Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

critique my blizz mf sorc eq

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Superhal, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

critique my blizz mf sorc eq

ptopz harle
    war travs
    mage fists
    10 fcr crafted belt
    10 fcr ring with 15-17 str/dex
    ravenfrost
    pdiamond stormshield (switch rhyme)
    wiz spike (switch dual ist ali baba)
    (trying to get) 20 fcr ammy
    smoke armor

this setup gives me:
    max resists in hell
    110 fcr
    max blocking
    45 phys dam reduce
    300 mf on the switch
    +2 all skills
    @3000 def rating with shiver armor (@60% chance to be hit)

What i would like to add:
    lightning absorb (i thought stormshield had some, it doesn't)
    more mf
    more +skills
    without losing anything above.

some options:
    i have around 31% in all res charms. if i get a few more, i can drop the smoke armor for a high def (400 haha) wealth. i have around 150% in mf charms i can use as well.

ammy is killing me. closest i've done so far is like 17 fcr, nothing else good on it.

i can sacrifice the ravenF. i still get max block without it.

i don't have tal's armor, so plz no advice regarding that. also no cold gc's.

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

given the gear limitations, it looks good. there is better equip, but that is why you are mfing. most notibly you are lacking +skills.

you don't need 110 fcr. blizzard is timered, so it doesn't need any. you only need 70fcr for teleporting. if you do that, it frees up the fcr ring, the ammy, and the belt for mf, +skills or w/e else you want.

3. Superhal

yeah the 63 fcr bp is good for getting past most things in durance. i think a +skills 20fcr craft is going to be tough. i didn't have a single one in .09.

4. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

also i dont understand why people would use a ss due to high str reqs and you would need alot of dex for max block but it is your choice. But as far as the fcr goes i use wizspike / p.diamond lidless to reach the break point. Also if the this is strictly for mf'ing you do not need maxed block just get about 60% and you dont need maxed resist (wizspike lidless should take you out of the negative). my sorc is only lvl 80 and already i can drop hell meph real quick.

5. Koggit

Koggit IncGamers Member

I was curious too about how important maxed block is for strictly MF, I'm currently at level 70 of making my MF Blizz Sorc. You say 60%, but doesn't that only stop physical? You tele past any physical danger and only fight the bosses who use mosly elemental attacks, with the exception of maybe Pindle and Shenk, and I think Meph's ball is blockable but Sorcs can easily tele out of harm's way if Meph can live long enough to cast it.

At level 70 I have 94 unused stat points to distribute, my current stats are...

Str: 80 (70 base)
    Dex: 156 (126 base)
    Vit: 135 (105 base)
    Ene: 65 (35 base)

I'm using Visceratuant and have a 60% successful block rate (I've been trying to keep success rate same as shield rate), I really don't notice any blocks except when doing Baal runs, which really isn't that important later, as once I'm level 75~ I plan on doing nothing more than Andy/Meph/Pindle runs. I feel as though all the points I put into Dex are wasted and have been seriously considering remaking before I get too far with her.

Another thing mentioned that caught my attention was Shiver Armor... is it worth the point to upgrade over Frozen Armor? How much +% does defense get per level with Shiver?

6. Superhal

yeah looks like i got carried away with the ss. at the time, i was into baalruns for levelling. i might remake as an hydrorb though. :) but, i dunno how rabid the dolls are in durance compared to worldstone.

what makes shiver armor the best armor is that it chills on attack, not on hit. i have tested this on .09, and seems to be the same in .10. it has saved me numerous times in baalruns by allowing me to have that extra few frames to tp away from the middle of a group.

7. Superhal

[can't edit last post] i really think 105% fcr is necessary to ensure 100% success on tp'ing. i know that 63 isn't enough for baal tp'ing in full games. while solo durance is a lot safer, even one additional death per say 20-50 runs isn't worth it.

if somebody with a lot of meph run experience could chime in, that would help.

8. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

if you don't tp in the middle of groups and are smart about where you tp, then 63 is plenty. there is no doubt that getting to 105 will help out, but nothing is ever 100% sure of success.

because you only have +2 to skills, i would only go for the 63 bp and get a +2 skills ammy and try to get skills from your other equip.

9. Superhal

*sob*. i only have 1 +2 ammy so far, for my zon. i craft away, but my highest level char is only ** (like a 10% chance of getting +2 with gambled ammy's, 20% chance of gambling one, 3% of gambling a rare one.)

believe me, if i had one, i would use it.

10. Superhal

finally pretty much finished with my meph blizz sorc. she can do her job easily.

too easily. i think i made her twice as strong as she needs to be, ah well.

tanking meph is cool, but blizz actually works better with the moat trick. when he stops moving he doesn't get hit as much.

[edit] heh did about 10 minutes of runs just to test her out with the ali baba on the switch, got a perfect stealskull, witchwild string, and cliffkiller. :)

11. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

you can try using like p topaz tals armor ammy n belt for some other items. maybe 4 ist monarch or something with pretty decent d.

12. FistOfHeaven

FistOfHeaven IncGamers Member

You dont need that much fcr....just make the 73breakpoint,
    I do meph all the time and durance really isnt that hard if u teleport intelligently, teleport along walls you can avoid most packs this way and its harder to become surrounded, also I know that you said that you dont have a tal rashas armour but doing meph runs should get you enough to trade for one rather quickly, my advice for a reasoanly inexpensive sorc is UmorPtopazShako,UmorPtopazTalArmour,Istoccy,SanctuaryRuneword(Ko-Ko-Mal) Tal rashas amulet, tal rashas belt,chanceguards,2fcr rings with good mods. Good boots are Wartravs for mf, Treks,Waterwalks. You get a great mf bonus from 3 tal pieces 112 from ptopaztal,15from belt,65from set bonus, in addition u get mana skills and resists from the belt and ammy.

