the vampires more as a parasite the get into the person, like a tapeworm. Then to get it out they just starved said vampire and lured the parasite out of the human with blood (since he had to eat or die sort've thing)

Could've been a completely ficticous story, or some old medival lore. I read a lot of both :\ I'll find what book it is and tell you.

This also reminds me of Vampire Hunter D... Think I'm gunna watch that again today :)

I have a few "experts" (guys who really get into this kind of stuff) here at work. I asked and it depends on the origin of the werewolfism. If its a curse (Froma gypsy or what have you) or if its from a bite/claw (blood given)

More information later when we're not so busy.

16. BobCox2

LOL :crazyeyes: as opposed to the serious study of the subject?

17. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Of course. There's an extreme difference between mythology and fiction, even if you really, really believe that Discworld is real. :jig:

18. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

Nevermind, they're basing all their stuff off of movies lol.

I tried :thumbup: (sort've)

19. Leopold Stotch

thank y'all so much! ^_^ idk if i got a green light on anything yet, but Merv, i bookmarked your link in regards to medieval theater and minstrels. i think that would help a lot of i got the green light on that one.

to everyone else, this is greatly appreciated, no matter how small or large your post was. thank you. ^_^

20. BobCox2

Nope - but I do think it's based on mythology.