Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cow Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grishnakh, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

Been a few months since my most recent restart now and I find myself in need of a few bases. I had a few questions as to what items cows can drop. The biggest is can a normal cow drop a berserker axe? I guess I should also ask if cows are the most efficient place to look. I was hoping my blizz sorc would find some suitable ones in the 3k or so AT runs I've done recently, but no such luck.

I have a javazon all ready to start making hamburger just waiting on some input.

2. dOOmas

dOOmas IncGamers Member

Its all luck really,i usually go for base hunting in hell cows.
    I've found a few decent bases in AT.

3. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

You best bet is large quantity of monsters with high mlvl that you can kill very fast, if possible with 0%MF.

Hell Cow Level is mlvl81 iirc so not all bases can drop there. Berserker Axe for instance is qlvl85.

Depending on what you're after check qlvl on Arreat Summit and then check area level (can't remember on the top of my head where I used to check those), ATMA's drop calculator is pretty decent for that job.

For everything qlvl81 and lower Cows should be fine. For everything higher a screen cleaner in the Pits is nice since it's the easiest of the lvl85 Areas. Poison+Explosion nerco, Furyzon with Infinity, High damage Bowa will all do a good enough job.

/p7 Ancient tunnels is also a fine choice, just switch some MF out for damage. The quantity of monsters is much lower than in the pits tho.

If you can pull of a decently fast CS runner, it's a very good choice as well. Completely ignore seals and Diablo and just kill the masses of normal monsters.

4. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

You can find normal berserker axes in cows. The unique zerker Axe is q85 so you wont find that. All bases can drop in cows. But not all uniques can.

5. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Well, apparently I forgot lots of stuff, heh. But the normal zerker is qlvl85 (or at least Arreat Summit claims it is) so how can it drop in the Moo Moo farm?

6. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

Yeah, it is. Looks like I'm relegated to alvl 85 areas. think I'll do some pit strafing.

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

You can also try your luck at weapon racks. Lower Kurast has tons of them.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The monster level equals the maximum item level, not the maximum base qlvl of base items (respectively their TC), although it's loosely related. Regular monsters can drop qlvl 85-87 items (i.e. those in TC 87) from level 80 or 81 on.

Cows can drop berserker axes, but they are rather bad at it. The best places are the mlvl 85 ones, like Pits, Tunnels, CS, WSK and the like. Pits at /p7 are probably the best way to get TC 87 whites.

It's not related to the original question, but for the sake of completeness: Act bosses and superuniques have their own rules about base qlvls/TCs. For example, Diablo cannot drop from TC 87, as well as the seal bosses, but everything else in the CS can.

9. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

Got already answered but going to post anyway. :p

Cows drop from their own TC called Cow. In Hell that includes Act 5 (H) Equip B, which has a chance to pick from armo87 and weap87. The lower mlvl of the cows doesn't affect drops other than the uniques.

The same happens with NM Griswold who you can drop up to TC66 because he uses the same treasure class for both NM and Hell.

I tried going through the files a bit and and I think that is only true for some of the Act 5 monsters. If a monster gets upgraded TC to that alvl, it can only drop up to TC84.

Otherwise it looks like regulars from places with alvl82+ start dropping TC87.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  10. krischan

A few years ago, I found a Death Cleaver in the Flayer Jungle, that's where my rough guess came from. That suits your explanation, hovever, as it's a L80 area and there are monsters whose mlvls don't have to get upgraded.

11. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

I did some more checking and actually the monsters should get their TCs upgraded in FJ because they all drop from A3 TCs that only have a level of 74/76. Because the alvl and thus mlvl is 80, the monsters get upgraded to drop from one of the two A4 TCs.

Maybe you got the drop from a Champion or Unique. The +2 and +3 levels are enough to bump them to the TC87 territory.

12. krischan

Yes, it must have been a champion or unique. I just checked it with ATMA and regular flayers cannot drop BAs indeed.