Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crushing blow vs. Static Field

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by The_Three_United, Jun 11, 2005.

1. The_Three_United

The_Three_United IncGamers Member

Crushing blow vs. Static Field

As i was playing my kicksin the other day doing normal baal runs for exp on /p8 I noticed that the life taken away by CB wasn't just as I expected. I mean I kill everything quickly but when it comes to baddies that have a respectable life bar like baal's minions and act bosses CB just doesn't live up to it's reputation for me. I know that I play on /p8 and that's 5 times the monsters life plus that CB doesn't scale with it but I just expected a little bit more of it. Got this from Arreat Summit:
    [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]
    -Default: 1/4th
    -vs. Players: 1/10th
    -vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
    -vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
    -with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
    -with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
    -with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
    -with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th

... so I do (1/4)/5 vs normal monsters and (1/8)/5 vs act bosses (I don't think the calculations are correct, did them in a rush, any knowledgeable players out there may help with the correct estimations:D) with CB + my normal dam and it seems like I still do normal dam. And does CB get resisted by phisycal resists/immunities?

On the other hand with static field things go ALOT smoother. It scales with /p and is extremely effective in every occasion especially on act bosses.. their life goes down in a flash. The ONLY downsides I have found is that it gets capped in NM and Hell diff (75% fo NM:scratch: and 50% for hell) and that it gets resisted(lightning res/immunity), but beside these it works ok.
    So what are your experiences with these 2, do you prefer CB, static, both ?
    [/size][/font]

2. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

In your CB calculation, take out the /5 thing, you will get it right @P1. CB works as what it is said to do. And yes, physical resist does reduce CB effectiveness.

@P8, monster has 4.5x HP, so you should not use /5.

However, compary in long run, especially vs hugh life boss (eg. Baal), CB owns SF. Also, SF doesn't work on LI (don't thnk CB works on PI either).

SF stops at 50%, but CB works to the last bit of the fight. Idealy, you want both SF and CB.

3. San

San IncGamers Member

Yep. My frenzybarb has Guilaumes Face, Gore Riders and a Crescent Moon Cryptic Sword. Bosses go down before you know it :)

CB + SF is teh killer for bigger targets.

But if I really had to choose, I'd any way take CB. SF is that much rarer, and resists are nasty.. (-35 in Crescent Moon though, hehheh.)

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Static Field is an area of effect attack, so against groups is much better than Crushing Blow in my opinion, but both would of course work very well:)

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

CB. Phys immune isn't as common as LI (or so it seems to me) and it works for the entire life bar. Static is fantastic up to the 50% mark, but it's totally useless after that.

6. The_Three_United

The_Three_United IncGamers Member

so for 1 big toughie CB works better because it deals with the whole bar and and with a high % of it u can deal CB shots almost everytime, as for a big crowd SF is better because it affects the whole crowd to the limit point but u kinda' have to wait to get a static in ( % chance per attack/strike) if you're not a sorceress ... and about resistances, they can be resisted but does it work the other way around? (just wondering:uhhuh:). So if you get this combo all you have to worry about is the survivability part in hell:lol:

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

not sure about SF although I would assume that a negative lightning resistence would not add any damage since it take a percentage, not a set amount.
    For CB, physical res will limit the amount of damage it does, but neg physical res will not add any extra damage. This doesn't mean that things like amp damage don't help since in Hell, most things have some level of physical resistence to begin with and getting them down to 0 will make CB more effective.

8. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I would choose static because most of my chars can knock off half the monsters life in one or two hits, so CB doesn't actually help me any.

9. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I'll cut the chatter to a minimum and just give you the gist of my "wisdom" on this ;)

CB rules vs Act Bosses & Ancients. As I don't get tired of repeating, my second matriarch beat the ancients with just gull dagger, guillaume's face and goblin toe for damage. And she was reasonbly quick, too. That doesn't make it useless in normal gameplay but it's a bit less notable than static. The thing about static is that it's harder to get unless you're a sorc. There are only few items that grant a good level of static and the ctc is usually so low that stuff will have died anyway by the time it triggers. It does help if you run at higher player settings, though.

What I've taken to do lately is to give my merc an eth Crescent Moon thresher and swap his vamp gaze for guillaume's face vs act bosses. That's one badass combo. True, he's deprieved of life leech for a while but we manage. (especially if it's a skelliemancer, then the merc never needed LL in the first place)

10. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

because we all obviously have them :p

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well, i know i do, havent yet used it though, buts im sure i'll find i build i enjoy that can really benefit from it.

12. Mankey

Mankey IncGamers Member

Any character can get CB, not every character can (reasonably) get SF

Also CB is directly affected by % SF works every time. So the more CB you got the more it goes off, which is obviously better.

13. piscene

piscene IncGamers Member

For my sorc, I pretty much only use SF for act bosses. The benefit of CB is that it is always working, unlike SF which you use as a separate attack. I like them both, but the benefit of SF is much narrower.

14. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

OMG, knock off half hell ancients or baal life in one or two hits! :worship:

I guess our poor players can't afford this level of damage. :eek: