Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

cubing question

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by andytbryan, Jun 20, 2008.

1. andytbryan

andytbryan IncGamers Member

cubing question

When you upgrade a Normal rare to an Exceptional rare using Amn+Ort+P Saph+Item, are the properties of the rare re-rolled or is the only difference the item (dmg, def, requirements etc.)?

Thanks in advance

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: cubing question

The mods remain, but the base item is rolled. For Example, if you upgrade armor with a +extra defense % mod, the result might have lower defense because of a bad base defense roll. The +extra defense % mod will remain the same, but the base defense will change.

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

items that spawn with ed have max base def +1
    when upgraded its base will be between min and max of the exceptional/elite base
    look at as for the item properties

normal def=(max+1)*(1+ed%)+def mods
    min upd def= (upd min)*(1+ed%)+def mods
    max upd def= (upd max)*(1+ed%)+def mods

def mods are +X def (ex. +15 def from el rune, or rare/unique item mod)

4. andytbryan

andytbryan IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers, but I think I misused a word or something got lost in translation because these answers seems a little intricate and unrelated to what I meant, or just clear it up for me because I'm not that d2 savvy.

What I meant to ask was: When the rare item (Long War Bow) is upgraded from norm to excep and it has, let's say, "Adds Fire Dmg 10-50, Adds Lght Dmg 1-50, Lvl X Spell 10/10 Charges" as its properties, when I cube it with the Amn Ort and Saph will the result be a gothic bow with those exact properties or could it have a different set of rare properties entirely (No Fire or Lght dmg addons but something else like +%ed)

If you answered this and i just misunderstood your answers I apologize.

(@snickersnack: It seems like you are saying that these properties will stay on the item after it is cubed, the only thing that confuses me in your answer is the fact that you say the def of upgraded armor may be worse afterwards due to a bad base def roll. How is this possible when the base item (now exceptional) is better than its normal counterpart no matter what?)

5. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Snickersnack had it right. The properties of the item will remain the same, if you have +20-30 fire damage that will be retained.

The only things that get rerolled will be strength/dexterity/level requirements and base defense for armors or base damage for weapons. What is being referred to is that some uniques, for example the HoZ or Vampire Gaze, can actually have a lower defensive value after they are upgraded. This happens when the exceptional version has a very high %ed and the elite a very low %ed.

6. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

thats also misleading. if the item has %ed, this % will stay the same, no matter what. normally any item that has such a property has maximum base defense.

example:

Grim Helm : 60-125
    if it has % ed, like Vampire Gaze, it will always have max base def +1 modified by % ed, which is always 252 in this case.

if you upgrade it, it will become a:
    Bone Visage with a base def range of 100-157.
    when you upgarde, this base def wont be max again, but will be rolled and therefore random in this range. your bone visage vampire gaze will have between 200and 314 def (it has always 100% ed).
    the listed properties will stay the same (including all variable stats):

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Sorry that was written poorly. Base defense is rerolled, and other modifiers are kept the same.

Teach me to try and whip something up just before leaving from work. :whistling:

8. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

for gaze, hoz and some others

the def of the item will not go up very much, but the reqs will go up alot
    making them only viable on specific builds (ex. up'd hoz on smiter)

for weapons only the base dmg and reqs are increased (weapons have no rolled base stats)

bows req str/dex/lvl, if a mod on the item requries a higher clvl than the exceptional/elite version, then the lvl req will not change