Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Critique My Character Setup Please...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by gibsonSG, Sep 5, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Critique My Character Setup Please...

As you can probably tell from my posts, I've been asking a lot of questions about Dreamdins. Well, I've been collecting gear so I can build this guy "right" and I think I'm to the point where I can start building him. I only put 10 points into strength and as far as I can tell, even with all my equipment those 10 points were not wasted. Anyways, here's my gear, my skills, and what I hope to do with him.

14/20 Paladin Hellfire Torch
    19/13/10 Annihilus Charm
    CHAINS OF HONOR Archon Plate
    DREAM Bone Visage
    DREAM Kurast Shield
    GRIEF Phase Blade
    Thundergod's Vigor
    Dracul's Grasp
    Gore Riders
    Bul-Katho's Wedding Band / DON'T KNOW YET
    NOT SURE OF AMULET YET

20 Resist Lightning
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Conviction
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice (MAYBE - but unlikely - salvation)

I hope to be able to kill Ubers or Dclones with this build. It should be more than efficient gear-wise, stat-wise, skill-wise. As an auradin I have MAD resists, so that'll help me a lot too. Also, I'm not sure what to do for the amulet and the 2nd ring. I want to try to get a +20 dexterity ravenfrost for that second slot because I need dexterity for both blocking and to wield my phase blade. For the amulet, I'm seriously considering Highlord's Wrath. I don't think a Mara's is worth it because I already have all the resists I need, and I'd rather have highlord's mods (20% IAS, +DS%, etc.) and the +1 skills than the 5 stat points and +2 skills from the Mara's. I'm also wondering if there's a better option I have for my belt slot. To be honest, I think T-gods has some outstanding mods for my purposes, but I should be able to switch out that slot and not have to alter my stat point placement too much...right?

I'm shouldn't be "wasting" too many points into strength and dexterity with the gear I have now. I mean, I COULD hold out for "perfect" stat items, but I think I'm good enough with the ones I have now - it's really only the dexterity thing I'm worried about, however I think some of the points that I will put into it for getting max block % will serve additional purpose in helping me equip my grief phase blade.

On my final note, what are some items I should be having as backup (primarily, on weapon switch - secondly, in stash)? I guess an ethereal Exile will be my next BIG project (for the smite-ing aspect of this character), but what would be a good weapon to have on switch? I hear good thinks about Death or Doom 'zerker axes or something like that, but I'll really be quite content with my grief blade.

2. gibsonSG

I've gotten a chance to get a few more of the items I need but I still have a few questions even after reading some guides. Most notably, the aformented stuff that's yet to get a response, but secondly - it's about IAS. Doll-Call's guide says you need 72% IAS to get a 4FPS zeal with a phase blade. With my grief (36%) and highlord's (20%) that leaves me with 56%. First - which breakpoint would that put me at and second - where would I get more IAS? I already have most of my gear planned out and it doesn't seem that I will have room for it anywhere else. It'd be a shame to sacrifice my Drac's just to get that last 16% IAS...I wouldn't think it's worth losing the CTC life tap, the sick life leech, and the other mods. So yeah...that's where I'm at now.

Off to class!!!

3. niner

niner IncGamers Member

yeah its in my guide http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=414604 that Ive pointed you to 3 times. u need an exile to dump the crap dracs and use some ias gloves. Then u use gimmers on switch with dual dreams to get you through the parts of the game where you cannot melee or wanna use holy shock pulsing. Good rare ring with ravenfrost, Highlords, and t-gods.

4. gibsonSG

...yeah I know you've referred it to me several times. However I'm more into a dreamdin that follows some of DollCall's suggestions/setups than your variant (personal preference I suppose). I was also thinking about other ways I could increase my IAS without getting an exile (if I'm going to make ONE I'm going to go "all out" so to speak...). I could always swap out Thundergod's for Nosferatu's and I could always go with an A1 mercenary and try to arm her with a "Faith" (in a 4os Hydra Bow because they don't get 'Zon bonuses - right?). Not only would that increase my IAS, but also my physical damage component. It seems that most dreamdin's perfer an A1 mercenary for that reason alone. Also, as most casters have a "tank" merc, I would be acting more as the "tank" while the mercenary would act more as ranged support. In that case - is there really too much of a difference between the A1 mercenaries? I know with the A2 ones it's noticably different because they all have different auras...but the same attack.

5. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Actually It was suggested that a Great Bow for the speed would be better. Rogues cannot use zon only items like mat bow or gmb. Its further down in posts in the guide....

6. gibsonSG

...I'm thinking hydra bow for the damage. I'll check up on the Arreat Summit for comparisons of speed and damage. From what I remember, the Hydra Bow has the highest damage. But yeah - about the type of merc; fire's usually a more common choice, is it not?

7. niner

niner IncGamers Member

I use a cold arrow merc and equiped her with dragon and dream with faith great bow. This make her tri-elemental and cold arrows for freezing target in place. + gives her the +5 to max lightning res to survive souls and gloams.

The great bow has better fire rate for her to get off her ctc hydras more often. merc stats can be looked up on first page of diabloii.net under townsfolk. I also keep a +2 cold dmg/7mf sc in inventory for more freezing targets with +4 more on the exile. these make lister and posse stand up straight when I zeal em and also freezes when I throw or hit anything.

8. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

You need to have conviction higher than mephs so you prevent his from having any effect on you ? His is 23 so you need to have at least level 24. If you can try have high enough conviction so you lower the resists by the maximum or -150%.

I am not sure how many of the bad guys are LI. You will have to deal with them doing phy damage and grief can give lots.

You will need crush blow to kill the big guys and have to use smite. Only 1 point is required and it is prereq. for holy shield.

To make most efficient use of your skill points you should put only 1 point in zeal as +skills will let you get the max number of hits.

Your merc won't help much against the ubers and dclone. It is too hot for them and they just die.

9. gibsonSG

...as of now I'll have like at least +7 to skills so having a "better" conviction than Uber-Meph won't be a problem at all. Does it really "cancel his out" though? Does the mere fact that my conviction will have a higher level completely negate the effect of his - or does it just mean that I'll hurt him more than he'll hurt me? And if I remember correctly from an Uber-Run I "sat in on" that all the minions are immune to everything EXCEPT physical.

Thanks for the input though!!!

I'm still mulling over which bow to use. I'm still thinking hydra just for the sheer damage. However, is the "diamond bow" something between the Great Bow's speed and the Hydra Bow's damage? I see some people asking for those on trade forums every now and then. Also, how does the +skills affect the mercenary - does it merely change their graphic's animation or does it actually affect the skill they're using and cause more damage?

10. emar

emar IncGamers Member

You cancel out his lower resists/defence effect to yourself only. It will not apply to merc, and other players.

Hydra is a waste. If you want the big slow bows Crusader has the same avrg damage, same speed and less stats. Your best bet for the bow is Great bow or Blade bow. Almost the same avrg damage and same speed.

I don't bother with plus to skills on the mercs so I can't answer that. From what I heard they got rid of the lighting hose effect on the rogue with plus to skills though. I would imagine that an increased level in her crappy arrow would raise the damage slightly though.

11. gibsonSG

Assuming you get the lowest spawning Faith, you get level 12 Fanatacism which gives the following:

+237% Damage (for her)
    +118% Damage (for me/party members)
    +31% IAS (is this for just her, or whole party - doesn't say at Arreat Summit)

If that's the case...would a crusader bow be worth considering? I don't know exactly off the top of my head how much faster the merc would shoot with 31% IAS, but assuming that the IAS transfers to ME and MY PARTY as well, I won't have to worry about the 16% that I'm lacking for the last zeal breakpoint. I still kinda want high damage I suppose, but I would settle for a happy medium like great/diamond bow too. Now, if the Faith spawned with the highest possible aura mod, I'd get a level 15 Fanatacism aura...which would only add to the sweetness :cool: .

12. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Yes fana transfers to you and anyone within range its a party aura.
    No Hydras arent worthless at lvl 15 pvm with max conviction they work out quite nice.
    As far as uber trisy goes like this. Merc dies instantly, you smite with elite exile till ubers die. mepples whimpy convicion nothing to you cuz you pwn lightning. I use LW, but when I didnt I would use duress/gores for the trist run with the grief. I switched out gores/duress for travs/enigma when I got the LW so I could be badass and have good mf but thats a whole other ball of wax to be a feaseable MF zealot who can whoop up the total hell mode any part.
    other than Tristram Merc runs behind you when attacked, leeches when you kickoff lifetap and has 80 light res from dragon so she doesnt die from gloams. you can get her an extra frame by using crow caw armor and anderials face if u like with the great bow.

And she cooks and cleans dishes........at least mine does.