Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crescent Moon Phase Frenziers

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by plasteredkittylizard, Mar 15, 2004.

1. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

Crescent Moon Phase Frenziers

What would you guys suggest as a viable route to making a Hell viable 2x Crescent Moon Phase Blade Frenzybarb? I was thinking of taking a standard frenzy build, socketing Lightning Facets, possibly going the DR route by way of Gaze / Shaft and using him to smack at things then hork. I realise that due to the lack of a shield, I will need to either go uber defense by way of iron skin / shout, or go with Warcry to keep buggers stunned - is there another option? I don't mind going defensive if I have to, but I try to keep my warcries in check - the build I was kicking revolved around 20 double swing, 20 frenzy, 20 BO, about 10 find item, and probably pump iron skin / shout if I have to, and sink into natural resists until I'm comfortable in Hell. Suggestions? Most of my Frenzy experience was 1.09, and now that Hell was buffed I want to be prepared before I rush headlong into the abyss....

2. plasteredkittylizard

Silly forum - not letting me edit OR search...

So I revamped, and came across another option....

20 double
    20 frenzy
    10 taunt (instead of mastery)
    20 leap (crowd control)
    and misc points scattered where appropiate.

Sound a little more hell viable? I'd LOVE to try the leap option, if it pans out in game like it does on paper...

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

go mastery before synergy. frenzy needs the AR, and the difference in damage is small. (compared to berserk where you have more AR from your skill already and the dam difference is bigger)

i personally like warcry A LOT. i can adivise doing that.

Dont do leap.

with your find item, it would be nice to use warcry charms as this also alows you to spend less points in warcry.

do only 1-4 in natural resist depending on the amount of + skills you expect.

so that makes:

20 frenzy
    20 mastery
    20 BO
    1-4 NR
    10 find item
    warcry enough to have at least 16 with items and charms. (more prefered)
    after all that, synergies.

4. plasteredkittylizard

The plan thus far:
    Warcries:

1 point:
    Howl
    Find Potion
    Shout
    Battle Command

9 points:
    Find Item

10 points:
    Taunt

20 points: Battle Orders

Combat Masteries:

1 point:

Increased Stamina
    Increased Speed
    Iron Skin
    Natural Resists

Combat Skills

1 point:

Bash
    Double Throw

10 points:

Double Swing

15 points:

Leap

20 points:

Frenzy

Total: 94 points.

Why go warcry versus leap? Warcry grants damage and stun, but the radius is a little tight for me, whereas, a decent level leap is cheap, knocks back, and lets you bail out of a tight situation. It is a matter of preference, I suppose....In any case, thats the build I'm sorta looking at so far. AR won't be an issue as much as normal due to the ITD on the Crescent Moon Phase Blade. Good call on the Warcry charms, once I can afford them. First question: Does this build look fairly solid thus far? Secondly, I'm a bit miffed as far as equipment choices are concerned...I'll only need a tiny bit of IAS to max out with Frenzy, so IAS won't be a problem. My 2 weapon slots are accounted for, as is one ring (Raven). Now, beyond that, I'm thinking that my priorities should be Leech (an ok percentage), Resists (Hell hurts) and then its a toss/up between +skills and PDR. How is this coming so far, and does anyone have any suggestions I can add to the equasion?

5. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

why ask on a forum anyway then ?

6. plasteredkittylizard

Because I'm no fool - I have a slightly clear picture of what I want in mind, but experience is key. Most of the Frenziers I've made in the past have ran out of steam towards the end of Nightmare, and I respect the people who take the time to explain their perspectives, and to share their tales with me. Although I may know where I'd like to go, getting there is entirely another story, and I prefer to heed the call of my colleagues who have towed the line and walked the path than lump it on my lonesome. If I disagree with anyone, it isn't because I don't feel that their arguement is without merit, it is because I have a different perspective I would like to add to the whole, in the hopes that together the pair of viewpoints can shed light on a greater whole.

(Because paper and play are 2 different beasts. I've learned to respect that, and to swallow the pride and ask, instead of bulling through, learning I was wrong the hard way, and still having no clear direction on where to go from there.)

Don't get me wrong - your input was greatly appreciated - as a matter of fact, if you could provide me with insight as to your experiences with warcry, I'd love to have the information! Mayhaps I'm rushing into the whole leap idea without a clear picture of how thing will pan out in play, and I definetly respect the fact that as far as pvm goes, youve proven time and again that you know your information. By all means, if you can help me add to this, please! I won't get anywhere with a biased opinion, but the more input I have, the better idea I have of how to shape this guy.

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

With warcry you stay in one place and depending the terrain, leap could hardly move them or knock them flying...warcry is certain, a bit quicker and IMO a better choice

IIRC some monsters arn't effected by leap but are by warcry

8. plasteredkittylizard

Thanks! To recap with what I have thus far...

The reason I'm trying to avoid mastery is because that locks me into one weapon base, which is why I was looking to go with frenzy synergies. The AR and % to crit are great, but if I acquire a beastly weapon down the line, I'd like to be able to use it as effictively as the Crescent Phasers I'm looking at at the moment. Sacrificing utility for flexibility, to be sure.

The warcry versus leap is an ongoing issue with this char. Warcry appears to be mana intensive, and it has been my experience that if I'm close enough to warcry, I'm close enough to be taking a massive beating. However, you guys have much more play experience than I do with it, I recognize that, I think I'll test both with my current barb, to see which fit my playstyle more. If I can work Warcry in place of Leap, I'll be all for it, and be tipping my hat to you all for the recommendation. Warcry has stationary, damage, stun, and works on bosses in its favor, leap has mobility, casting cost, range, and more party play options going for it. Both good options, itll definetly come down to the wire between the two, but its looking more and more like warcry. Any leapers have anything to add?

