crafting

Royaumm

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone have any advice on getting pgems? I usually run cows and chaos in hell and I keep track of any shrines near wps and I check those every game. Is there any better strats out there? It works pretty well but I wanna know if there are any other options. I have tried running new chars for forge but that takes too long so I switched to farming/shrine method but I could use any other good strats

as for runes I run nm countess. and that works extreamly well.

I love crafting but on my nec without tele I am having a hard time finding enough pgems.

any help would be apreciated

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I got a bunch of gems when running CS by holding a flawless amethyst and hitting gem shrines, but I also gathered quite a few from Travincal runs. LK is a nice safe way to get them, you play HC I think? Also, I keep normal amethysts - they add up enough to be worth it in my opinion.

Royaumm

Diabloii.Net Member
another crafting related question, what would the cube recipe be for crafted items? Is it the same as magic or rares? or can u only use socketing quest?

And thanks! Ill run trav too! I also like them because they are a quick mf spot with tons of unique monsters.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
another crafting related question, what would the cube recipe be for crafted items? Is it the same as magic or rares? or can u only use socketing quest.
I'm with Kitteh, I do not really understand either, but if the question is about creating sockets in a crafted item, then yes, Larzuk is the only way. This will create one socket in the item.

But the random affixes (a maximum of 4) in the crafting itself can result in rolling the 'Mechanic's' affix, which gives the item 1-2 sockets. Such an item (that already has socket(s)) can't be used for the socket quest reward, though.

Yng

Diabloii.Net Member
If you’re not bothered by the hinderance to your rune output LK is a really good spot for Flawless. Don’t cube until you have bulk, just fill up your stash and transfer to gomule as you go.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
+1 to doing something else and keeping a flawless gem of interest on you at all times for gem shrines. Find a target you enjoy running (some area like AT, CS, cows, council, baal, etc.) and if you're lucky you'll get a map with a gem shrine. Even without a gem shrine you'll build up gems over time. Single targets aren't nearly as good as killing groups which is why generic area running is probably the most efficient. The semi-exception is LK or council.

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
Pretty tough to beat LK, particularly when you factor in runes, blue/yellow jewels, and charms.

I run with max block sorc with 105FCR & ho hum gear + merc with insight/rattlecage/face of horror.

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
Agree, but some also play for wealth. On my restart, I spent a couple weeks of intensive running and was able to make Infinity, cube up 1,200 gems, find 27 skillers, etc. My post is here.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Agree, but some also play for wealth. On my restart, I spent a couple weeks of intensive running and was able to make Infinity, cube up 1,200 gems, find 27 skillers, etc. My post is here.
Absolutely, I didn't mean to suggest that playing for wealth/efficiency isn't totally fine too :p

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I'm crafting nothing but caster amulets (Ral+pamethyst+jewel+magic amulet) and blood rings (Sol+pruby+jewel+magic ring). Therefore I'm picking up and upgrading flawless gems, keeping prubies and pamethysts while the other pgems go into the cube, to reroll GCs.

The amulets are gambled and crafted with a L93+ character which ensures that all of them have a chance for +2 to skills. Regarding rings, I'm using lower-level characters for gambling and crafting (although at least level 74, so they all have four random affixes) because a few ring affixes result in rather high level requirements.

I made the experience that it takes longer to get a pamethyst than a Ral rune, so I'm using gem shrines to upgrade flawless amethysts while throwing away excess Rals (I have plenty of unused ones in my stashes). Sol runes are more rare than prubies, however, so excess prubies are used to reroll GCs as well.

Of course, I'm keeping a certain reserve of runes and gems needed to make Insight runewords and the like, to upgrade unique weapons and armor and to add sockets to nonmagical stuff. I stopped picking up Spirit runes because I have half a dozen unused ones with 35% FCR. I'm keeping all Hel runes, however, to unsocket cheap runewords with bad variables.

Edit: Level 74, not 73!

