Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

/cry

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Drixx, May 28, 2008.

1. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Member

/cry

Well,

I am fastidiously careful with my computer. I visit only sites I know and trust. I use adblockers to keep malicious malware at bay. I have virus, adware and spyware scanners and I use them. But despite all this, I was infected with the worst piece of adware out there... that one that pretends to be windows security center telling you that you have a vulnerability and you are infected with a keylogger trojan.

It also disabled my ability to run my spyware sweepers or to even go to the websites of any of the spyware and adware software. I had to run a spyware sweeper from a USB memory key to quarantine it.

Then I rebooted. And windows started up fine. And nothing loaded in the systray. I tried to open internet explorer... nothing. I tried to open another program. Nothing. All I got was a screen asking me what program I wanted to use to open the programs with. I could open any exe in wordpad and that was it. The adware had totally screwed the pooch, as it were.

I tried to do a repair windows installation from the windows boot CD. It would get 95% through the "Devices" portion of the install and blue screen of death. Every time.

I re-installed windows to a new directory, and managed to use my 4 gig memory key to back up critical things that hadn't made it to the backup DVD's yet.

Unfortunately I apparantly didn't get my D2 saves directories.

So ... because some dishonest software company was trying to trick me into buying their adware program which is really a worthless piece of malware, I've lost 2 guardians, 3 other hardcore characters in hell, tons of gear including perfect war travs and 49% wartravs, mang songs, astreon's ... 90% of the grail + ... as well as a ZOD, a BER and a smattering of other decent runes, fully equipped barb and sorc, well equipped zon, the works. Gone.

This may be the end of D2 for me. So if anyone wonders where Drixx went...

2. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Re: /cry

So ... because you didn't make a backup which is a really stupid thing to do, ...

Reload d2, restart, more glory. Don't let minor setbacks like this get to you :)

Although for losing a zod like that you should be introduced to the red hot spike, srsly...

3. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

/Runs off to back up d2 directory.

Sorry for your loss. I guess you never will see that kind of virtual wealth again. What would sadden me the most is the loss of the runes, just waiting to be put to good use.

If you need something to start up on, I'd gladly donate the prize stashes I got from dune. They contain almost everything you need for a good start in life, and it was the gear found there that made my MF'ing possible. As I have advanced, most of the stuff is ready for passing on.

4. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

That's a serious ouch. And it'd be a shame to permanently lose such a valuable member of this forum.

...I feel you. My laptop super overheated a couple weeks ago and all the work I put into D2 from 2001 'til the present is now kaput. 6+ years of determination, sweat, swearing, jubilation, surprise... it's all a memory. I'm sure we couldn't possibly fathom how many hours of questing, MFing, & build planning were sunk into our obsession. And flat out, it hurts.

But you know what? As soon as I pick up some cheapo PC, the first thing I'll install is Diablo. I've loved my share of games over the years: Super Metroid, Earthbound, Battletoads... but no other game has kept me as captivated for so, SO long. I own better than 150 last-gen console games, but I'll still play D2 for three months straight and never think about another game.

Maybe it's me, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to turn my back to this game permanently. Hopefully someday you'll come back to the dark side... and when you do, we here at the SPF will be waiting here with open arms! Good luck finding your passion and love of the game.

5. Reticent Drappa

Reticent Drappa IncGamers Member

;' (

Hello Drixx, I am so sorry to here that. I have lost many items, but as far as single player goes I am new, so I wouldnt be able to help you (which I would). :cry:

If you DO decide to start playing again I can get you started on WnL as I do have active accts there, which I play in private games.
    I am sure you prefer sp as I do nowadays though.
    Maybe a break from d2 will make you feel a bit better. I know that personally, if something simular had happened to me, I'd not want to play for a long while. Once I came back to it, it'd be a fresh start from scratch, having to struggle a bit at first, and I do enjoy the challenge. Although it can be dull to start all over again if you've been through it before.
    Maybe Mp will make it a bit funner for you if you do decide to continue playing after you've thought about it for a while. ; )
    Anyways I am rambling, I just wanted to express my understanding and offer what little assistance I can.

Best of luck in the future!

edit: While I was completing my post more people have already responded!!
    Looks like all the help you'll need is here, yay~!
    Well, if you do decide to play again you'll be set!

6. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

They ought to catch the guys who write malware like that, and toss them into a vat of sulfuric acid. Let's see if they come out the same jokers they were when they went in.

Drixx, it's terrible what happened. But you have got to wonder... What gives me most joy? The content of the stashes, or the FINDING of the content of my stashes? For me, it's the latter. I have never touched extasy, but I doubt it could compare to the rush I get from seeing a good item drop :)

So the question is: Do you want to give up on that?

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Oh nuts Drixx, I'm so sorry.

I got lucky on my last HD crash. I'd managed to get the stuff off my HD by removing it and adding it to a second machine and using linux to read it. But the OMG factor was there.

Poke me if you change your mind and want stuff.

By the way, want to let us in on the name of the adware so we can avoid it? PM'll do.

8. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

thats nasty. you dont have even an old backup of your chrs and stashes you could use? a loss of several months would be preferable to total wipe out..

add me to the list of donators should you need any startup gear. dune

9. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

That sounds terrible, but I think there might be a chance. If you havent formated the harddrive you could put the physical harddrive into another comp and transfer the important files.

A friend of mine did lose over 4000 photos for a few moths ago(engagement and everything) and the other day we had put exam-essay on a groupmembers comp which collapsed, we was able to create a backup tho, phew.

