Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cubing grand charms

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ZappaFan, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Cubing grand charms

I've always done a lot of small charm cubing (re-rolling), but have never tried it with grand charms. Just seemed like the odds of getting a "keeper" were better with smalls than with grands. Well I had some results yesterday that might have changed my thinking a bit.

I had some grand charms from Hell Baal & Pit runs I've been making, so I know for sure the ilvl on them is good. I went through one mule of perfect gems, and ended up with four "keeper" grand charms - all with +skills.

+ Elemental Skills (Druid)
    + Offensive Auras with 2-9 cold damage (Pal)
    + Jav Skills with 29 life (Amazon)
    + Poison/Bone Skills (Necro)

The PB skill charm has another mod I can't remember, seems like it was a little strength or dex. Funny I can remember the cold damage on the pal charm but can't remember the necro charm. Oh well.

Anyway, especially with that Jav charm, I was pretty pumped about my results. I'll actually end up using three of these for characters.

So I'd have to say re-rolling high ilvl grands is definitely worth the gems!

2. ZappaFan

Oh, I also had one come out with 100 poison damage with 1-30ish lightning damage, which I kept for a lower level character. Almost re-rolled that, didn't really consider it a "keeper", but it's still not a horrible charm. I wouldn't keep it on a character once he got on late in nightmare, but at level 37 it would definitely be useful for a little while.

3. mali

mali IncGamers Member

wow

Good job Zapp' - you know I don't believe what people say about you! :innocent:

Cheers

4. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

What's the recipe for cubing charms? My Proxy blocks access to the diabloii.net website. Any info will make me a happy chappy.

5. D2XNewbie

D2XNewbie IncGamers Member

I'd guess that he means the "3 Perfect Gems (of any type) + 1 Magic Item = 1 New Random Magic Item of the Same Type" recipe. It says that you can use it with any magic item, including charms and jewels. You can not use it on rare items. Finally, the description makes the point that the ilvl of the result is the same as the ilvl on the input magic item.

6. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

Thanks, I'm a happy chappy!

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I roll any Hell small charm, it can get ver good mods. I roll any charm found in those lvl 85+ areas, and I really want those Baal charms.

I stop earlier than most probably do, but things like those 56 Mana grands are very nice. Wont reroll any small 15+ life since 15 is LLD material and high is usable.

I have rolled several 7 MF, and 11 res with second mods, but none of the mods have been awesome. Needless to say in my short time I have over 30 15+ small lifers, 20 are 17+ and about 10 7 MF and several other nice usable charms.

8. ZappaFan

Same here. 15 is my keeper point for life charms. I keep any fire or lightning resist small charm that's either 10 or 11. I keep any mana small charm that's 12 or greater. If it's mana/life on one small charm I'll lower the numbers that I'll keep, like I would probably keep a 10life/8mana sc. Rolled a few of those on 1.09 but none so far on 1.10. I keep any magic find small that's 5% or greater. Those make good "filler" charms for new characters when they can use them. I've rolled two 7% on 1.10 so far, one of them had 1 max as a second mod.

9. moby

moby IncGamers Member

I've not done a lot of charm cubing, do you just keep rerolling the same charm over and over until you get a keeper, or do you just roll it once?

-moby

10. Pintail-Hunter

Pintail-Hunter IncGamers Member

I'm trying for + skill Grand Charms and have cube over 20 so far. I have some GC from level 85 areas that just wont roll well.

Is there a 'sweet spot' for Grand Charms where the odds for cubing a skill charm are better than lvl 85 charms? GC I have the most luck with are found in WSK/Throneroom in NM. Is this the sweet spot or am I just getting lucky re rolling these?

11. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

U can reroll the small charm as many times as u desire, until u get what u want.

Just last nite, I rolled a 8 att rat sc into a 20 Vita / 3 poison rez :thumbsup: Hell Meph dropped it btw.

12. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

IIRC there are definately sweetspots for charms to be used.

In 1.09, if you wanted small charms of vita (or life charms in general) you should use charms from NM Cows, can't remember the exact item-lvl, but NM cows dropped them.

If you wanted a Large Charm of Life for your LLD-chars, you should use large charms found in Act2 if I'm not mistaken. (Sewerruns would be a good place to gather them).

For Skillcharms, check what itemlvl the charm needs to be and get charms with that level (or a little higher). I think skillcharms are not that high lvl, so if you go witt charms from lvl 85 areas, you will get alot of high-lvl mods (like massive elemental dmg et.c.) that you might not like. If I were you I would look deeper into it :)

In 1.10 I don't know if they have changed anything about this though?

