Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cresent Moon RW for a Lit Sorc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jjscud, Apr 29, 2005.

1. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Cresent Moon RW for a Lit Sorc

My lit sorc has been wearing tals set for while but I'm looking for an improved gear setup, unfortunately I'm in the Set trap (its nearly impossible to replace a single item and improve your setup, you've got to replace almost the whole set at once, but that's another topic).

So, I know the normal options, wizardspike or eldritch orb, etc... but I'm looking at the possibility of breaking the LI, if I used Cresent moon (Crystal sword maybe), gryphon's eye and possibly a couple lit facets, could I break all Lightning Immunes? Are there any real disadvantage to doing this that I'm missing?

Also I've got a similar question (except its hypothetical) with doom on a blizz sorc. Any thoughts?

2. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

Only lower resist and conviction can affect monster immunities.

3. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

Isn't there a curse that makes immunes take damage regardless? like...if you cast amp damage on them, it nullifies their immunity.

don't quote me...i know there's something like that but i'm not sure exactly what it is..

but if that were the case, find something with amp dmg charges...a circlet or gloves maybe?

dunno..

4. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

Amp damage only lowers physical resistance

5. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

Yep, it's called Lower Resist. It's not guaranteed to break immunities however. Different monsters have different levels of immunity. Some monsters immunities cannot be broken by either conviction or lower resist or even both at the same time.

A facet is probably not going to be enough to break a resist. It will lower it, but say a monster has 150 lightening resist, if you lower it by 20, that's 130 and it's still over 100 so that monster is still immune.

[edit]- the above is subject to error. This is just how I understand it.

It will up your damage on non-immune monsters though.

6. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

-Enemy resists from gear or cold mastery don't work on immune monsters. But, provided you could break them with a lower resist curse, they would lower them even more. Lower Resist, Conviction, Amplify damage and Decrepify all work at 1/5 efficiency against immune monsters.

Example:
    111 Lightening resist monster affected by -60 Lower Resist curse also using Crescent Moon RW
    Only Lower Resist factored in:
    111-60/5=99
    Still, very high, and -enemy resist from gear would make it more possible to kill.

Now factoring in that -35 from the RW:
    99-35=64
    Very managable to kill.

Now without the curse, the monster would stay immune to lightning:
    111-35*0=111

7. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

It's rather hard to beat full Tal's for any sorc build unless you have some of the top notch rune words and uniques IMHO. If you were using COH/HOTO and such you could probably do it but I think Tals is one of the best ways to go if you don't mind the fugly look. :(

If you want to have a shot at breaking immunities slap a wand with charges of Lower Resist on switch.