Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cresent Moon Rune Word Help Plz

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by jblakely, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jblakely

jblakely IncGamers Member

Cresent Moon Rune Word Help Plz

I want to make a Cresent Moon Polearm for my lighting sorcs merc. I have the following 3 socket polearms, which one would you recommend. They are all about the same average damage but the Manchather has a speed advantage.

Thrasher 12-141 dmg

Giant Thrasher 40-114 dmg

Manchather (superior) 48-110 dmg

Thank you for your help, and would you please explain why?

Jack :drink:

2. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

To get a definitive answer you would need to work out how many attacks per second each one would give, and thus how much damage per second. There is a merc speed calculator somewhere, but I don't have a link. You should also check the requirements to make sure that your merc won't have a problem equiping it.

3. d2 junkie

d2 junkie IncGamers Member

And forget about all those find yourself a nice ETHEREAL polearm and take advantage of the xtra 50% ed and that your merc doesnt use up the durability :D

4. MantrA

MantrA IncGamers Member

if you HAVE to choose between those weapons, threasher is the best but like the other bloke said dont waste an um rune in a non-eth pole arm, look around for a bit

5. jblakely

jblakely IncGamers Member

Ok, i get the point about eth weapon, but I been looking for days and no luck so far. Any suggestion and best place to find some? As for Threasher why? it has nice max damage but really crappy min damage. I was figuring on mancatcher for speed andvantage and the fact its superior. The Giant threasher would require use at a later stage in game cause of str. Let me know if ya have fund any good place to find eth 3 socket items, they hiding from me, lol. And Thanks all for the help. :)

Jack :drink:

6. dave

dave IncGamers Member

i assume u want to give him creasant moon cuz of the -% to enemy light res, right? But as far as i know that only aplies to the char actually using the weapon so ur sorc wont benefit from it im affraid...

7. Onefuryz

Onefuryz IncGamers Member

What realm u on?

Im pretty sure i have either a 3 socket colussus voluge or great poleaxe that u can use.

edit - great poleaxe it is - 69-190 damage

8. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

Well, if that is true then im back to trying to find a eth 5 socket for doom :(. Can anyone verify if thats true, it actually makes sense, guess i was just getting caught up in the excitment of -30 lighting resists and how nice that would be for my sorc. And the fact that you share in his auras and if he cast curses and stuff, but if its just for his attack then if does little good.

9. skihard

skihard Banned

I'll attempt to clear a couple things, the reason for the Thraser is that it has a higher average damage than Manchather and the same average as Gaint thrasher, but with one big advantage, it has lower Strength requirement so it can be equiped earlier.

Cresant Moon is a great weapon for a Shocladin or Spearzon but really IMO only for those 2. The reason is because it only lowers the lightning Resist for the user and then only during the attack with the weaopn itself. Holding it and casting a lighting spell does NOT appear to work for a Sorc unfortunately.

If somone does decide to go with a Shockadin it is a very nice build when maxed and does a very convincing job of killing, but to survive in hell Creasant Moon is a must and with it (I use phase blade for speed) one level 12 zeal attack will take out any Lightining Immune I've ran into so far. The only thing I have not finished solo with this guy is Ancients and Baal.

10. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Yes it does.

Any -resist item (Doom, Crescent Moon, Rainbow Facets, etc.) will take effect on any attack of that element originating from the wearer.

11. skihard

skihard Banned

Ok, Guess my lightning Sorc just sucks then becuse I notice no difference with it in the active weapon slot or when I have it switched. I also haven't noticed my act 3 Lifhtning merc getting a benifit when i gave it to him.

12. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I'd say it's a good weapon generally for anyone who hits fast, e.g. zealots because of the static field. How can you not like enemies instantly being taken down to half health? That is equivalent to you doing double damage (double physical and elemental) and your party doing double damage (unless you already have a sorc using static of course). The magic absorb seems to help a little against those vipers' bone spears too.

13. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Actually I don't necesseraly agree with that. Crescent Moon prettry much sucks as a runeword if you go for pure damage, no matter the 50% Eth or not. The most useful mod on the Crescent Moon is the lvl 17 static field which greatly cripples enemies, if they aren't lightning immune.

Furthermore, if you do lots of Chaos Sanctuary runs, you don't want your merc to have a high damage polearm, becuase he will kill himself continuously with one hit when he gets iron maidened. However, with a bit lower damage Crescent Moon weapon, you usually have some time to get him out of the fray before he commits suicide.

If however you want a Merc to kill for you during pit runs, I'd say go for a different weapon, like an Eth Bonehew or Tombreaver.

14. skihard

skihard Banned

Daemonaz summed up my reason for saying Creasant moon is really only good for Shockadin and Spearzon. It has low damage even with static. In hell half life is the lowest Static will take a monster, from then on it's up to you. A Fan/Zeal Paladin can do a nice job if you make Creasant in a Zerk axe but still there are better Weaons. Don't get me wrong I love Cresant as a Runeword but really only on the Shockadin.

15. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Having tested virtually all the elite unique one-handed weapons on my Zealot Paladin, subjectively my crescent moon conquest sword kills quicker than any of them. I agree that the low physical damage is a disadvantage, especially for slower hitting classes where the static may not be going off very often.

Imagine that with a crescent moon weapon your listed damage was 2k on average. Assuming that you hit fast enough that static goes off almost immediately, you get an effective damage of 4k average (since you only have to deal with half the enemy health). To beat that you would have to have a weapon with more than twice as much physical damage (since the static effectively doubles all your damage, be it physical, magic or elemental - much better than a simple extra 100% ed mod), which means you need a weapon with more than ~400% ed. On top of that, static has the same effect for all party members in the vicinity (level 13 static has a large radius). Only the most expensive runewords or rares can come close (or Stormlash and Schaeffers, obviously). For the low price of Shael+Um+Tir it's incredibly good.

16. skihard

skihard Banned

Let us assume you are going one on one with a monster with 10k in HP in Hell. IF you get Static to go off on your first 2 hits you have taken the monster down to 5k HP, 5625 HP if only Static is applied and no weapon Dmg, (providing the static is applied after weapon Dmg) now you must hit that monster at least 3 more times doing 2000K damage to kill it. So 5 hits will give you a victory and allow you to move on.

Now lets say that when you hit, Static is applied then the Dmg from you weapon is applied. Giving a possible damage of 7k in 2 hits, now you have to take the other 3000 away with 2 hits equaling 4 hits total.

Now let’s say you are doing 3000 dmg per hit with another weapon. Hitting on every swing will kill the monster in 4 hits, so one quicker than with Static applied the first way.

I’m not sure in what order Static is applied and chose the worse case when doing my builds. I may be flawed in this process but no matter it’s the way I applied it.

The big benefit is if you are getting ganged by a pack, you can effectively remove half the hit points from every monster within 12 yrds. This will allow you to finish the remaining monsters with less hits.

This only applies in Hell (because of the 50% limit on static) which is where you want to kill quick. Because of that I think there are better weapons for other builds.

Remember Static only removes 25% of the remaing health not 25% of the starting health. So to get to 50% of the original health using Static only you have to have Static cast at least 3 times.

17. Daemonaz

This also implies that the monster has 0% lightning resistance, which is most likely not the case. It will take several static fields to lower a monster to half his life. Furthermore, the logic is even more flawed, because the second time the static field goes off, the monsters hit points don't drop from 75% to 50% but they drop with 25% of the new and current amount of hitpoints. (And this is all considering the monster has 0% lightning resistance) Therefore Static Field has obviously diminishing returns.

Also, static field only goes off on 7% of your attacks. Zeal is only 5 attacks, does out of 20 Zeals (100 attacks) you will get only 7 times a Static Field effect.

Given all this (Lightning resistances, diminshing returns, maxed hitpoints taken by Static is 50%) I cannot believe that a Crescent Moon is the best 1 handed weapon, at least not in Hell difficulty. It's a good weapon for a Shockadin, but that's it.

18. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Well, it's usual to tackle large groups of monsters at once, so it's a safe bet that by the time the first monster or two have fallen, the rest are at half health.

Plus you need to take into consideration that this benefits the whole party, not just the wielder. This is particularly apparent when killing Baal in a party with no sorc (or one of those coward sorcs who refuse to get near him because they die instantly) - a few zeals and he's at half health, which is half as much work for the party.

19. Daemonaz

Yes that is true, it works on an area, but the problem remains that the last 50% of each monster will go slow. Like I mentioned before it's a good weapon for a Shockadin but I'm certain better 1 handed weapons can be found for other characters.

And we're pretty much off topic, the thread starter was talking about a polearm for a merc :p