Equipment is still a burning question on my mind, as well. I'm not rich, but I'm fair to midland, and patient enough to work towards suggestions. Anyone?

9. memememe173

Level 1 warcry costs 10 mana. There is no way to use warcry for damage unless that is your specific build (ie a Singer, which I will have a guide for in the next 2 days)

10. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

Is that buggy thing with leap still about where if u get hit in the air then u can leap again in that game? If leap is your crowd control, that could get very very annoying...

11. Dabadonut

Dabadonut Banned

Well, i made a Frenzy Barb from scratch with no synergies whatsoever (-.-).

He does really well. So far i have solo'ed hell mode with him just about except for baal which i plan on doing so. Im more of a hybrid but it still works out. These are my Skill Points.

20 Points in Sword Mastery
    20 In BO
    20 In Frenzy
    20 in Whirlwind
    1 in prequisites.
    1 in All Masteries. 5 in Nat Resist
    1 in Howl, Shout, and Battle Commands.

He does pretty well obtaining a decent 8k attack rating and a decent 1000-3000 damage which is killable in hell mode. If you want to know equipment this is what it is :)

Arreats
    40/10 Verdungo's
    Stone Runeword (Scarab Husk) 1783 Defence :D
    Ravenfrost
    Dual Leech Ring w/ Resistsa
    HighLords
    Scarabshell
    Draculs
    224% Grandfather
    226% Doombringer w/ an Eth Rune for chopping off defence.

With this build i do pretty good. But since you have ITD, you should do better but I think Cresent Moon has a 7%(?) chance to cast static field, which is kind of low. And i would put them in something with a bit more damage. Maybe dual berserk axes? I did Swords because thats the only weapon I play with. Well... thats just a bit of my info on a Frenzy/Whirler/Alsogoingabitconcentrate. Kinda weird but he kills in act 5 hell =)

Dabadonut

12. plasteredkittylizard

hehe

Wow - come back to a lot of good input! Thanks, guys. Here goes...

Good call on the Warcry damage - I added it cuz every little bit helps.

Thanks for the Equipment suggestion! Points me in the right direction, at least. The reason I'm going frenzy / dual crescent is to throw mad lightning and static VERY quickly. I was going to socket several Lightning Facets to further improve upon this concept, and I'll only need a tiny amount of IAS to reach 5 fps frenzy with the phasers. If nothing else, I can trade them laster for a better deal....

Nice looking out for the leap bug - a very good point in Warcry's favor!

13. memememe173

I don't think the lightning on the CMs justify the use of Facet's in armor//helm. Especially when you don't have weapon sockets aviable

14. plasteredkittylizard

To be quiet honest, I was looking at the fastest attacks possible with the CMPB and came up with Werewolf, Frenzier, and Zealot as the only viable options, with the Barb coming up top due to the dual swinging action. Hate to say it, but it appears this runeword is SO much better suited to a paladin....in any case, I'm coming up with GREAT ideas for my frenzier, no matter WHAT weapons i use!

15. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

I've personally been using Crescent Phase on my zealot as an experiment, and that damage is great in parties in Act 1 hell, but in later acts it has been pretty low dmg for me, but that's probably because I tend to play in full games.

The static is definitely worth it. Frenzy swings at such a rapid rate. Perhaps you can consider an Azurewrath as a second weapon for a little extra damage. But then again, I'm still sort of confused over which weapon bonuses and stats carry over to your barb from which weapon or both, when dual wielding.

16. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

CMoon phase is a good primary weapon. But IMHO a waste as secondary weapon.
    Use the heaviest sword you can get to secondary, and socket something useful (Ohm, Lo, Ber), NOT shael.
    IAS for frenzy is based only on primary weapon.

17. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

phase...

I'm in the process of building a frenzier as well. Last nite I did some math, and found that if I shift 10 points from frenzy to weapon mastery (instead of max frenzy, I would use 10 frenzy, assuming +5 skills), I would get about the same damage but more critical strike.

Now I'm in a delemma. I've locked myself into using swords (since I was planning on using my CMPB). Looking at the higher end weapons, it seems like Stormlash is a much superior weapon, since it gives 15% to cast static instead of 7%, 33% crushing blow (which is huge), and has higher damage. The tornados won't hurt either. It will even be 10% faster with a Shael vs a CMPB.

Help! I'm that close to restarting my frenzier, but he's already 20ish level and that's a lot of work. I need support to let me know sword frenziers are happy too :)

(I have 1 CMPB, and 1 Doombringer. There's not much other swords out there that seems good, besides BOTD CB...)

18. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Sword frenziers are happy too! hehe
    The problem with scourges is that if you use a scourge as primary weapon, you SHOULD use a scourge as a secondary weapon.

With your setup, you´ll do well with a CMoon phaseblade (awesome primary weapon) and Doombringer OHM/LO/BER (good secondary weapon, GF is better).

19. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i've made 2 frenziers (i'll call them #1 and #2 for short):

#1 was my first .10 char. he ran out of steam in the beginning of hell because of lack of resists and killing power. i didn't put any mastery. i tried various methods to keep him safe (war cry, leap, grim ward,) and nothing really worked. war cry depends on fcr, which, you can imagine, i didn't have a lot of. leap is total junk in hell. if you've ever seen a kb zon in hell, you can see for yourself that it does almost nothing. grim ward was ok outside of hell, but in hell, the mobs ran past it before they were affected by the aura.

#2 finished hell solo in beta. the main reasons for his success:
    damage: i invested totally in crushing blow: guillame's face, black tyrant club, gore riders.
    defense: shield, max block, and resists.
    strategy: by having conc/shield/black on the switch, i could stay in corners and kill anything.

imho, rather than gamble on the war cries, stick to damage, defense and strategy. use your points for the basics.