/Magnus

edit: So it's not a coincidence that your NM Baalrun charms have went well for you, and the lvl 85 ones have not.

13. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Well if going strictly for skillers those grands in NM WS2 are probably your best bet, or NM cows. Chamr needs lvl 42 Mods, and one in that area cant get a lot of the high mods which narrows down the possibilities. My only issue is I hate eliminating the possibility of insanely godly ones but using NM ones to roll.

I have had a couple charms that for like 3-5 rolls just stayed way low on lvl.......now some charms i just grab as somene discards. Now doing this you are likely to get a couple low charms that someone choose to discard for the one they just picked up, so I have a rule that if 5 rolls the freaking thing doesnt show my some hihg lvl mod I give up on it. Only had 2 so far, and one rolled lvl 6 mods 5 straight rolls!!!

I use to never roll charms, but i gave it a shot one day and had like 7 great charms in like 12 freaking rolls and I was like "you freaking fool why you trade gems?". Anyway, I value my gems more highly now.

14. ZappaFan

Oh man (and I kind of hate telling everybody this lol), when I look at all the charms I've rolled and the number of gems I've used, and what I could probably trade for all the charms vs. what I might have been able to "buy" with the gems... the value of the charms definitely exceeds the value of the gems.

15. WarriorPoet

WarriorPoet IncGamers Member

That's a great bit of info, ZF! I have saved 50+ pgems so far and have just finished NM. I was going to trade the gems but I may try to find charms in the Mausoleum in Hell to cube instead. Would they be the same ilvl as Pit found charms? I believe I remember that correctly, anyway. :teeth:

16. ZappaFan

Yes I believe that's true. Nice to have a high level area right off the bat in Act I. :)

17. HR-Tecira

HR-Tecira IncGamers Member

If you are looking at lld life charms 10 life smalls have value also since they are the best for lvl 14-16 duelers and 15 life larges for lvl 9 to 13. For some lld +5 str/dex large charms can also be useful. And dont forget the fines and sharps esp ones with str/dex/life second mods :).

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

There are two types of Grands dropped in the game definitely worth rerolling. The ilvl of the charm must be 93 or higher to receive the holy of holy "+41-45 Life" mod. There are only 3 monsters in 1.10 that exceed that number. In 1.09, every Boss beyond Hell Act 3 was Mlvl 93. Those that play "Core" characters may have access to these charms on old chars.

With Grands, your odds are lowest with +Skills or Shimmering mods as a prefix, so it can take quite a while to get one. Your odds are only about 1 in 400 of rolling a +skills of any class grand. So it takes a lot of Pgems to get one. Your luck may be better or worse, there is no "sweet spot"

I have been rerolling in hopes of Cold or Light or Fire for my sorc, but instead I get Passives, +1 Pally Combat/39 Life (and others just like it), All Druid, Barb, and Necro P&B/Summon charms. I also get a ton of LLD GCs (Fines and Sharps, which are common to roll too). I'm moving on to Jewels because it's driving me nuts.

By the way, the 3 monsters with Mlvl>93 are Hell Diablo, Uber D, and Baal. D being 94 and Baal being 99. If Uber D could drop anything else he would spawn ilvl 99 as well. Do not rely on D2data for Mlvl data, their information is very inaccurate with regards to Mlvl data.

EDIT: By the way, my favorite was a GC that dropped from D, which was Lucky GC of Vita, 10% MF with 45 life. That, my friends, is a keeper.

19. HR-Tecira

HR-Tecira IncGamers Member

Ah did not realize that hell Nilathak had dropped to mlvl 92. He used to be lvl 95.

As for the "sweet spot" that someone else mentioned, all he ment was chosing the charm from a certain mlvl area to exclude higher level mods that you were not looking for at that time. I personally would rather take the high ilvl charms cause if I do hit a high lvl one that is good it is still nice hehe. Sure it means I will have a higher chance of rolling useless charms but the chance of hitting an uber one for high lvl chars is worth it.

20. ZappaFan

The grand charms of Vita are one of the areas where this game doesn't make a lick of sense tho. You can get a grand charm with 40+ life, and it's level 83 clvl for goodness sake (or thereabouts). That's really stupid because it's a LOT better to use those three spaces for 20 life vita small charms.