But try this:
    Connect the harddrive to another comp as a secondary disc (I think it's called that) and transfer the files
    Do a virus scan on the host-comp
    Re-install windows

if you havent formated your comp, you still should be able to recover some files. However this area is not my best :p, I have only done it once.

I can also try try help you out with items if you want, I dont have much but if you change your mind just shout. Thy and me are for sure not the only ones gonna wanna help you ut if you do, if you're lucky you prob only have to re-find a few things.

10. isan

isan IncGamers Member

Drixx, I do not how you feel since I heve never been in your position (hopefully never will). I have ever felt discouraged when I lost several items due to multiple deaths or stupid ATMA stashing, I can not imagine if I lost all of it. Maybe a break is good for you, have entertaining activity in real life, and when you are ready, come back to the game. At least that is what I will do in case it happens to me (hopefullt never, knock knock).
    If you think positively, you will have the old feeling of starting D2 from 0 again when you get back. I would have to agree with Merlin The Wizzard, first finding of items is the one that makes me joy. I hope you do not disappear from this forum though, just keep around and share us your experience.

11. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Ouch. I really feel for you - I lost all of my stuff last summer when my laptop was nicked. If you decide to come back, I'm adding my name to the list of people who have offered you stuff - I'm not exactly wealthy, but I'll do what I can.

Hope you stick around even if you don't play anymore.

12. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

I deliberately destroyed 6 years worth of work due to it being tainted when I joined the SPF and have been surprised at how quickly I have started collecting good items again. Restarts can often re-vitalise the game. Still, I would not give up on that hard drive yet. Plug it into another PC as a slave, scan it, and get your files!

13. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Very unfortunate. :undecided:

I hope you'll find some way to restore the data or at least spark your intrest to the game again. It'd be a shame to loose a forum regular due to an accident like this.

14. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear your lost Drixx.

Most of time, data recovery is possible. If your D2 folder was gone, it is possible to run a recovery program to get it back. Like other said, you may also try to take your harddrive to a different computer; or boot with live Linux CD, you never know what you may recover.

I also like to offer my $0.02 about computer (it was my profession, and it is still part of things I have to support, even I shouldn't). The number one rule is - TRUST NO ONE, especially anything Microsoft or looks like from Microsoft friend. Every software you want to load up, do some research first. If it is not trusted by independent trusted 3rd party, do not touch it. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING Microsoft, avoid it as much as possible. If you have to, research first.

Your web browser of choice has room for improvement. Try Firefox (with NoScript plug-in), or Opera. I'd not touch IE even Microsoft pays me to do so.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I feel sorry for you.
    But let's face it, it's your fault, how could you forget to backup your D2 save directory, despite the fact that you "backuped critical things" apparently you mentioned backup DVD, so why don't you have a D2 backup?
    And you are here for a long time to know that things like this happened.
    Personally I run a backup of D2folder everytime after a big item find (after I found Sur for example...) ... and you got a Zod.

I love these Microsoft haters. They think they couldn't get a virus or spyware when they use Firefox instead IE...

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  16. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. Especially for the Doomstick of Zod.

I know I would also call it quits with D2 if something like this happened to me, though I do keep backups. For you there must be many other things out there to be done; I'd advocate not trying to do again what you've already done, if you won't be able to rescue your D2 files, but move on and leave D2 as casual fun from now on. Play another game or find a new fun hobby; you'll be able to enjoy the feeling of discovery you can't get with fresh-start D2 anymore. Don't forget us on the forums, though.

17. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

That totally sucks, I feel terrible about what happend to you, I hope you stick around. I am with DeathMaster that the data is usually recoverable. i use a bootable CD called reatogo with a memory stick and external USB HDD and i have recovered data from similar situations but I had backup images of the disk partition(s) prior to using the PC.

18. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Yeh, sorry to hear about your loss.

However take this opportunity to start fresh and do HC, Untwinked. When i did the switch it changed the way i viewed D2 and made playing ever more enjoyable. Playing HC and going Untwinked changes your style of play ten fold and you approach the game differently as well.
    I also decided to make it harder for me by doing Single pass, full clears, tournament characters only, no ATMA, no RRM/RWM, and only playing unorthodoxed builds (avoid cookie cutting at all cost because i hate them). This in my eyes is the hardest way anyone can play this game and i decided to play this way because i never get bored (alot of variety), and for the challenge (getting a Guardian).

Speaking of which i am still trying to get my first Guardian (many attempts have failed), however it is very very hard if you play the way i do....:azn:. But that is what makes it fun.

19. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

It is not you don't get hit, but much less likely. firefox is not perfect, but FF + NoScript is the current best possible and safest browser you can get. Also you need to take into account that IE is a big memory waster. since IE7, you can have tab within window, so you don't have to open each page in a new window, like how FF or Opera works for years. However, IE only does half the job. It only appears you have tab; but in the background, each of these IE tab just takes as much memory as a full separate window. How is that possible if you ask? Because IE simply pack a new window in a tab form, nothing else has changed. Unlike FF or Opera, each tab only use as little memory as possible.

Any respectable honest IT professional will tell you that any service pack or new things from Microsoft, you must wait at least 6 months before you can even consider it. Any patch from Microsoft, you must wait at least couple of weeks before you can look at it.

20. phaolo

phaolo IncGamers Member

Damn! Why the hell didn't you ask for help before doing that thing!! You can use live CDs like Ubuntu to access NTFS partitions without installing anything!!!

Tell me you didn't format already.. :largeshocked:

If so.. I share the pain with you.. :drunk: