Couple more Blizzballer Questions

scwormy

Diabloii.Net Member
Couple more Blizzballer Questions

Currently my blizzballer is at level 80 (Act 1 hell, running on P8).
RRM, RWM

My questions:
1. Is 105% FCR suggested, or is this overkill seeing as how only the Fireball, Glacial Spike and teleport are the fast cast spells?
2. I'm using a barb for a merc - (bad idea seeing as how almost all people are using an Act 2 merc for this build)? I usually stick to Act 2 mercs, but decided the aura's aren't really all that beneficial for this type of sorc.
3. For my merc I'm using a doombringer, is a BK sword better due to the CB? Currently, I figured doombringer for questing, BK for boss running.

Stats:
Strength - 166 (forgot about the 10 from Mara's)
Vit - all the rest.
Dex and Energy - base

Gear:
Shako (P Topaz)
Chance guards
Skin of the Vipermagi
Mara's
Deaths Fathom
Spirit (35 FCR)
War Trav's
BK ring
15% resist all ring
Arach Belt
CtA & Spirit on switch

2 cold skillers
rest resist, life and MF charms.

Life 1600ish
Resists (before Act 5 quest), Lightning 75, Fire 63, Cold / Poison 30ish.
105% FCR

Merc:
Doombringer (maybe BK Sword)
Shaft
Stealskull

Any other suggestions for improvement?
(don't say infinity, not even close to the runes for it...highest left is a gul after making CtA).

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Is 105% FCR suggested, or is this overkill seeing as how only the Fireball, Glacial Spike and teleport are the fast cast spells?
The 63% bp is plenty.

2. I'm using a barb for a merc - (bad idea seeing as how almost all people are using an Act 2 merc for this build)? I usually stick to Act 2 mercs, but decided the aura's aren't really all that beneficial for this type of sorc.
I'd go with an act two merc and give him some CB (jab + CB = death).

3. For my merc I'm using a doombringer, is a BK sword better due to the CB? Currently, I figured doombringer for questing, BK for boss running.
See above post.

Stats:
Strength - 166 (forgot about the 10 from Mara's)
Vit - all the rest.
Dex and Energy - base
Mara's adds 5.

Gear:
Shako (P Topaz)
Chance guards
Skin of the Vipermagi
Mara's
Deaths Fathom
Spirit (35 FCR)
War Trav's
BK ring
15% resist all ring
Arach Belt
CtA & Spirit on switch
I'd lose the rings and throw on SoJ's (I really dislike BKWB's). I'd also lose the Vipermagi for a Skulder's or Tal's (prolly tals for more res). You've got 75% FCR, and that's plenty.

crg

scwormy

Diabloii.Net Member
The 63% bp is plenty.

I'd go with an act two merc and give him some CB (jab + CB = death).

Mara's adds 5.

Gear:

I'd lose the rings and throw on SoJ's (I really dislike BKWB's). I'd also lose the Vipermagi for a Skulder's or Tal's (prolly tals for more res). You've got 75% FCR, and that's plenty.

crg
Thanks crg - nothing like getting advice from the expert.

If Mara's is only 5, it must have been the war trav's. Anyway, doesn't matter. I think I'd originally planned on Alder's boots for the FR, but made it up in small charms instead for the additional MF.

No Skulders or SOJ's. I do have a couple tals though.

Guess I could break out the Obedience and go with an Act 2 Merc.

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd go with a Nagelring then. More MF can't hurt (can you tell I dislike BKWBs?).

crg
crg - why do you dislike BKWB's? I'm curious ...

Myself, personally, i'll use both an SoJ and a BKWB for many characters as I don't have a CtA so every bit of life counts. (I really should get around to making one). My clvl 93 Tal's Sorc gets another 46 to life per char level and that's 2 spaces and then some that I can use for more life or resists etc.

I find that having 2 SoJ's is a bit of overkill for casters unless you really spam 'em out. 1 is usually enough I find for my mana needs.

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Guess I could break out the Obedience and go with an Act 2 Merc.
If you are lucky to have a Fortitude armor for your merc it increases his damage by a huge margin.

A nice ethereal Obedience weapon with a might merc and a Forti armor - you're looking at 2.5k to probably over 8k damage with aura on ... and that does not include the crushing blow from the Obedience and any other sources like helm. If you wear a Guillame's face then you also have 35% more crushing blow plus 15% critical strike.

Get some leech happening and your merc should be able to tank almost anything excepting being cursed with iron maiden.

I'm currently using a might merc with an upgraded Ethereal Hone Sundan Ghost Spear, Guillame's and Fortitude and he does 2.5k to 7k with aura for my Tal's Sorc. The HS Ghost Spear tops out at ~ 680 damage. If you have a nice ethereal Obedience it should top out at ~ 1k or so ...

scwormy

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are lucky to have a Fortitude armor for your merc it increases his damage by a huge margin.

A nice ethereal Obedience weapon with a might merc and a Forti armor - you're looking at 2.5k to probably over 8k damage with aura on ... and that does not include the crushing blow from the Obedience and any other sources like helm. If you wear a Guillame's face then you also have 35% more crushing blow plus 15% critical strike.

Get some leech happening and your merc should be able to tank almost anything excepting being cursed with iron maiden.

I'm currently using a might merc with an upgraded Ethereal Hone Sundan Ghost Spear, Guillame's and Fortitude and he does 2.5k to 7k with aura for my Tal's Sorc. The HS Ghost Spear tops out at ~ 680 damage. If you have a nice ethereal Obedience it should top out at ~ 1k or so ...
No fort, and if I do find a Lo, I'd most likely make Grief first..have to wait to see if I actually find one though.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
crg - why do you dislike BKWB's? I'm curious ...
Because the +life does not scale with BO, whereas the life granted by a ravenfrost does (60 life on the characters that would use it i.e. pally/zon/druid/assy). You'd never use on a barb (see previous point), and also of the characters not listed, SoJ is more useful because it grants mana (necro/sorc). End result? BKWB sucks. Raven or SoJ is always better.

crg