13. Koggit

Koggit IncGamers Member

I'm having problems getting to Hell Meph, getting past act 1 even, so many cold immune.

Do most get rushed, play in big parties, power up their mercenary, what?

14. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I teleport hell baal runs with 70MF.
    Sometimes my teleport is interupted though. Once i have had an area where i was almost unable to teleport out of. In this case, i was surrounded by probably 100 oblivion knights. Absorb for all elements and 1 rejuv kept me alive for the time it took me to cast close to 10 failed teleports before i got out.

---

Your characters dont need to get rushed, playing with a party will do the trick as well. For me its usually a combination of both. I dont really use a merc on my blizz only sorc. Only hired one in act5 hell to help me do all the bonus quests after i had been rushed trough hell, this way i didnt need to level the merc.

----

Maybe you could have someone else craft your amulets? I had some lvl 95 guy craft 10 safety amulets for me. luckilly one of them had 10% block, 2 sorc skills, 17 dex and 15 energy on it. Besides that i think i got one more with 2 sorc skills, but it had no other worthy mods.
    What realm are you on superhal ?

15. Superhal

i party with all my single tree sorcs. far less frustrating that way. norm/nm doesn't matter as there are very few CI's. for hell i took a ton of shortcuts:

a1: screw all the quests. joined a kill andy game and got the wp. started a new game, tp'd to level 4, tp directly through the north wall, skipping the two rooms and most of the mobs in the 3rd. blizzed in a big circle around the flaming crates. i made the kill, everybody else was goofing off. lazy a$$es. :)

a2: joined a kill duriel game. got the lost city wp. quit, made a new game, tp'd directly to the altar, kicked it. rejoined first game, got arcane wp. quit, new game, went to summoner, killed him (other guys were CI, i let them live...for now.) got the last wp, quit, rejoined the first game (doing all this took under 5 minutes, they didn't even find duriel yet.) i portalled to them, portaled to the staff room, and got them all in there. i also slaughtered duriel. everybody else just stayed dead.

a3: joined a travincial run game. got the tp. quit, started a "kill trav council" game. a couple people joined me, but it didn't matter, none of them were CI. after killing them, you can go to the durance wp. i got there, tp'd to meph, killed him.

a4: the a3 guys continued. we got the river of flame wp, i tp'd, they came, diablo died. (see a pattern?)

a5: got the wp for ancients. had to make several restarts as people who joined were lamers. finally a decent conc barb came and tanked the ancients, killing the one always CI. he and i went on to kill baal.

main point here is speed and skipping quests. you can always go back to a "act 1 den" game later. also, many quests don't need you to kill anything. he couldn't handle frozenstein, so he lured them away, i rescued anya, he got the credit. i tp'd around and set up portals for him to be there when each set of soldiers were rescued.

i had to bring on my zon to clear the way for hellforge though. izual was cake. i still haven't done the gibinn, but i always get screwed on rings. i forget what i did with radament, but i'm sure he was CI.

as a dedicated meph rusher, i didn't bother even making a merc.

16. Superhal

uswest, ladder. i had some hc chars, but they all expired along with my last surviving .09 SC guy.

17. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

ah, i am on europe....

18. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

Well u r wrong... a Holy Freeze Merc will enable u to survive better while teleing thru Duriance 2 as well as tank meph so u dont even have to do the moat trick anymore. Just stick a gaze/tal helm, a high def armor (stone, gladiator bane, valor) and thresher on him. He will hardly die while tanking meph... most of the time u dont even need to feed him health pots.... presumingly you have your synergies for blizz all proper synergized.... u should kill off meph in 4-6 blizz at lvl 80+.

110 fcr is an over-kill unless u r doing pvp. Just make sure u have 63fcr to tele safely to duriance 3. Since u r just doing meph runs, I say hell with resist. You should not be engaging in any battle other than meph and 2 other types of monsters... an occasional council member that appears on the right but a blizzard or 2 should finish him off. Sometimes the mage behind meph may appear. They are always cold immune but ur merc should be able to kill them off quickly. I suggest:

1) ptopz shako - 74 mf
    2) 1.09 occulus - 30 fcr
    3) p diamond lidless - 20 fcr
    4) chanceguard - 40 mf
    5) viperskin - 30 fcr
    6) Tancred ammy + boots - 78mf
    7) dual isted ali baba & ist shield (or rhyme shield) on switch
    8) soj / nagelring

You can also stick to your fcr rings and get a Skullder's Ire with ptopz.

Hope this helps.

19. Superhal

1. no i'm not! :)

2. i can tank meph now if i want. but, he must move to get hit by more blizz shards, so the moat trick is superior in this one specialized case.

3. yep, durance is a cakewalk. i was worried because i "grew up" on baal runs and tp'ing through worldstone.

4. yeah i just changed smoke for wealth. no problems at all.

durance is for wimps! :)

20. Superhal

oh i should update my eq, it changed around mysteriously when i wasn't looking:

shako
    wealth
    baba/rhyme
    wiz/stormshield
    tgods
    dwarf star
    raven frost
    war travs
    magefists
    26 str +1 sorc ammy

i'm sure i can lose the raven/dwarf and tgods if i want. atm though i need the tgods for str for the stormshield, but i'm going to change that to a goldwrap asap.

meph petered out after some early success:
    2X lidless
    2X cloudcrack
    like 10X low end set-items (sigons, cathans, angels, etc.)
    trangs gloves

[edit] drat! i was messing with my eq, and if i use my other spare str charm, i can change rings and ammy for fcr! but i don't have a good fcr ammy! arrgh!