Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Creating Windows partition, experts needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by oscarmk1, Mar 27, 2004.

1. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Creating Windows partition, experts needed!

Hello,

I just have a few questions actually,
    1. Can i create windows xp partition, even though i already have a windows xp installed?
    2. Will creating the new windows xp partition, give me a clean new registry?
    3. Can i play diablo in Linux?
    Thank you,
    Oscar

2. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

For Diablo (or any Direct X game for that matter) you will need some sort of Direct X emulating program. You can ask any of the Linux gurus around here, and they'll probably be able to tell you of a few.

I dunno about the specifics behind windows partitions.

3. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that you can't add another partition to your hard drive. You need to reformat and start fresh. I also don't think that you can have more than 1 home or professional xp under one partition.

*correct me if I'm wrong*

4. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

yeah...your current partition is taking up most of the space..and i don't think that can be divided without some formatting involved...

5. 220683

220683 IncGamers Member

yeah, partition programs can create new partitions without formatting. (such as partition magic). To have 2 OSes, you would need them on separate partition and install multi-boot software.

6. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I think you're misunderstanding a few things in regards to hard drive partitioning and OS installation. First of all, yes you can create a new hard drive partition, but that doesn't mean that you'll have anything installed there, or any data there at all, until you put something there. From what I can tell here you're wanting to reinstall XP, and then dual boot with Linux. This is entirely possible, but easiest if you reinstall XP first, then install Linux, as Windows doesn't like to play nice when it doesn't think it's the only OS loaded.

However, in case I guessed wrong, I'll answer your questions above.

1. Yes.

2. No.

Yes, provided you use make use of WineX.

7. oscarmk1

If creating a new hard drive partition means that i dont have anything installed there, how come i dont get a new registry?.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You cannot do this with fdisk(if that is what you are wondering) as fdisk will delete you whole HD(well really just the FAT/NTFS files) and therefore not help you much. Get Partition Magic8 it is a wonderful program and lets you create, resize, change format, etc without losing your info.

9. oscarmk1

Ok ive heard so many good things about partition magic, so first where can i get it?

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Here

11. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Because then you'll have the partition you have now (but smaller), and an empty partition. Basically, the registry is one or two files which tend to be rather important to Windows, and won't exist on a partition unless you install Windows there.

12. oscarmk1

Im not sure i understand you completely, ok so lets say i create a new partition and install windows xp there, you are saying that it will have the same registry as the one im using right now?. Because thats what i DONT want, because im having problems with my registry, that dont let me connect to any online games at ALL.

Also if i install linux as a partition, will those windows registry problems go away?, i would assume yes since its a differente OS, but i ask anyway.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Ok here we go.

A partition is almost like having a seperate hard drive. At least that is what your OSs are going to see. If you make a new partition there and put XP there then you will get a new registry, the old one won't bother you at all. If you put Linux on there you won't have any problems with the registry. The real question is why on Earth would you want to keep the partition you have now that is not allowing you to connect? If I were you I wouldn't worry about it and simply burn everything I want to keep onto some CDs and then do a fresh install of Windows.

Oh and installing Linux won't help the registry problem, but while you are using Linux you won't have any problems with the Windows registry. I would recomend you get some help setting Linux up since it can get semi-complicated.

14. oscarmk1

Hello,
    yes im aware that installing linux wont help with my windows registry , but i dont care. The reason im keeping win xp is because im not the only that uses this comp, and they dont wanna reformat.

So as i see it either installing Linux or Win xp as a partition, even though the old win xp will still be crap, i wont have any of the old problems in the new linux or win xp partition am i right?

EDIT: And yeah i definily need some help, fortunatelly for me i know a friend familiarized with win xp and linux partitions, so hes gonna help me on sunday.

RE-EDIT: I just realized that parition magic isnt freeware, is there anyway to get it, without paying?, or is there like a free demo or trial version?. I guess i can always find the crack or serial to upgrade it, but where can i download it first?. Any help would be apreciated.

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Not any freeware version of PM8 is availible, at least not legally. I also wouldn't recomend that you use some non-commercial partition software, at least with PM8 you get a garuntee that it won't destroy your stuff, with freeware you don't get that garuntee. Using Windows XP will probably be better since you will have a waaay easier time looking for drivers and such, Linux is hard to get somethings. Good luck on Sunday!