Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cube three rings, or use 3 Pgems?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dokhogg, Feb 23, 2004.

1. dokhogg

dokhogg IncGamers Member

Cube three rings, or use 3 Pgems?

If I want to get rid of the ever-increasing stack of rings, amulets I have that are nothing special, is it better for me to try and put them in a cube 3 at a time to (edit) try to get better items, or use 3 pgems on each, once I have more p gems. And, if I am doing this, will it make a difference if i am doing it while wearing more MF gear?

[email protected]

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

MF gear doesn't matter at all. Check out this page. If you're finding your jewelry late in the game (late in Hell difficulty) or gambling it with a high-level character, it looks like the 3-gem recipe will give you shots at better goods. (Although I think crafted rings might still be a cooler way to go, if you can spare the runes and jewels.) The info is as follows:

3 Perfect Gems (of any type) + 1 Magic Item = 1 New Random Magic Item of the Same Type
    You can use this formula to get another chance at a Magic Item of the same type. The ilvl = ilvl. This means to use 100% of the ilvl of the input item. It's important to note the difference between "the ilvl is set to a fixed number" like what happens in some recipes and "the ilvl of the output is exactly the same as the ilvl of the input" as is the case here. So if you're cubing for +skills Grand Charms, for example, you want to use Charms starting from late Nightmare, not ones that dropped in the Normal Blood Moor. You can use this formula (with an Amulet) to create a +2 Skills Amulet. And you cannot Gamble one before Character Level 84. Be warned however, that the chances of getting that on an Amulet might be very low (considering everything is available) and it might take a lot of tries. Rare Items cannot be used with this formula to create new Rare Items. You can also use this on Charms and Jewels.

3 Magic Rings = 1 Random Magic Amulet
    Save any unwanted rings for the chance of getting a high quality amulet. ilvl = int(.75 * clvl). This means at Character Level 65, ilvl = 48. So any Magical Prefix or Suffix with a level of 48 and below might be available. Since +2 to Skills amulets, have a level of 90, it's not possible to create a +2 to skills Amulet with this formula.

Transmute Formula 3 Magic Amulets = 1 Random Magic Ring
    Save any unwanted amulets for the chance of getting a high quality ring. ilvl = int(.75 * clvl). This means at Character Level 65, ilvl = 48. So any Magical Prefix or Suffix with a level of 51 and below might be available.

3. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

Depends on your level, the rings' levels, and what you're trying to get. The three-ring recipe gets you a ring with ilvl equal to 3/4 your level. The three PGem recipe gets you a ring with ilvl equal to that of the original ring. So consider how high an ilvl you want, and arrange accordingly (e.g., if you just want the highest affixes possible, use PGems on anything with ilvl higher than .75*clvl, and three-ring the rest).

Not in the slightest.

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Best Advice I can give you is to seperate the rings/amulets with lower then .75 your char lvl and use the 3 ring or 3 amulet formulas. Their products or items with higher then .75 your char lvl you should then used in the Pgem recipe.

5. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

bad bad bad, all that is bad iiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuu

3 rings or amulets will never give you good receipe.
    best solution crafting,
    second solution, you'll will have more ring than rune, you sell and you gamble for another one, you can receive rare , even unique !!!

3 gems and ring, burkk bad bad bad, you are loosing you're gems for nothing, gambling will be better. use you're gem for cubing that you can gambling (ex : charms or joyaux) !!!

6. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

For me, it´s all about resources and priorities. I never mule items between characters and I only play each area in the game once. I usually craft some rings and especially amulets late in the game, but in the early game, I cube all rings and amulets I don´t need with the "3 to 1"-recipes. I am mostly interested in the resistance and Magic Find affixes, and those have a low level.

I save perfect gems for crafting, upgrading, socketing, for rerolling small charms and sometimes for effects of the gems themselves (in socketed items).

7. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

Nemar has a point here,

try to see if any of the crafting recipes include things you want, that gives you garanteed results for at least one - two desired modifiers. Other than that I would use my gems for rerolling charms, because there is no other way to redo those.
    If you want to get rid of the stack it makes no sens eto me to turn one ring into another ring, doesn't really get rid of anything anyway. So the 3 => 1 recipe or sell them outright. Unfortunately rings don't sell for much (1K - 5K) range, so not that great an option as well. so cube your rings => ammy's, and back untill you have one left. Sell that one, and your stash is empty.
    You probably won't get anything good in between, but it is worth a try.

Gouda

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t sell the surplus ones. I have a 2x2 space in stash devoted to these "extra" rings/ammys. There are always 1-4 of them there. It is empty only on the rare occasion I have crafted the only one I had.

9. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I'm with the gamblers-sell the rings for the cash. Especially at eariler levels when modifers like "the Magus" will earn close to 5K worth of gold (very nice when playing HC untwinked). I have cubed 3 to 1 many times and have yet to find that perfect magical ring/ammy. Gambling has been improved greatly in 1.10, and your cash can go a long way-(especially if you have a Gheed's equipted to lower the prices). So far I have gambled two unique rings (raven, and manald) and one set (cathan's), plus some really good rares.

10. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

i cube all mine - but i know nothing about the game - so don't listen to me

11. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

@jiansonz: offcourse you can keep the last ones, but i thought this was about a final garage cleaning lawn sale type job.

@i_marsolek: Yes, selling them and buying boots, belts etc. is also a nice plan, but that doesn't get you a better ring. Rings cost about 50K, so you'd have to sell probably about 20 to get a new one with a tiny chanche of a unique. The ring will have an ilvl of your lvl with a random modifier of -5 to +5 IIRC. This can lead to a better ring, so it is a possibility. On the other hand cubing the (21) rings leads to 7 ammy's, which can be cubed back to 2 rings, getting you 9 new chances of something worthwhile of a slightly lower ilvl. Take your pick, but for untwinked i still go for the second one, esp. because a metal armor or anything with +skills is worth 5+ K gold to make up for the loss of the money from the rings very quickly.

12. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

You make a good point :thumbsup: . I guess that it is all personal preference and luck. I can never get a rare or unique cubing (magical) rings or ammys-which will almost always be better than a magical ring. I personally don't like to spend the time cubing when I know that gambling will eventually bring me better results. You are correct that there are much better ways to earn money-namely selling armor. I guess if you had specific mods you were looking for on a ring you could do both the gambling and the cubing-I just would spend my time differently that's all.