Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Couple fire druid questions

Discussion in 'Druid' started by ahcw, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Couple fire druid questions

Alright guys well I started my wind druid a couple weeks ago and even though he was fun I just couldn't wait to get my fire guy goin :) so I stopped my windy for this guy. Anyways I have a couple of questions for anyone who has the time to answer.

First I'll list my equip to see if u guys notice anything that would aid me :).
    um shako (I am considering the new elemental druid helm, anyone know how expensive it is to get one on uswest non lad?)
    28 maras
    que hegans with 15 resist jewel (i would absolutely love COH, but I can't afford one)
    earthshaker with 10 resist jewel (sorry can't afford hoto, well maybe a bad resist one, who knows i dunno prices so good anymore)
    lidless with pdiamond
    2 sojs
    trang belt (which is a nicer belt than some people think, only thing that i can think of which would be better is a verdungo's or arachnid for the skill)

1. I'm going to be using lidless with pdiamond as u can see. As of now I've opted to not go for dex and go almost pure vita (aside from the str i need for equip, close to 100). I realize I'll have almost no block, however I can dodge most archers while my fissure is on them and I can also get some ravens/bear/merc to help keep them off. I thought maybe (and this is a big maybe) I could also an eld whistans on switch with a 6 socket ko crystal sword or something for when I'm in high traffic areas with archers. Anyways if u guys have any better ideas I'd love to hear them and also are there any other shields that u guys would suggest for pure PVM that is better than lidless?

2. My skill choice is 20 to the first 4 fire skills (using primarily mb and fissure) and 20 to oak. I want to get a point in grizzly because with plus skills he'll be an alright tank alongside my hf merc. My question is should i take the 4 points to get grizzly and hold off on oak sage for awhile (it'll take like lvl 94 to have maxed oak sage + bear and that's no simple task :( ). I would love to get to lvl 94, however **-90 is more realistic to me so basically my question is would that 5 or so points that i'm putting in oak be better spent to get my bear?

3. I have maxed mb and fissure right now and I was planning on putting 10 in oak sage, then focusing on the synergies. Is this a smart plan or no?

4. Once I get to hell I have to deal with all those fire immunes. Will mb's physical damage + my merc + my bear (if i get one) be enough to kill them somewhat effectively?

As a final note, I don't care if I go running through like a hammerdin 1 hit KOing everything. I made this guy for fun purposes and I am getting my share of that :).

2. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

You'll be fine :thumbsup:

I think that Ravenlore pelt would be a good choice as it does seem to be geared towards fire druids and the +7 to ravens would basically bring them up to a useful level once ther rest of the +skills is factored in.

1) I went max block and havn't regreted it once. I think you should be ok with a vita build though. The arguements go in circles over the max block/max vit debate :rolleyes: (PS: I took a Rhyme Tower Shield, though there are other shields that offer the same %age block)

2) I'd sugest you get one point in the bear, then go back to pumping other skills. Pump the bear up last.

3) Its a good idea to have OS to about 10 or so before entering hell. OS survives ok in NM due to being PI, but he needs a few levels under his belt to get by in hell.

4) Between MB and Volcano you should be able to put down most FIs in hell. Large class monsters will be tougher, as you will have to use volcano and try to keep them still through the use of your merc/bear.

Have fun :buddies:

3. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Thanks bob. I've thought about using my switch for the eld whistans/6 ko wpn for high archer areas and I've decided to give it a go, but other than that I'm gonna stick with my lidless and massive life :). I thought about using ss, but I don't think it'll help me that much since i'm not exactly charging into the packs like if I was using armageddon for example. Besides I love this guy so much I can always make him differently over the summer or something. Oh hey did I mention only a month of college till Summer Break!!!! :jig: :clap:

Edit: I forgot to ask one little thing. I've found that molten boulder isn't near as effective on "large" monsters because it just blows up instead of being knocked back. Is it better to just use firestorm on these monsters with fissure? Alright thx again.

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Fire druids, a topic that warms my heart ( :lol: )

MB knock back is the same as KnB with weapons for the monster it affects

If you can spare it, I'd suggest 1 point in Geddon. Since you already most likely have Cyclone Armor, it's only three more points, and Twister can be useful

Get a point in bear and Ravenlore would be super nice

Suicide Branch or Islestrike would be better then Earth Shaker IMO

5. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Hmm, well i don't have a point in cyclone armor and i'm already scrounging for points as it is so I don't think I can get armageddon (maybe i'll test it on single player). As for islestrike I thought about it in great detail, but since the only things that the 2 druid skills (opposed to 3 elemental skills) would help is my sage and my bear so I think i'm gonna keep my earth shaker for now, until i get a vex rune that is.....right......sigh.

6. memememe173

Don't forget it has +10 all stats...OS can be prebuffed IIRC, so if you can, get a lidless and a +2 druid unique or +3 summon rare for switch

7. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Hmm...ponders what mememe just said. What about my 6 ko wpn/whistan idea. It would give me a pretty decent block for those situations when i'd need it. I have an islestrike, but the only resist jewel i have left is a 7 i think :( so i'm gonna have to think for a little bit about which one i'll use lol.

8. memememe173

IMO, 6 Kos is a lot to use...check out just how much it would help with an SP editor. If the block dosn't hit 35-40%+, then I don't think it would be a good idea, plus, as you level it would decrease

9. Bob_TheMadCow

I think he has his bases covered for resistances, but the FCR maybe useful...

I'll check in a wee while what CFR you should really aim for, and how much you have.

Geddon isn't worth the 6 skill points IMHO. It does too little damage too randomly to be of any real help. Use Fisrestorm against large classs monsters, with MB and Fissure already maxed its damage will rocket up quite nicely. I've taken down Hell Diablo using that spell, so I can garentee its worth using it. You really don'#t have th epoints to spare to go dabbling in the wind spells.

10. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

A big thanks goes out to the 2 of u guys for being such a great help :). I'm totally set on my idea so i'm going to go with my 6 ko wpn/whistan switch for when i run into huge masses of ranged attackers. I've really gotten used to all of my skills now so i'm not as worried about fire immunes now plus my merc will be quite good. I do have one last question though lol, i finally got a 32/13 verdungos and now I don't know which belt i like better :(. They offer the same amount of life, but I think oak sage/bo work better on life items than they do for vit items. Verdungos has the dr and fhr while trangs has the mana/cannot be frozen and I just can't decide :scratch: . Anyways thx again for all your help guys and for everyone else PLAY FIRE DRUIDS!!!

11. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Alright well somehow I managed to get both a coh archon (851 def, not to shabby) and a 36 resist hoto yesterday, so that ends most of my debate about the wpn lol. Since coh has the 8% dr i think i'm gonna use trang belt and give verdungos to a more melee char since I won't be charging in like a melee asking to get my *** handed to me. Anyways I think that's about it so thx once again bob and meme for all your awesome help and I hope everyone who reads this has a great day :).

P.S. Oh crap I forgot about fhr, how important do u guys think this is for pvm? I lost 20 from que-hegans and 10 from verdungos. I have 10 right now in sc's and I'm just wondering if I should get 4 more to reach the 29 bp. Ok now I'm done, I promise :p.

12. Bob_TheMadCow

Your welcome, good to hear of your good luck with teh itamz :thumbsup:

I don't think the FHR is too big a concern. It's nice to have and all, but I'd not go crazy over it. if you can get it from charms then its all good :)

13. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

If your going for no block and insane life, then ditch the earthshaker and lidless and get yourself an earthSHIFTER, +7 elemental skills...'nuff said

Arb

14. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Yeah so you can pump str. to high heaven and not put as much into vita.

-_-

15. Bob_TheMadCow

and waste an extra 200pts in STR that would be better spent in vit or dex...?

which reminds me yor not blocking, so maybe FHR wouldn't be such a bad idea :scratch: Although if you have enough hp to avoid hit recovery in the first place... :lol:

I remember in 1.09 FHR+vit > max Block for a windy, but its not like anyone cared back then and its all changed now anyway :lol:

16. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Hmmm, i've really got to stop posting when am drunk, need to think things through better...
    I bow to your superior wisdom Mep, that thought didnt even occur to me...

Arb

17. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

I <3 you I'm sorry if sounded mean.

18. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Hmm, what do u think is a good frame to hit for fhr. Right now I'm at 10 frames, but with 9 more fhr I can hit 9 frames. Should I be happy with 10 or try for the 9 frame? Also the 6 ko crystal sword + eld'd whistans guard on switch is working out great. I have a 65% chance to block at lvl 75 right now and it is a really nice alternative to vit builds (in my case having to use lidless), so if any of u have no dex chars I'd definetly suggest giving this a try :).

Edit: 300 posts baby :jig: :clap:

Edit2: notices mepersoner's post count.....:(

Edit3: I just realized that I once again changed my mind and I'm using verdungo's over trangs, except for certain situations with extreme cold attacks (baal, etc...), so I am at the 9 frame fhr so I don't even have to switch out my charms.

19. memememe173

I'm glad your idea worked :thumbsup: it shouldn't be hard to get 9fhr, and since it's so close, you might as well