Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

critique my proposed assassin plan, please.

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Weltkriegpally, May 22, 2005.

1. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

critique my proposed assassin plan, please.

Hey guys. I have played d2 for about 3.5 years now, but never an assassin. I was recently asked to join a pvm party of 4, and then asked to make a creative build I hadn't done before. Well, an assassin is pretty much it, and I meant to make a trapper/melee hybrid. Just curious if you thought this build decent.

20 phoenix strike
    20 fists of fire
    one in each finisher

one in the shadow tree (one bos, fade, weapon block, and claw mastery)
    20 points death sentry
    3 points fire blast (extra shot and so cheap)
    20 points lightning sentry
    extras to weapon block, or get it to 50 percent early on and rest lightning sentry

well, we are missing the "fire element" to the party, so the thats the reason for the phoenix strike/fof choice. Not sure if you guys thought it would do well, but I am open to all suggestions. Gear would likely be dual tucs, 2 martial/20 ias gloves with stats (have several pairs to choose from), not sure on the boots, not sure on the armor, rare sin ammy with +2 all, resists, mana leech, not sure on the belt not sure on the helm, etc. Help me pick gear and if you see any problems with the build, let me know. Note that I don't want mind blast (this is pvm only, and I don't like converting too well), I don't need a master. She casts mind blast, and there are 3 other members of the party. Aside from that, I am all ears.

thanks for your help and advice!

--welt

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

A few suggestions:
    1) Decrease the FoF investment a bit(maybe around 14), place the excess in LS synergies

2) Be very stingy with skillpoints. You need every point you can spare in Trap synergies, because having only one maxed synergy for LS is a tad low for MP games(though, if it stays around 4 players, not too bad). That means no skills above level 1 in either Martial Arts and Shadow Disciples(no extra investment in WB, your +skills should boost it to a decent level anyway), everything goes into synergies. Ideally, by the end of the build you should have close to two maxed synergies.

3) Shop for a pair of +3 Trap claws(preferably with +LS innate) from Hell Anya, as a weapon switch for casting LS before you head into melee and switch to dual Bartucs. The extra 6 +skills truly help a lot.

4) AR will be a sizeable problem. While you'll have lots of percentage based AR from your Bartucs, you still need some hard AR. One option is Hsaru's Belt + Boots, but that's a tad extreme. Since you will need the +skills from your amulet, Angelic's is probably out. The least invasive way would probably be an Eth and well as gratuitous use of CoS, possibly even a Rogue merc or Blessed Aim merc, or everyone's favourite, Demon Limb.

5) Assuming you don't go with Hsaru's, go with whatever boot you like that requires less than 120 STR(always keep STR/DEX as low as possible, the +40 from dual Bartucs sets you at 119). Defense is irrelevant here, and unless you're aiming for a high STR armor, +STR/DEX is not a priority. Instead, focus on +life and +resists.

6) For belts, much the same as boots. Though if your armor has low PDR or lacks PDR completely, you may want Verdungo's here. Or if your armor has a lot of PDR(i.e. 20+%) or you feel you're a cautious enough player not to need it that much, you could go with the Arachnid Mesh/TGod's Vigor.

7) For your gloves, place any ML on a high priority, as that'll be one of your few sources. Besides that, same as belts/boots.

8) For rings, one Raven Frost(as high +AR as possible) and an SoJ.

9) For armor, anything that resists and +skills, PDR being a secondary objective. 'Chains of Honor' and 'Enigma' immediately come to mind, but cheaper alternatives like Que-Hegan's, ViperMagi, even Shaftstop(if you really want the PDR) are still good.

10) For helms, unless you have a really spiffy circlet, the Harlequin Crest.

11) Stack on those skill charms!

12) If you're playing with a Necro, let him have the corpses and beg him for Lower Resist. :lol:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

3. Weltkriegpally

I am sorry, I guess I should have made my post a little clearer. the point of lightning sentry is only to synergize the death sentry. Basically, it would seem to be a standard melee striker build ( I did read some of the guides), emphasis fire for the party benefit, and with death sentry for the speedy killing it should provide. Also, lightning sentry is only a way around the more dangerous fire immunes in hell (lister comes to mind). Otherwise, most of your suggestions seem very helpful. Thank you, naliworld!

--welt

4. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Just curious, why not Claws of Thunder? That skill works very well, and keeps you in the same groove for attacking.

On another note, you could do a Dragon Tail build if you just want Fire. Your party can take care of Lister and Co. while you deal massive amounts of damage to anything with low Phys and Fire resistances. Amp damage is the best curse most of the time, though lower resist will be more beneficial at other times.

If you want to do a pure trapper route, then Fire Blast makes a very effective killer. It synergizes with your other traps letting you have a powerful lightning and fire attack with no comprimises. This focus also means that you do not need melee equipment. The only reason (imho) to not do this route is if your party still needs a tank of some kind.

Speaking of Lister, that is one of the places you want Mind Blast. He cannot be converted, but casting Mind Blast on him and his minions stuns them and does a knock back. If you don't want him attacking, then that is the best way to stop him with a 'sin.

5. Weltkriegpally

well, I could make a trapper, but it lags me and it lags them, so its not a great idea. 2 or 3 death sentries won't give me too much trouble, though. I am not too worried about mind blast, given that I will be playing with a paladin packing a level 40 holy freeze and another packing a significant fanaticism. Aside from that, the point of fire is because its rarely done, and it seems like it could be a unique and fun build. I might put my extra points towards cot, but I doubt it. It could work, but still unsure. On the note of curses, there won't be any necros in the party, unless someone happens to be packing something with chance to cast on striking, its no good. Still, thanks for the helpful advice. I am just still not sure on some of the gear aspects mostly.

--welt

6. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

If the main use of LS/DS is for the CE effect with lightning damage being a secondary aim, I have to agree with ilkori here, i.e. CoT/PS/FoF or TS/DTail/PS/CoT or LS/DS/FB/CBS.

If you want a truly unique build, you could switch your majors(Lightning damage from the MA tree, Fire damage from the Trap tree), i.e. PS/CoT/WoI/WoF, extra points in DS. While WoF/WoI will not nearly be as effective as the lightning traps, it's not something you see very often, and the problem WoI has with hitting will be pretty much solved by the level 40 Holy Freeze. And it's cool seeing ultra-long infernoes. :)