Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crazy computer problem, help me!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo2addict, Mar 23, 2004.

1. diablo2addict

diablo2addict IncGamers Member

Crazy computer problem, help me!!!!

Ok.
    Firstly, I'm running windows XP. I just updated my virus definitions, (Norton antivirus) and did a virus scan, and also an ad-aware scan. Both tell me my comptuer is clean.

So here's the problem:

-- my computer suddenly slows down, and I look at the task manager and explorer.exe is using about 90% of the cpu, and more ram than any other application... problem is fixed by restarting (or control+alt+delete and then new task > explorer) but then it Comes back.

-- and then this just happened today: The recycle bin has the FULL icon. I hit "empty" and it says "sure you want to delete windows?" If I hit yes it says file access denied (file in use or protected) -- but the weird thing is , when I open my recycle bin , it's empty!!!!!

Maybe related problems, maybe not.

Ideas?

2. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

restart...?

3. London

London IncGamers Member

Scary man, thats one reason why I won't run XP. Good luck to ya man!

4. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I think I found your problem.

Solution: go to dell.com buy a new one and hope it doesn't happen again.

what did you think i would say...use a mac? LOL yeah right...there's no right click..how would you do anything?

seriously, i have no idea...but if you can get it to run long enough ot get all your stuff off of it I'd do that...back up everything that you need, then totally reformat. it's so nice after it's done...it's almost like oyur computer is new.

5. diablo2addict

diablo2addict IncGamers Member

"but then it Comes back."

Thanks. But in my experience there's no such thing as luck. [/awesome obi-wan kenobi quote]

Yeah, I was thinking reformatting should get rid of the problem. Does anyone else have any other ideas? That's kind of my last resort, it's a big pain to back up all my files to cds...

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Yeah, there's no possible way to compute without a second mouse button! Oh wait, I have a five-button mouse on my Mac right now! Hmm, which button can I use to send the "don't talk about things you don't understand" message? :cheesy:

EDIT: There are some threads out there like this one and MS has help docs like this one that might help.

7. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

This is (most likely) because you have files in your recycle bin that Windows doesn't usually allow you to see. There was a similar phenomenon with 98, where you could find super hidden folders in Windows\Temporary Internet Files with random alphanumeric names if you used the find command. If you knew the exact name of the folder, you could work with them, but they'd still be hidden as before. More often than not, the files would be in use and after moving them to the recycle bin, you wouldn't be able to remove them, so you'd have a full bin, but it appears to be empty. After a few tries/restarts, it was usually possible to get the recycle bin to appear empty however.

8. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

it's actually a virus. Microsoft OSs ship with a virus and have for the last several years. they have yet to fix it. anti-virus software can't even detect it. It's called the windows virus. You can verify you have it by opening an explorer window and going to help- if you see an option "about windows" then it means you have the virus. call up microsoft and ask them how to remove the virus. if they deny that their product ships with a virus tell them that you checked and it does. be persistant.