ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Last night I was planning to build a Paladin who uses Holy Freeze and Zeal.

I've always wondered why there wasn't a cool subclass name following the style of his Holy Shock and Holy Fire brethren the 'Tesladin' and 'Pyrodin' respectively. The pattern here was a portmanteau created from a two syllable word related to the element followed by the suffix -din.

I came up with 'Cryodin' from the word 'cryo':
cryo-
Dictionary result for cryo-
/ˈkrʌɪəʊ/
combining form
prefix: cryo-
  1. involving or producing cold, especially extreme cold.
    "cryostat"
I think this works really well as most people are at least aware of cryogenic freezing of bodies from various sci-fi sources, only in this case, the paladin is freezing demon/undead/monster bodies rather than human bodies.

Of course, I expected that someone must have already come up with this already for such an old game. I therefore did some searching and while I couldn't find any references to that subclass name here, I did spot it had been used by a few people over on the Amazon Basin forum, namely our very own @Zyr as far back as August 10th 2009. There was an even earlier reference on February 4th 2005 by a user called GrlNDgz.

Obviously I've missed the boat by about 16 years to try to get any sort of traction on this subclass name, but I'm going to refer to them as Cryodins from now on! :p

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
Ice-a-lot?
:p

I like chilladin and freezalot as well and I can totally see myself getting behind the idea of calling this very subclass Cryodin. But...

It's just that I can't unsee Cry Odin when I read that word. A tearful allfather is not exactly what comes to mind when I think about a frenzy dude with a hurt stick and a frost aura.

Frostadin?
Freezadin?
Not particularly comforting as well.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
It's just that I can't unsee Cry Odin when I read that word. A tearful allfather is not exactly what comes to mind when I think about a frenzy dude with a hurt stick and a frost aura.
Funnily enough, you're the second person to say that, but I guess it depends on where you put the emphasis.

Frostadin?
Freezadin?
Decent suggestions, I also used these in the past, I had actually included these in the tags for this topic!

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Not just you, you have to hover over them to make them visible. I think the 'Theme' is the underlying issue actually.