Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cube Surprise! Excep --> Elite (unique) works in SP!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ulanji, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Ulanji

Ulanji Diabloii.Net Member

Cube Surprise! Excep --> Elite (unique) works in SP!!

Sorry all -- newbie here on the forums. However, I recently found a Pul rune, and so I went out to the runeword page on the Arreat Summit to see what sort of fun item I might be able to build with it. As I was browsing around, I got distracted and looked at the uniques, and stumbled across Kiara's Guardian. Now, it said "Ladder Only," but I only play SP/Open, and I'd found one before.

Well, this got the gears turning in my head, so I popped over to the Horadric Cube recipie page. Just as I'd remembered, it said the recipie to upgrade unique exceptional weapons to unique elite weapons only worked on ladder. "What if this works in SP too," I thought?

My favorite character is probably "Grahhk", a lv 70's were-druid. So, I empty my Horadric Cube, then I insert my only Pul rune, one of my 3 Lum runes, and a perfect emerald, and... PRESTO! I'm now the proud owner of a Ribcracker: Stalagmite!! My were-druid is now almost viable in Hell solo--YEAH!!

Anyway, I'm sure this has been known for ages, but I just found out and got really excited.

p.s. I've been playing since 2000, on and off, but I only recently started posting on Dii.net. This is my first post in the SP forum--where I'll be from now on!

2. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

welcome
    kicks shins
    i was really confused by that aswell for a while till a nice person told me otherwize

3. Rugruth

Rugruth Diabloii.Net Member

Yeh you have all the ladder-only recipes available, also the runes upgrade. THe only you cant have on SP is the Annihilus charm and the newest online runewords AFAIK.

That is on vanilla D2 LOD...

4. essojay

essojay Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

Other than the new runewords and the annihilus, the SP has no noticeable lacks from bnet ladder. (and even those, you can get with specific mods.)

5. Ulanji

Oh, wow! So all those insane runewords that are ladder-only are available too? *drools* Not that I'll ever find half of those top runes, but still--coolness.

One strange thing--I've never found an Ist, nor a Mal, but a couple weeks ago I found a VEX in the maggot lair, with my sorc who's only lv 79. I remember reading some articles on Ilvl, Clvl, Mlvl, etc, so maybe it didn't matter that I was only lv 79. In any case, I was shocked :D My best rune to date.

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

mentioning the mods read the FAQ ittl help with some questions and just so you know some mods are ok not the ones that let you edit your chars themselves some ppl like the FE mod cause it fixed FE bug some dont(that was an example of ok mod)

7. Rugruth

Rugruth Diabloii.Net Member

It's all just luck. I found a VEX on the way to ancients on NM once. That was on bnet...

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

8. Ulanji

I guess there are 2 semi-questionable things I do:

A) Periodic file backups. I have lots of space on my web-server, so I back up all my critical files there once a week or so, including all my D2 character files. That way, if my machine goes belly-up, my characters aren't gone forever. However, I don't ever USE those backups for duping, quest-repeating, or any junk like that. I have been VERY tempted before, like when I accidentally chose the wrong skill after my Barb levelled up, but haven't done so. (if you're curious, I just re-started my barbarian, lol).

B) multi-instance, single-machine. Quite awhile ago I saw the page here on DII.net where you could download a modified d2gfx.dll (I think?). This would allow you to run D2 twice on one machine--once as diablo ii.exe, once as game.exe. This has been an immensely handy way of swapping items between my characters. Without it, my necromancer would have probably pissed off my amazon by selling that Lycander's Flank, my sorc would have just sold that Atlantean to my paladin's dismay, etc. :D I know some people frown on swapping items between characters, but it's how I play.

Anyway, I'll check out the FAQ. Thanks, All!

9. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

If you like to mule items, download the ATMA application. It'll blow your mind how easy it is to save and transfer items between characters and limitless stashes. And, it's Forum Approved!

- Noodle

10. bradley_turner

bradley_turner Diabloii.Net Member

There's actually a very handy program that almost all of us here use to transfer things between characters, go check out the ATMA thread to find out more!

Edit : You'll pay for this Noodle... you shall pay...

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

You cant just say kick shins, you have to actually *kick shins*. n00blar...
    Anyway, Am i the only 1 here who thinks that if it was commonly known that all ladder recipes and items (bar anni) worked in PS as well, then more people would ditch bnet and join SP?

12. RoC1909

RoC1909 Diabloii.Net Member

I was also one of the "uninformed" that didn't know ladder recipes worked in SP too. Include me on that "probably" short list ;)

RoC

13. Sidhe

Sidhe Diabloii.Net Member

Full Juvi time!!

*gives RoC1909 a Full Juvi to heal his shins* There there, the shins are all good again... ;)

Welcome to the SPF, RoC1909!! :)

14. water_moon

water_moon Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome! Enjoy your goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Here's you invite to the EMB and your general admonishment to read the stickies.
    We recomend the back ups, so long as they are used for the right things and you can forget about the multiple instances w/ ATMA, so that should take care of your loose ends. :thumbsup:

I always thought that the "can not be used in SP" on the new ladder runewords were a dead giveaway that the old ladder stuff could be, but that's me.

15. shermo

shermo Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome, another convert!

Neither of these things will cause you any trouble here. They're also accepted at other places with more stringent rules. enjoy :thumbsup: