Crafting Questions

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Crafting Questions

Sometime in the future I will be building a PvP "Boner" necromancer, so I am "hoarding" gear in the present. Some of the stuff I can get very easily, but when it comes to the rings, amulets, and boots, I will have to wait longer because some of these things are very expensive. My question pertains to crafting caster amulets. I ran a search and read some things about crafting, but I wanted to clear a few things up. My main question is this: what level does my crafter have to be to create something that will spawn with these mods:

+2 Necromancer Skills (all - not a "tree")
+FCR%
+All Resists
+Strength
+Dexterity
+Life
+Mana

For the last 4, it can be any combination of them, but the first three are a must. I believe I read too that a 10% or 20% FCR mod will stack with the fixed 5-10% FCR mod, so it is possible to get > 10% FCR on a crafted amulet. I read things saying you need to be level 93 for this to be possible but was unclear on the emphasis of this being a necessity. Some posts said it's BETTER (but not a requirement) to be ~ level 93 to craft something with +2 skills (not a tree, but for a class), while others said you MUST be level 93 to attain these mods. I'm just wondering which it is, because it will determent whether or not I have to go back to leveling my crafter (who is at level 90 right now).

Thanks.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometime in the future I will be building a PvP "Boner" necromancer, so I am "hoarding" gear in the present. Some of the stuff I can get very easily, but when it comes to the rings, amulets, and boots, I will have to wait longer because some of these things are very expensive. My question pertains to crafting caster amulets. I ran a search and read some things about crafting, but I wanted to clear a few things up. My main question is this: what level does my crafter have to be to create something that will spawn with these mods:

+2 Necromancer Skills (all - not a "tree")
+FCR%
+All Resists
+Strength
+Dexterity
+Life
+Mana

For the last 4, it can be any combination of them, but the first three are a must. I believe I read too that a 10% or 20% FCR mod will stack with the fixed 5-10% FCR mod, so it is possible to get > 10% FCR on a crafted amulet. I read things saying you need to be level 93 for this to be possible but was unclear on the emphasis of this being a necessity. Some posts said it's BETTER (but not a requirement) to be ~ level 93 to craft something with +2 skills (not a tree, but for a class), while others said you MUST be level 93 to attain these mods. I'm just wondering which it is, because it will determent whether or not I have to go back to leveling my crafter (who is at level 90 right now).

Thanks.

The final level of the craft has to be 90 or higher. The equation used is :

1/2 character's level (rounded down) + 1/2 the level of the amulet used to craft (rounded down)

This means, with a level 90 character, you need to have a level 90 or higher amulet. This doesn't mean level 90 required to use it, but the item's level (something the game doesn't show, you have to know based on which monster dropped it, or what level character gambled it).

The best way to get these high level amulets is to gamble for them. Gambling will give you a chance to get an item whose level is 5 below that of the gambling character, or 4 above, randomly. What this means is that you have a 50% chance that any amulet you gamble with a level 90 character, when used by that character for crafting, will be capable of spawning the +2 skill mod - the highest level mod on that list.

Each level you gain will increase the chance that that mod will be available, up to level 93. At level 93, any amulet you gamble and then craft (with that same character) will have a final level of 90 or higher, and have the 2 skills mod available.

FrostBurn

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm basically repeating what has already been said:

FrostBurn said:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml

When you craft, you want a guaranteed chance of the 4 random affixes spawning.

Say you use items found from regular monsters in level 85 areas, and you want a 100% chance of 4 affixes,
ilvl = int(.5 * clvl) + int(.5 * ilvl)
71 = int(.5 * clvl) + int(.5 * 85)
71 = int(.5 * clvl) + 42
29 = int(.5 * clvl)
clvl = 58 to have a 100% chance of 4 random affixes with an ilvl 85 item

As you can see, it depends on two variables i.e. your clvl and the ilvl of the input item.

The more common question is 'What clvl should I be to craft a +2 (char) skills amulet?' As that can only spawn on amulets with ilvl 90+, and assuming you are using an ilvl 85 amulet as the input item:
90 = int(.5 * clvl) + int(.5 * 85)
90 = int(.5 * clvl) + 42
48 = int(.5 * clvl)
clvl = 96

The most efficient way to craft an ilvl 90 amulet is to use amulets gambled by a clvl 93 char as the input item. Gambled items have ilvl of -5 to +4. The lowest ilvl of a gambled item at clvl 93 would be ilvl 93 - 5 = **.
ilvl = int(.5 * 93) + int(.5 * **)
ilvl = 46 + 44
ilvl = 90

So there is no 'best level'. It depends on what affixes you want a chance at spawning on your crafted item, and your clvl, as well as the ilvl of the input item.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
The final level of the craft has to be 90 or higher. The equation used is :

1/2 character's level (rounded down) + 1/2 the level of the amulet used to craft (rounded down)

This means, with a level 90 character, you need to have a level 90 or higher amulet. This doesn't mean level 90 required to use it, but the item's level (something the game doesn't show, you have to know based on which monster dropped it, or what level character gambled it).

The best way to get these high level amulets is to gamble for them. Gambling will give you a chance to get an item whose level is 5 below that of the gambling character, or 4 above, randomly. What this means is that you have a 50% chance that any amulet you gamble with a level 90 character, when used by that character for crafting, will be capable of spawning the +2 skill mod - the highest level mod on that list.

Each level you gain will increase the chance that that mod will be available, up to level 93. At level 93, any amulet you gamble and then craft (with that same character) will have a final level of 90 or higher, and have the 2 skills mod available.
...so how much greater are my odds of getting my desired mods if I DO level to 93? If the chances aren't too much greater, I'll just stay at my current level and take my chances. When it comes to attaining amulets for crafting, I always just gamble them (with my level 90 character). I'm just wondering if it's worth leveling my character to 93 - it doesn't seem worth it if the odds of getting what I want aren't drastically increased/affected.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
You could ask someone with a higher character to gamble and craft for you.
...doesn't seem worth it for two reasons. First, I'd be wasting someone else's time to have them do it for me (transferring, actually doing it, etc.). Second, I'd have to find a time when we're BOTH able to do it. I figure that as a level 90 character, I have a pretty damn good chance of getting most of the mods I want on one amulet, but I want to know if it is SIGNFICANTLY more likely for me to get them on one amulet if I am at level 93.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
...doesn't seem worth it for two reasons. First, I'd be wasting someone else's time to have them do it for me (transferring, actually doing it, etc.). Second, I'd have to find a time when we're BOTH able to do it. I figure that as a level 90 character, I have a pretty damn good chance of getting most of the mods I want on one amulet, but I want to know if it is SIGNFICANTLY more likely for me to get them on one amulet if I am at level 93.

As it stands now, as I said, you have a 50% chance that a amulet your character gambled, when crafted by that character, will be ilvl 90.

With level 91, it's a 60% chance.
With level 92, it's a 90% chance
With level 93, it's a 100% chance.

The rest of the mods you're looking for have much lower ilvl requirements, so you can get all the rest of them at the level you have now. The only concern is the +2 skills.

Athelstan

Diabloii.Net Member
I think an increase from 50% to 100% is worth it, especially if you are serious about crafting. Or, you can just do what I do, and get quietus to craft your stuff for you. :grin: