Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Couple of bear questions

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Sammorai, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Sammorai

Sammorai IncGamers Member

Couple of bear questions

I was wondering if a shaelled and later on upped ribcracker would do as a werebear weapon until i reach lvl 76 for IK's maul. If not could you name some better options (excluding REALLY expensive runewords).
    Also what kind of dexterity should i shoot for, i realise this will be rather opinionated but some advice from a successful werebear would be appreciated.
    Also can you use berzerk or other non-werebear specific attacks while in wereform? and if not how would a mauler get past IM.
    Finally what weapon would people advise as a good end-game wep for a werebear, again this excludes BOTD cause im never gonna get one.

btw im non-ladder too.

2. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

hey we just had a little discussion about this (dex and weapons), see this thread:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=342290

for a very good comprehensive overview of weapons for a bear and why to use them i suggest TheDragoon's guide:
    http://students.washington.edu/akrinke/werebear/weapons.html

my bear is using a ribcracker and he rocks with it on nightmare. i am sure that you would not have any problem using it on that difficulty (and you can get past level 70 doing nm baal runs).
    my way of dealing with the IMs is shockwaviving everything and waiting till my archer finishes them off. but as you can see in the above thread the archer is probably not the perfect merc for this char, so if you are using a might merc (which you likely should) i can't give much good advice to you against IMs.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

A shael'ed Ribcracker is an excellent weapon for a bear...even better than IK Maul. The only exception is if you pair the maul with other parts of the IK set, then it will gain some very potent elemental damage which is nice against PIs otherwise go Ribcracker.

You unfortunately can't use Berzerk or other non-werebear skills when you are shifted. Against Iron Maiden you don't really have all that many choices, you could go back to town and get healed, that will also remove the curse.

Good endgame weapons are upgraded and shael'ed Ribcracker, 2xshaeled IK Maul, Tomb Reaver.

4. Sammorai

Damn my non-ladderness, from what you say Chimaira im left with one option for end game viability, since tomb reaver is ladder only and you cant upgrade exeptionals unless your on ladder as well. Do you think a regular shaelled ribcracker would do until IK?

5. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Dunno if it helps, but sometime ago, I had my all of my melee chars (wich i admit, aren't that great) literaly mauled by a bear druid using "high-but-not-very-impressive" gear... the strangest thing was his weapon... a 6 so phaseblade, with 6 shaels socketed... wich explains the brutal speed with wich he mauled me...

So, if you want FAST attacks with the bear, go for the 6 shaeled phaseblade.

6. Chimaira

Can't you trade for an upgraded Ribcracker...there must be some from last ladder season?? Otherwise IK maul is a pretty good weapon, especially combined with pieces of the IK set. A good enhanced damage Stormspire with a Shael is also a good weapon (too much dex though:(), Bonehew could also be used but IK maul is probably better. Windhammer is almost identical to IK maul so that's definitely an option if you don't want to use other pieces of IK set. Another option would be a good rare, but it pretty much needs 40% IAS to be competitive, so it can be hard to get.

I usually run Baal until I'm at least lvl 75 and it shouldn't take too long to get to lvl 76...I think Ribcracker will be sufficient in Nightmare although it will probably be a little slow on the highest player settings, but it does have huge crushing blow which is definitely a bonus.

7. Sammorai

Well ive got an IK maul, IK gloves and IK boots already, im debating whether its worth wearing the belt and/or armour as well to get more flavours of ouch on the maul. The regular ribcracker is a very fun weapon :) i can see why its advised, the speed is just crazy stupid. Il try to get an upped ribcracker in trade if i can, although i dont think it will be easy (i may be wrong) because im just loving the speed and defence boni.
    Also having read several topics titled "Help my hp is so terribly terribly low" im wondering if HP in the 600-700 region is acceptable for a level 33 werebear. I might have placed skill points in the wrong order for the best build but they are all in the right places. Finally, excluding enigma, what is a good armour to shoot for?, i have a duriels shell that a hope will get me through the mid-levels (and also take the pressure for a ravens off)

Thanks for feedback btw

8. riath

riath IncGamers Member

One way to get rid of IM without a trip to town is to run around a group of the cursers and they will override IM with something else.

9. Chimaira

As long as you have placed your skills in the correct places and haven't spent too many points in energy:) your life should be fine. Duriel's is an excellent choice, especially upgraded to take advantage of your bear's defensive bonus. Other choices are Lionheart (although the defence sucks:(), Smoke/Gloom (Gloom being pretty damn good), Stone for nice defence and some sweet FHR, Upgraded Shaftstop, any of the elite armors except for Templar's Might and Ormus' Robes. Even if you go with Duriel's Shell, Ravenfrost is still a pretty fine ring for boosting your attack rating.

10. eelnala

eelnala IncGamers Member

Wait, what's wrong with templar's might (aside from the strength requirement)?

Thanks

11. Chimaira

The strength requirement is really high...and it doesn't really offer anything special. It has huge defence, some FHR and +str/vit, but look at an upped Duriel's Shell which is also much easier to get and Templar's looks kind of bad. Steel Carapace is also pretty iffy unless you can get an ethereal one...

Templar's isn't a bad armor, it just doesn't offer anything that's good enough to justify the outrageous strength requirements.