Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cow running - [n00b questions inside]

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tragor, Aug 17, 2010.

1. tragor

tragor Diabloii.Net Member

Cow running - [n00b questions inside]

I've been looking through the Cow Running / Rune Hunting thread and realised that I was getting rather confused. Rather than hi-jack that thread I thought I'd just ask the questions and get on with things.

How does Cow Running work? As I understand it, the following things are true:
    - As long as you don't kill the Cow King, you can return to the cows as often as you want
    - Only the Cow King can drop the Cow King set items

So, reading through the afore-mentioned MFO/Rune Hunting thread, I was confused by people saying they'd accidentally killed the king or were hoping for green boots, hats, etc. But both of those events should (I thought) prevent you from accessing the Farm. Which, in turn, would put a rather severe constraint on your cow running.

Am I missing something?
    Can you get back to the farm after you kill the King?

:dontknow:

After 7 years of off and on playing, I should know this stuff .. but I've only got about 3 Mats/Pats so it's not like I visit the Hell Cows very often. I've heard it's a good place for drops so best to get the skinny before I jump in.

2. LD50

LD50 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Cow running - [n00b questions inside]

As long as you don't kill the cow king, you can open the portal, yes.

All cows can drop the cow set items, although the king has the best drop chance for those.

If you have killed the king, you can still enter the portal, if some other char that has not killed the king, opens the portal.

Cows is really not a good place for drops, other than runes, charms, gems and socketed stuff.

Sorry for blunt formatting but the brain is not cooperating very well :p

3. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

This usually involves MP, or running two instances of the game where one person can open the portal, anyone can enter, and as long as the person that opened is either not present in the game or not within x screens of the king when he's killed is able to still open the portal. (I think, it's been years since cows)

4. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

To my knowledge, it works like any other quest. If person A is in the moo moo farm killing cow, and person B is either standing around in town or in the moo moo farm near A, and they are partied, then if/when A kills the king, then B will also no longer be able to open portals.

However, so long as either the two are not partied, or B is both not near A and not in town at the time of king death, then B will continue to be able to open portals.

I have not done extensive testing of this, but I have never noticed it to work differently. YMMV.

5. nubikoen

nubikoen Diabloii.Net Member

As far as being able to open the cow level there are a few simple rules.

The only way you can lose the ability to open the portal is if you; 1. Kill the cow king - or 2. Are in the cow level when someone else, who at the time of the kill can open the portal, kills the king. Being close to the kill or at the other end of the level doesn't matter, nor does being partied or not.

Back in my b.net days I did many many thousands of cowruns with a set group of people. We always had a dedicated king killer, and as long as he or she got the king kill, we never lost an 'opener' :)

6. tragor

tragor Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks everyone.

I had a feeling the answer was simple. As a dedicated SP'er, I guess I'll just keep the King alive if I want to play with the herd.

Cheers :thumbsup:

7. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

The cow king is always immune to lightning, so most cow runners are typically lightning based (either lit-sorc or javazon). You still need to pay attention to your merc, as he'll eventually go off and attack the king.

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

I usually clear an area near the king's area and plop a TP down. Then I lure the king over to the portal and pop out, stranding him there. Then I can cover the rest of the area without having to worry about him.

I would like to add that I think this is the most annoying bit of game design. Punishing a player for killing in this game should never be the case.

I'll add too that the cow set can be found from chests and other popables in the cow area... not just from the cows themselves.

9. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

I've wondered about this for a long time - thanks Shagsbeard for confirming! :thumbup:

10. Goths

Goths Diabloii.Net Member

I would to add, that the chest have a very nice drop rate for jool and charms