Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

CRUSHING BLOW vs IAS

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by HafidzMD, Jun 22, 2005.

1. HafidzMD

HafidzMD IncGamers Member

CRUSHING BLOW vs IAS

If u already have 40% crushing blow,

would you,
    add another 30% for total 70% crushing blow for 0IAS
    or 20IAS and stay with 40% CB?

what do u guys think?

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

depends on skill and breakpoints. for most skills, however, you would only get a frame faster, so i would go with cb. however, if it is very very very VERY important 20 ias, then go with that, eg. zeal on pally with a thresher, ww, etc.

3. HafidzMD

What if its a merc, using a polearm?

4. Jerkazoid

Jerkazoid IncGamers Member

that 30% increase chance is taking ur effective chance up 75% (4/10 up to 7/10)

i very much doubt 20ias is increasing ur effective dmg output by that same 75% proportion

in short (if that can exist)
    id make more hits on the merc count with more crushing, if ur single playing...

but if ur in 8player games alot do the ias ,(provided the +20ias atleast hits 1 faster break)

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

won't matter then. the way it works is that the merc is on a timer. whenever a certain number comes up, the merc will do something, e.g. move, attack, run, etc. this timer is unaffected by ias or frw or anything. as mercs use jab, which is 3 attacks in rapid succession which take less than 4 frames apiece, the vast majority of a merc's time is spent waiting to make the next decision. i guess if i had to choose, i would go with crushing blow to maximize those three hits.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It depends on what the job of your merc is. Normally he has to to keep monsters off your character, provide auras, inflict other effects on the enemy and survive the whole while your character does most of the killing. In that case CB is not that important because the merc won't leech from it. IAS means more hits which means more hit recovery for the monsters. However, if your merc doesn't hit another speed breakpoint anyway or if your merc is meant to kill enemies in the first place, 40% CB is better.

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Maybe it would be better if you just write what is your merc gear and what are the available choices.
    EDIT: And I think crushing blow is useless when your character is ubertwinked or when there are more players in the game. It's affected by physical resistances/immunities too.

8. HafidzMD

The merc is wearing:
    Infinity (40%CB)
    Fortitude
    Guillame (35CB)

The helm, can be replaced with andy helm. (20IAS)

Main purpose is to kill Baal.
    If using Andy, he can do 10k dmg max, 18k if a pala is around. Guillame, he'll do around 9kdmg max, around 17k if pala is around w concentration.

9. HafidzMD

AFAIK, CB is not affected by PI.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

But it is affected.

Note that Baal has 490K life, the Crushing blow on full HP Baal will deal 31K, on half HP Baal 15K and so on. It's quite nice damage, and CB has its use for Baal hunting.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Andariel's Visage has IAS, +2 skills (works on mercs), 8-10%leech, 25-30 str and a max poison res bonus (very valuable versus Andariel). You just have to put a Ral or 30%fire res/something jewel into it to counter the penalty to fire resistance. Baal has a low leech efficiency, so your merc might need the additional leech to survive. Your merc already has 40% CB on his weapon and the triple strikes from jab might trigger it often enough.

I suggest to try it out. If you can afford to give Fortitude to your merc, you can surely afford Andy's helm and dump/sell it if it doesn't work ;)

12. HafidzMD

Ive always used andy helm (socketed with 40ed jewel) doing baal runs (without baal). Survivability of the merc is not an issue even without the life leech. The only time hes having hard time is when IM is around.

Now that I want to kill baal, I was thinking of wether to replace the andy helm with a guilame or not. Before this the merc uses an insight, which is why guilame is needed to do baal, but now that hes got infinity, thats when the isssue comes into place.

13. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I have a merc with 100% chance for cb (co-working with 2-ele sorc) and this guy is a really good killer. Imo cb merc is the only thing which can be better than Reaper´s merc in some builds. Anyway it´s much what depends on your main char. As said before - what is his function? You said "killing Baal"... Hmmm... And what your main char is supposed to do when your merc is fighing? ... Casting spells? Using melee attacs - physical? elemental? Range attacks? What kind?... Or just drinking potions?... :D

14. HafidzMD

I cast Bone Spear, minions (skeles) attacking, golem tanking and slowing.