Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crusader (Charger) Guide

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Ehein, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Ehein

Ehein IncGamers Member

Crusader (Charger) Guide

Since it has been requested, here is my valiant crusader/vindicator:

Skills:
    20 Charge
    20 Fanaticism
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Vigor
    1 salv (i use for blizz sorcs/fohers/etc.)
    Rest in smite

Stats:
    Strength - enough to wear gear
    Dex - enough for max block or phase blade if you use
    Vita - the rest
    Energy - none

Gear:
    Grief phase
    Coh/Fortitude
    Up'd ber HOZ
    Ber'd shako
    Mara's
    Dracul's
    Treks
    Tgod's/Verdungo's
    Raven/BK/Whisp/Raven
    spirit and cta on switch
    anni, fhr, and life scs in stash

Strategy:

tip #1 - always charge, even just to move around
    tip #2 - your charge/smite damage is HUGE but it is not listed in the character screen (bugged)
    tip #3 - smite ignores defense and usually block? makes you the king of fake meleers
    tip #4 - charge desynchs the opponent very well use this to your advantage

Bone/summon necros - fort & dungos
    good necros are tough, just charge them and start smiting

Barbs - fort & dungos
    put on walk and smite them

Bow zons - fort & dungos
    charge the crap outta em

CS zons - coh & tgods
    smite them with walk on

sorc - coh & tgods if lightning sorc otherwise verdungos
    charge em until they die

wind druid - dungos & coh
    you're not winning if they are good; max dr and charge them and their sage

foh - tgods & coh
    charge in and smite

hammerdin - verdungos & fort
    play defensive, charge around a lot, when you get an opening charge in and then smite

trappers - tgod's & coh
    charge around until they arent ready and just charge in and keep going until they die

ww/ghost sins - tgods & coh
    if they are defensive charge, if they flight you walk and smite

hmm... think thats about it
    leave questions/comments, and ill try my best to answer/address them

2. PhoenixCRO

PhoenixCRO IncGamers Member

Hmm maybe i missed sth, but when u charge u use two handed weapon n then switch to smite?

3. pAnda_fury

pAnda_fury IncGamers Member

mm its a start, but a lot could be improved.

charge is much more effective with at least a range 3 weapon. i'm pretty sure people found that you get charge locked more often with range 1 or range 2 weapons. if i ever make a charger again i will definitely make it a 2-handed type.

imo you won't have enough AR, i'd definitely use angelic ammy and a ring, possibly two rings.

if you want this to be a proper guide, you should include more gear options (grief pb is not the only or even the best charger weapon imo), also include more skill options, you didnt even mention that charge has might as a synergy.

also, what do you suggest for charms?

)pAnda(

4. Ehein

Ehein IncGamers Member

in order to survive any melee attack you must a shield, it is the aplly's advantage over most classes. Grief zerker would be better wep for a pure charger, however because I wanted to havea chance vs melee I chose grief phase to reach 6 fpa for smite while retaining huge dmg. Might is a synergy but unless all you want to kill is sorcies, you need some other form of attack, I choose smite.

5. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

ummm, why not max smite first instead of vigor? Ur charge dmg will be already high enough to dish out around 8-9k with grief. Why not focusing on smite if ur v/c?

6. HWind

HWind IncGamers Member

My PVP Charger

I have made a pvp charger on USeast ladder. My gear is as follows
    Grief Zerker
    Cham'd Guillaume's Face
    Laquered Fort
    Shael'd SS (might change for ED/AR exile)
    20 ias, 6 crushing, 13 dex, 15 life, 3 ll crafted gloves
    35/15 dungo
    Upped Gores
    Angelic Ammy
    2x Angelic Rings

I have 18k attack rating
    Do more than enough dmg to kill most in 1-2 hits
    Have around 30k def and Max Block

My Problem: For some reason even with ITD, and the 18k attack rating I can't hit paladins with high def. Even some barbs I have trouble with. Is there anything I can do to fix this.
    Also, for some reason when I die mid charge, I can no longer use charge in the game until I rejoin. Does anyone know how to cancel this bug?

7. jman131

jman131 IncGamers Member

im with panda, angelics will allow you to have much more life. And if you want dmg you should defenatly consider might. Its a synergy, PUT POINTS INTO IT

8. Ehein

Ehein IncGamers Member

Ive played chargers a lot, you need another attack besides charge. It is good for low defense or non block builds (sorcs) but you cant charge into a meleer or you will miss/they will block you.

Angelics do not give you much more life, raven gives 20 dex=60life, maras gives 5vit,str,dex=45life 105 life. Angelics give 2x20 life + 75 from set bonus thats + 10dex=30 life 145 life. 40 life is not worth +skills, resists, cbf, and absorb. And smite doesnt need AR so angelics are pointless. basically smite meleers, charge others, thats all.

9. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

There's actually no reason to use a Phase Blade. Every weapon in the game, from a Phase to a TMaul, swings at the same speed (or so I've been told, I've never actually experimented myself).

Thus a Berserker Grief would be more useful because of the higher range.

10. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

+skills arent that important on chargedin and your build is getting morw lika a smite-charge hybrid when following some suggestions, angelics is 100% better than maras, and also there are many other very good weapon options and you should bring out the 2h items/skills too...

:cheesy:
    *priit

11. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

"tip #3 - smite ignores defense and usually block? makes you the king of fake meleers"

yes it always goes though block :)

some tips on the guide:

try to give more weapon variety next version (dont expect a first version of a guide to get stickied :p )
    maybe suggest a enigma in some dueling strats i know that enigma helps catching some defensive necros and etc well.

damage we should aim for?

strat guide is a bit ehh.. but in this case there isnt TOO much strat involved.

nice start though :thumbsup:

12. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm good guide author ^^ Lets say one uses a 2-h weapon for charging - would a ethereal 'Death' Colo Sword/Decapitator work?

13. pAnda_fury

how about a max damage charge build with all points in str?
    one hit kill on ANY character!!
    thats why i suggested angelics
    lol if you dont hit i suggest getting the hell outta opponents range and trying again.
    i've tried this build on sp and it works. even with no points in vitality, if you have decent charms your life isnt that bad.

how about a setup like this:

ebotd war pike
    coa or giant skull - either socketed with 2x 40/15 jewels or maybe cham/jewel
    fort - for nl maybe levi with a damage jewel or enigma
    rends - maybe dracs or bloodfists
    gores
    verdungo
    angelic ammy
    2x angelic rings
    10x pal combat lifers or 39x 3/20/20s - im not sure which would be better

stats:
    enough dex for war pike - 96 i think?
    rest in str

skills:
    charge
    fanat
    vigor
    might
    rest in blessed aim
    point in salvation perhaps

optional merc:
    act 2 might aura merc with concentration runeword - damage=wow

for dueling caster characters maybe use vigor charge. because it is very very fast and will still one hit kill sorcs and bowzons etc.

i'm pretty sure this would be the most physical damage possible in D2X
    i think even opponents with max dr and 10k life would die in one hit

...just speculation...

)pAnda(

14. Davie.

Davie. IncGamers Member

...Necs will rape you too and Charge has great ar too begin with. You dont wanna charge high def opponents for the most part anyway.

15. pAnda_fury

like i said, if i get a hit in the nec will die - bone armor or not. if they have a full minion stack i might not be able to get a hit in though. i am unsure. if i charge a necro with minion stack, i am guessing it will be a very slim chance i hit the necro and not a minion, is this correct? in this case, i can only think that winning is possible if the minions spread out and i specifically target the lone necro. the only other option i can think of is to put some points in foh and holy bolt in an attempt to kill some of the minions.

addressing your other statement, i dont see your reasoning...correct me if i'm wrong.
    you are saying i dont need angelics because "charge has has great AR already" and then by saying that i shouldn't charge high def opponents, you are implying that my AR is not enough?

i think that for dueling high defense characters like barbs and pallies, angelic combo is a must, and hsarus boots and belt may even be considered. also remember to try and catch the opponent while running, for that is when their defense is 0 and their block is greatly reduced!!

)pAnda(

16. Davie.

Davie. IncGamers Member

Only pallies you really wanna charge at vs em is v/t's and foher's. In which case I agree with u angelics rock. But hammerdins and barbs...thats suicide.

17. pAnda_fury

Could you elaborate please? How is charging hammerdins and barbs suicide? Of course, charging is a barbs/paladins is a bad tactic for pallies that have low AR and only one point in charge but we're talking about a pure charge build here.

Of course you dont charge them while they are in ww or sitting in a hammerfield. You charge them while they are running so that they have 0 def and low block. For those that walk just charge at the right moment and if they block or you miss, run away and repeat...eventually you'll hit and kill.

For those hammerdins that just sit there, just circle them and wait for the right opportunity, or wait for them to make the first move. Patience is the key in those duels. Be patient and do not attack at the wrong moment, otherwise, yes you will die. But hey, everybody dies dueling sometime...

)pAnda(

18. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

Pure charge or not you will not hit a zealot using exile and maxed defiance and holy shield. And doesnt chargeing increase your oppents chance of critically striking you?

19. pAnda_fury

lol of course you will hit them...eventually. it just takes patience and skilled-charging. as for the critical strike - i have heard of that but im not sure it was ever confirmed

)pAnda(

20. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

well, I wouldnt build my crusader after this build, if you want a good one then you have to read all the posts too, do they stick every guide you make now?

:cheesy:
    *priit