Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

crushing blow,open wounds,deadly strike

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by royalhu, Sep 11, 2006.

1. royalhu

royalhu IncGamers Member

crushing blow,open wounds,deadly strike

I'm not newcomer actually, I've passed the game with necromancer and now am playing with fanatic zealot(paladin)-I'm lvl 77 and playing act2 hell....
    but still I've got few noob questions: what is crushing blow? cuz I saw it on my weapon-33% chance for crushing blow
    what is open wounds?
    and what is deadly strike? - i have it on my weapon 20%

can anyone pls explain?

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Crushing blow-chance to remove a certain percentage of an enemy's current life
    Open Wounds-chance to make an opponent bleed uncontrollably. Opponent loses life when open wounds is triggered
    Deadly strike-chance to do double physical damage

3. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

While the previous reply was completely correct, I feel a more detailed explanation would be more helpful.

Crushing Blow - reduces the remaining hit points of any monster by a certain percentage when successful. Against normal monsters the percentage is 25%, against champions, uniques and superuniques 12.5%, and against players and hirelings 10%. With missile weapons the percentages are halved. This is very useful for melee fighters, as a decent amount of crushing blow can quickly kill even bosses even if your base damage is low. Crushing blow itself cannot kill of course, but it will reduce enemy life quickly allowing low base damage to make a difference.

Note that damage from crushing blow is physical damage and can be resisted. It does not work on physical immunes at all. You also cannot leech any of the crushing blow damage, however you can leech from the normal damage you do when crushing blow is triggered.

Open Wounds - causes enemies to bleed for 8 seconds. If it is triggered again within 8 seconds, the timer is reset. The damage from bleeding is usually negligible, but this has its uses. Bleeding prevents healing, and this will help in killing fast-regenerating monsters such as vampires and mummies, and of course the Ubers. As far as I know, there is no way to resist damage from open wounds. You can also die from bleeding alone.

Deadly Strike - chance to do double damage. According to what I've read, if you have a chance to do double damage from any other source, like a weapon mastery or critical strike, the chances are applied separately, and you may end up doing even 4 times damage if you're lucky.

4. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Ha, I'm guessing that Evrae's response was succinct because he/she has probably answered that question about 400 times. Did you see how many posts he/she has in the forums?

Also, battle.net (the official Diablo II site) has tons of great information on items, magic find, and weapons mods that you're asking about. Take a look here and definitely browse the rest of the site - it's an indispensable resource!

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic.shtml

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

This is wrong, the game doesn't allow successful DS check with successful critical strike, so you can't do 4 times damage.
    More about OW and CB here: Strategy Compendium

6. royalhu

royalhu IncGamers Member

thx for help

7. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

I did. My guess was exactly what you said, and I answered simply because I had not done it too often before and I happened to be there to do so.

And about the Deadly Strike/Critical Strike combination... I was unsure about this myself. I did read quadruple damage could happen, but that may have been in an older version only. I posted that partly hoping someone would correct me if I turned out to be wrong.

8. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Just one clarification regarding double damage. All DS sources are combined and all CS sources are combined. Each is then determined seperately, but if CS is triggered DS is not checked for. An example just to drive the point home:

Character has 50% CS and 30% DS; the chance for double damage is:

.50 + .30*(1.00 - .50) = .65 = 65%