Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

couple of questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by slap, May 23, 2005.

1. slap

slap Diabloii.Net Member

couple of questions

hi...does anybody know the benifits of upgrading items..eg armour/bows to the next level in the cube. from what i have read and understood, is that the propeties of the item stay the same.

also

i am using tal rasha's mask which i have socketed with a jewel...but...i have found another better jewel. if i use my hel rune to unsocket the item..do i just loose the jewel or will the socket disappear too.

thx.

2. stkrause

stkrause Diabloii.Net Member

The mods stay the same, but you get a better base item. So basicly more damage for weapons and more defense on armor. You also have the higher requirements, though. And there is a bug with ethereal armor (this includes helemts, gloves, belts and shields), so never upgrade eth armor...

You'll loose only the jewel.

*stkrause

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 Diabloii.Net Member

If you clear sockets with a HEL rune, the stuff that was in the socket will be deleted. The item and the sockets remain.

Upgrading an item changes the base item.

Thus, if you take a Venom Ward (unique breastplate) and upgrade it, it will still be a Venom Ward, except that it's now a cuirass with higher defense and higher requirements. It will not turn into the unique cuirass "Duriel's Shell".

So, for weapons you get more damage, for armor you get more defense. You can use the upgrade recipie to upgrade belts such as Goldwrap, so you get more boxes.

Note that there are some traps concerning upgrades for more defense (probably applies to weapons as well) --- you might end up with lower defense (but higher requirements) than before, since the base item gets rerolled...

4. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member

The 'traps' mentioned are:

With armour, a unique armour with %ed will be set with the highest possible base defence + 1 for that armour type. Some armour types have a wide variation in possible base defences so it is good to be gaurenteed the highest possible. When upgrading the item the base defence of the upgraded item type is rerolled and you'll get a random new base defence for the upgraded armour. Problems arise when the minimum base defence for the elite item type is lower than the maximum base defence for the exceptional. Vampire Gazes are a good example of this. Herald of Zakurums also often only get a marginal defence improvement from an upgrade.

With weapons the base damages are not variable so you don't have this problem. You'll always get a better average damage from an upgraded weapon. However, some elite weapons do have a lower minimum damage than their exceptional counterparts (Ceremonial bow to Grand Matron bow springs to mind). So upgrading a Lycanders Aim will increase the bows average damage, but decrease it's minimum damage which may not be desirable.

Also upgrading etheral armours makes the armour lose its 50% etheral bonus and also rerolls the base defence. Upgrading an etheral armour is not a good idea. Etheral weapons are fine to upgrade however.

5. slap

slap Diabloii.Net Member

thx

thankyou for your replys.

6. Babubhai

Babubhai Diabloii.Net Member

how can you upgrade through cube what stuff u need?

and aslo how you clear sockets using Hel rune?

thanks

7. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member