Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cubing Questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by TheDemonWithin, Feb 16, 2004.

1. TheDemonWithin

TheDemonWithin IncGamers Member

Cubing Questions

I was just thinking that I should probably try a little bit of Cubing things, esp. Charms, cuz mine sucks =\. BUt....I wanted to knwo what I could do with that..

Mods I am looking for are +toskills for GC, mf for SC, resist for SC, and life for SC.

I currently have a character at level 77, and I could probably raise it to about 80 or so if needed with Baalruns. Counting me and my friends, we could probably kill around any area in the game to get items.

What I'm asking is, that when you put the charm and the 3 Pgems into the cube and roll, what determines if you are "in range" for a certain affix?

Also, do the PGems have to be the same Pgem (like, PAmythest x3 or PDia, PAmyth, and PSaph)?

Finally, what are the levels required for the mods that I'm looking for on charms?

2. bitterbeerface

bitterbeerface IncGamers Member

Any PGems will work (including PSkulls). Any combo of 3 works.

For levels... as long as you don't want the huge elemental damage mods, anything from hell can spawn 7% MF, 5% resist all, or +1 skills. Your odds are actually better the lower you go for the mods. Don't quote me on this, but I've heard the optimal for skills is to use charms from NM cows... as for something like a 5% resist all, 7MF charm... I'd like to know that too. (my guess is that since since 7%MF is a lvl 33 mod, you'd want to kill something in late normal/early NM diff for the charm...) but I'll leave the specifics to someone who really understands it.

3. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

The mods mentioned all neds >=Ilvl50 (with+skill being the highest as 50), so to get the best chances of these you will need to search Act 3 NM, since monsters here will have Mlvl 49-55 and therefore produce Ilvl in that range..(making the chances better since the game then will have lesser mods to choose from)

(the high elemental mods only comes from Baal or Nihlathak -Ilvl95+)

4. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

+skills GCs need to be ilvl 50 and require clvl 42 to use
    7% MF SCs need to be ilvl 61 and require clvl 33 to use
    Res all SCs need to be ilvl 47 and require clvl 25 to use
    Vita SCs need to be ilvl 61 and require clvl 39 to use

Alvl is not the same as ilvl. At the levels we are talking about (it changes at the high end), alvl = ilvl - (qlvl/2). For GCs, qlvl = 1 so in fact alvl = ilvl in that case. But for SCs, qlvl = 28 so alvl = ilvl - 14, or to work out the ilvl you need, ilvl = alvl + 14.

ilvl 61 items start dropping in the ice caves of NM Act 5.

Also, it doesn't matter what PGems you use, 3 of the same or 3 different, or even 3 PSkulls if you want (though that would be a waste).

5. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

In that case, sorry for giving incorrect information, but Thrugg does the Alvl +14 =Ilvl apply to all SC's, because if so wouldn't (Red,Hibernal,Flaming,Shocking,Pestilent) end up with (Ilvl102-105) and making it impossible for them to spawn from either Nihlathak or Baal?

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I should know better than to give partial answers in this forum :)

Yes, that's what I meant by "it changes at the high end". In fact, alvl = ilvl - (qlvl/2) only for ilvl up to 99 - (qlvl/2), so for SCs only up to ilvl 85, or alvl 71. After that, it changes to alvl = (ilvl * 2) - 99.

To work out the ilvl you need to get those top elemental mods, you should use ilvl = (alvl + 100) / 2. (100 instead of 99 to get the rounding going the right way)

You don't have to worry about this for GCs because their qlvl=1. The qlvl of LCs is 14, so for them it is ilvl = alvl + 7 up to alvl 85/ilvl 92, then as for high-level SCs after that.

The same process applies to other items that have alvls too (ie magic/rare weapons and armour).

7. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

So if I'm reading that correctly, I need to get a sc from a level 75 area to be able to cube a 7% mf charm?

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

No, the ilvls I listed in my first post are right (already have the 14 added on).
    7% MFSCs require alvl 47, so ilvl 61.

9. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Thanks for that info Thrugg, now I can safely stop wasting my time hunting those charms in Act3 :teeth:

10. Shuck

Shuck IncGamers Member

So just for the mathematically ******** among us, can someone post up an easy answer to the following questions, using the formula above. (almost sounds likes an exam question!!! :lol: )

Where would Billy need to search in the game to find the correct level charms (for the best probability) and cube them in to the following:

+skills GCs need to be ilvl 50 and require clvl 42 to use
    7% MF SCs need to be ilvl 61 and require clvl 33 to use
    Res all SCs need to be ilvl 47 and require clvl 25 to use
    Vita SCs need to be ilvl 61 and require clvl 39 to use

(8 points for the question) :flip:

Thanks all

[Edit] Just to let you know, the ***** word is actually ret arded. Not sure why it blanked that out.

11. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

To be sure of having the chances of the mods mentioned when the charm is rerolled, it has to be found from Ice caves act 5 nm and forth, but if you find it later than act 5 there will be a bigger "pool of mods" to choose from, and therefore making the chances smaller of those specific mods..

12. Dambreville

Dambreville IncGamers Member

Assuming that we are using the NM Act 3 for +skills gcs rerolling (or insert best area here if I am mistaken)...

Is there a big ilvl leap from +skill gcs to +skill and +life gcs?

If ilvl is higher:
    Where is the best place to pick up gcs that would give both mods using cube rerolling?

How much larger is the pool of mods over the +skill gc area?

13. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

As I just wrote in another thread...
    The top Vita needs ilvl 91, hard to get.
    The next Vita down (+36-40 life) needs only ilvl 77. A more achievable target. You can find those in the Act 1 caves, or from mid-Act 2, in Hell.

There are almost no GC Prefixes higher than +skills, only Lucky, Serrated and Bloody. Which means that your chance of getting a +skill charm decreases only a tiny amount if you use high level charms (eg ilvl 85 from the Pit, which most people probably have lots of).