Last edited:

Royaumm

Diabloii.Net Member
I am going to level him but as soon i hit lvl 92-95 im going to switch to using everything crafted. Sounds like a lot of fun! with runewords and uniques you can hit endgame gear easily but with all crafts it will be like classic again sorta where his build cant be cookie cutter and i will always be able to craft him gear better or find some res im missing and gearing a char that way is always my favorite way to make the builds by literally making them! And with crafts you can get great ones but you never get the perfect thing. Always room for improvement which i seriously love. I love grinding instead of getting lucky and finding like a Lo for fort or a coa and my helm is set forever. I was thinking of doing all blood at first but then i was thinking maybe the shield/amy should be safety? What do you guys think? Its for my meleemancer who has maxed boneshield/wall/prison so mdr reduced by x I think should be worth something cus the res will probably be an issue without tons of crafting supplies.

thanks for all the advice everyone! my question before was can i use the rare soj crafting recipe to socket crafted items just like you can with rares? if i dont get any jewelers mods i need 4 sockets (wep,shield,armor,helm) and only have 3 socket quests. I will probably need like um's or something in them all unless i find nice jewels (when i get really picky I will switch to all crafted with rare jewels cus im crazy like that :p ) But also as I craft upgrades i will need new socket options. I already found 1 soj so I was hoping i could use the soj cube socket method wit9h crafted items like you can for rares.

Royaumm

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm crafting nothing but caster amulets (Ral+pamethyst+jewel+magic amulet) and blood rings (Sol+pruby+jewel+magic ring). Therefore I'm picking up and upgrading flawless gems, keeping prubies and pamethysts while the other pgems go into the cube, to reroll GCs.

The amulets are gambled and crafted with a L93+ character which ensures that all of them have a chance for +2 to skills. Regarding rings, I'm using lower-level characters for gambling and crafting (although at least level 73, so they all have four random affixes) because a few ring affixes result in rather high level requirements.

I made the experience that it takes longer to get a pamethyst than a Ral rune, so I'm using gem shrines to upgrade flawless amethysts while throwing away excess Rals (I have plenty of unused ones in my stashes). Sol runes are more rare than prubies, however, so excess prubies are used to reroll GCs as well.

Of course, I'm keeping a certain reserve of runes and gems needed to make Insight runewords and the like, to upgrade unique weapons and armor and to add sockets to nonmagical stuff. I stopped picking up Spirit runes because I have half a dozen unused ones with 35% FCR. I'm keeping all Hel runes, however, to unsocket cheap runewords with bad variables.
What level would you recomend i start to craft? I dont want to end up with an insanely high lvl req but i could grind for low 90's I also dont need and +skills on him and I have way too many left over points and whatever skill would realistically only add 10 dmg too my bone shield... So if it hapens to have nec skills I will use it but if it has 2 nec skills versus an ammy with 1 light radius i honestly would go radius lol

edit: after reading through the preset mods I'm thinking about safety boots, ammy, shield. Then Blood rings, gloves, belt, helm, and weapon. Do you think that's ideal for a melee with boneshield? Obviously any of them depends on how good the craft is for him but do you think that's the best of the presets?

edit2: also luckily he has no magic find so i get a lot of magic items from bosses which will work better than gambling at lower levels

Last edited:

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
What level would you recomend i start to craft? I dont want to end up with an insanely high lvl req but i could grind for low 90's I also dont need and +skills on him and I have way too many left over points and whatever skill would realistically only add 10 dmg too my bone shield... So if it hapens to have nec skills I will use it but if it has 2 nec skills versus an ammy with 1 light radius i honestly would go radius lol
Apart from picking up rares, I would rather gamble for these kinds of items or even use the Charsi reward while saving up crafting material for later times.

The problem with low-level crafting it is that if the item has an item level of 70 or less, it might have less than 4 random affixes which is worse than the chance to have one with a high level requirement. Therefore I would go with the minimum level needed for a guarantee of 4 affixes when crafting rings (L74) and the minimum level for a guarantee on a chance for +2 to skills regarding amulets (L93) assuming that you are using gambled rings or amulets as sources.

The level requirement for crafted items is the requirement of the highest affix plus 10 plus 3x the number of random affixes. The 6 mana leech affix for rings has a level req of 74 which will result in level 96 of a crafted ring. It's less likely to happen for amulets. In my opinion, those worth keeping usually have +2 to skills (although I wouldn't say no to one with +2 to a skilltree and lot of fcr, for example) and it needs a high-level character to achieve that.

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/crafted-items-level-requirements.596545/

https://diablo3.ingame.de/diablodb/affix_index.php?lang=en&version=lod&patch=111

pharphis,

Thanks for tagging me, bro. Possibly the worst post I've read in 10½ years.

(note: Based only on what was quoted for me).
I think that from this point on, I will not just keep on throwing them away, but crush them with my heels and feed them to the chickens in the Rogue Encampment while thinking of both of you until I have a convincing explanation why I shouldn't do so. I can be pretty spiteful, so it will have to be a really useful application, one that gives me more satisfaction than that, HAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Edit: Level 74, not 73!

Last edited: