Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Crackling music...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Apr 2, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Crackling music...

Lately, songs that i have played many many times on my laptop seem to crackle. Especially the more heavy-metal type songs.

It's not the speakers, i checked. And it isn't the songs, they used to play fine for the longest time, then eventually they started crackling more and more with each use...

New songs i download don't crackle. I defragmended my laptop and the same problem remains. I switch media players, and it still happens. Even happens to the new naruto episodes i download :confused:

It can possible be an overhating problem, but i got my laptop dusted and the problem remains. Any ideas?

2. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I've never heard of song files degrading over time. That's odd. Looks like the cable gnomes have struck again, but this time it looks like they're IN your computer. Tough luck man.

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. It began with crackling and eventually progressed to severe distortion. I tried updating drivers, checking the audio card, waving a chicken at the monitor while burning a candle and chanting something about muskrat love. Nothing worked.

That is until I changed out the external speakers. Come to find out the speaker amp fried on me. Since you are using a laptop I'm assuming the amp is on the motherboard.

I feel your pain bud.

4. DrunkPotHead

Can it still be the amp on the motherboard when the crackling can be heard when i plug in external speakers/headphones/built-in laptop speakers?

5. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

It can if the problem is in the pre-amp circuitry which the headphones are tied directly to and the same place in the circuit where the pre amp out is that you tie external speakers to.

In short, yes.

6. DrunkPotHead

Damnit! Is there a way to fix it without replacing the whole motherboard/laptop?

7. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Welllll...If you know how to use an oscilliscope and multi-meter and have a schematic of the board (the schematic can be worked around if you know what you are doing) and have the skill/equipment to de-solder and solder on a multi layered board then yes.

In short, no.

8. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Dont listen to Freet, he knows not of what he speaks. Just kidding.

Yes, there is a way to fix it. Just purchase a USB sound card that will bypass all of the on board sound circuitry. If you need recommendations, I have some links that will take you to places that will get you set up.

9. DrunkPotHead

I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks a bunch.

10. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

That forum has some extremely knowledgeable posters on it, but just do everyone a favor and search through all of the currently existing posts, since I guarantee you will be able to find at least a dozen threads that already exist that give you good information about laptop external soundcards.

Edit: As a sidenote, the forum I posted is full of audiophiles and have very high taste when it comes to sound, so if you are not the same, take everyone's praise and criticism concerning audio quality with a grain of salt since if you are not great at discerning it, most will sound just fine to you.

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

You have to hand it to Freet, though, those posts were funny. Got me to laugh out loud, anyway.

12. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Yeah, well, there is that I suppose.

Yaboosh, you realize you screwed up my chance to buy a laptop really cheap, right?

13. DrunkPotHead

*hands Freet the banning stick*

Thanks for the info Yaboosh. I'm going to look into that.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

You know he meant your laptop right? And Freet, just go beat up some little kid and take his laptop. Go find a middle school technophile. All you gotta do is turn those kids upside and shake 'em and so much circuitry will fall out, everyone will wonder why it's raining resistors.

15. DrunkPotHead

Obviously.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

If it had been me, I'd have given the old fart's knee a whack with the banning stick before handing it over to him. Trying to rip off us youngin's. We gotsta stick together!