Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Countdown to hell..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blu3l1ghtn1ng, Aug 27, 2006.

1. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Countdown to hell..

Yeah..there's only a little over a week of summer left before I head back to my final year of high school, and man is it depressing. The people I hang around with at work are all going to university, which means that those sexy lady friends of mine are going away.

Also, I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I thought that I would probably go into science, but after experiencing the boredom and confusion associated with physics I might just scrap that idea. I did decent though in my science courses (80s in chem and phy without really trying) but I didn't enjoy it, hence the not trying. I think I might go into something english related, or math related since I enjoy/do well in both courses. I have a business mindset, and many people say its a crime if I don't go into business. My grandfather was a lawyer and I seem to have inherited his ability to talk to crowds, and to win debates.

I currently have all science courses that I need to switch around to incorporate either business/law/or english. Any career advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. what you do for a living/someone you know/career oppurtunities.

Ohh yeah..and to make going back to school worse..the girl I "like" is going out with someone....ahh cursed high school...I can't wait to be done.

And I just thought of prom..and a date....ahh geez

2. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

cherish it while you can.

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Senior year was heavenly. I slacked off more than I ever had before and actually moved INTO the top 10%. Plus the seniors got to cut to the front of the cafeteria line. Actually now that I think back, that is probably the BEST part of the entire year: never having to wait for food.

4. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Yeah man you should totally milk your senior year for all it's worth. That's not to say you should take classes like bowling and weight training all day, but you should definitely enjoy it. Take a couple AP classes and a couple fun classes.

And don't worry about not knowing what career you wanna pursue. I'd say the vast majority of people who enter college don't know what they wanna do. If you truly enjoy doing math I would suggest looking into mechanical engineering as a major. There's a lot of math involved (mainly diff. eqs.), but it also involves a lot of actual thinking, planning, and desiging. Plus if you got an ME degree from a good respectable college, you can pretty much go into any field you want since the ME job market is VERY diverse; it's a very versatile and flexible major.

Sure you could get a math degree or an english degree or both. But I don't think either of those degrees offers as much opportunity as ME. Talk to your counselor some and ask your friends what they're doing. Lemme know if you have any more questions.

5. blu3l1ghtn1ng

The funny thing is that my guidance cons. suggested engineering, but I dunno if I would really enjoy it, as much as something that is more creative, and has more control. For example, I like to be a leader..in everything I do I tend to be the guy who organizes it..and 99% of my groups/projects are successes. I kinda want to incorporate that leadership/freedom of individuality into what I do.

What exactly do mechanical engineers do? I mean I'm searching the net/university programs but they offer more of the pre-reqs that the actual career path/salary/skills req.

6. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Ah, the good old days. I would kill to go back to my senior year. My high school had some of the best looking girls you could find, including the current Miss Texas USA (who was also a former Miss Texas Teen USA) at only 19 years old.

Don't worry about your future career for now. Once you get to to college, you'll choose a major. You'll spend a year taking your freshman/core classes, then you'll decide you want to do something else, and change your major, maybe more than once. It'll fall together down the road.

Rule #1 for high school dating: Go out with the most attractive girl you can a few times, even if there's no real love interest. Other girls see you with her, and you move up a few notches in their book. Yeah it's shallow, but it works more often than not, as long as you're not a big douchebag.

Oh God, that's not until spring, chill.

7. blu3l1ghtn1ng

Its funny cuz a year ago I was so excited into going to grade 12..but like I have so much more responsibilities...ahh well..growing up I guess..

And the most attractive girl idea is good..maybe I'll give it and her a try :rolleyes: :wink3:

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What I don't understand about this is why you wouldn't do that if you had the chance anyway...

9. PatMaGroin

Well I know some extremely attractive women who I can't stand to be around for more than a few minutes at a time.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

A few minutes is all it takes.

*Boom-tish*

11. PatMaGroin

That's nothing to brag about.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Just means you can fit more into the same amount of time... bad fuel efficiency though.

13. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

If you are leader or possess a lot of leadership qualities then engineering should be right up your alley. Some of the classes you'll take will be group project based (the prof/facilitator gives you a problem, you form a group, you design an approach, you follow your approach, you solve the problem). The engineering world is all about working together as a team and getting the job done.

Mechanical engineering according to Wikipedia:

Again if you get a degree in ME you will be lots of math, lots of thinking/designing, and lots of building. It might seem like hard work at the time, but when you actually graduate you will have a myriad of career opportunities to choose from.

14. blu3l1ghtn1ng

Alas..physics is my enemy

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Mine too.