Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Could this work?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by spiral55, Mar 26, 2004.

1. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Could this work?

This is kind of a variation on the frost zealot and fanatic zealot ideas. I came up with it after twinking Sureshrill Frost to my current fanatic zealot (just hit clvl 50 with him) and seeing that frozen monsters make me pretty much invincible in early Nightmare. If they can't move, they can't hit me, so I'm free to wail on them with zeal and make a bunch of ice cubes.

So, the plan is this:

20 Sacrifice
    20 Zeal
    20 Fanaticism
    20 Holy Shield (I know that normally I won't need this much defense and blocking, but since Hit Freezes Target won't work on bosses, I'll need the help, and I'd like the added protection if ranged attackers are in the area.)
    1 each in all pre-reqs and utility auras like Sanctuary, Vigor, Meditation, and maybe Conviction
    Any remaining points would go into Blessed Aim for the passive AR boost

Gear:
    Weapon Switch 1: Sureshrill Frost (possibly upgraded) and Herald of Zakarum
    Weapon Switch 2: Will vary depending on area, either Witchwild String (when IM would be an issue) or Lightsaber and Moser's with two PDiamonds (for CI PI bosses)
    Armor: Iceblink (possibly upgraded) for increased chance to freeze targets
    Helm: Guillaume's Face (for crushing blow)
    Boots: Goblin Toe (more crushing blow)
    Belt: Sigon's
    Gloves: Sigon's (for the IAS and LL)
    Jewelry: Raven Frost (Me freezing them is good. Them freezing me is bad. Not an issue when using the mace, but a big problem when I weapon-switch. The AR and DEX will also help.), whatever else will fill in my resistance and leeching holes.
    Charms: Resistances, poison damage (since I'm not sure if frozen monsters regenerate health), +damage, R/W speed if I can fit them in (Goblin Toe + Iceblink = very slow footspeed)

Merc: Act 2 Might, to make up some of the damage I'll be missing due to my low-damage primary weapon.

I see this as a compromise of the fanatic and frost zealot strategies. I won't do the staggering cold damage a true frost zealot does, nor the mind-boggling physical damage a typical fanatic zealot does. My damage shouldn't be too shabby, though, with the crushing blow and fanaticism and might combined with a decent weapon. I think this build may be defensively superior to the typical fanatic zealot, but also won't suffer the AR problems a frost zealot does.

So, my big questions are, will this build do enough damage? Do Hit Freezes Target adders stack (if not, I'll have to scrap this build altogether, since In Hell I'd have to remain well above monster levels to have reliable freezing)? And can I get away with what I figure should be just a 6 fpa attack?

Fortunately, I've built the current fanatic with the above skill point allocation in mind, so if you folks feel this idea won't work, I can still continue to make him a more traditional fanatic.

Thanks in advance for any answers, questions, or comments you might have! :)

2. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

looks good, i have 2 pat zealots and 1 guardian zealot with that skill allocation :teeth:

so i think it will work :thumbsup:

3. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

Looks good, I have several that are similiar, however you may also want to put 1 point into vengeance as well.

4. spiral55

@ Robin: Thanks for the encouragement. :D

@ MeBrutox: I found with my last, more typical fanatic, that zeal with a Lightsaber is usually sufficient against PI monsters, although it sometimes takes a while if they spawn with Teleportation and/or Stone Skin as well. Still, I might go with a point or two into vengeance just to be on the safe side. Thanks!

5. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Fun thing here would be (if you're rich) to use a Doom weapon, which would give you a second aura, Holy Freeze o' course, and -% to enemy cold resistance. When my Act2 merc uses my Doom cryptic axe, he freezes for quite a long time, and almost every enemy shatters.

Which I guess could be bad if you want to use Redemption.

6. spiral55

Unfortunately, I'm not rich. That's why I'm using Goblin Toe instead of the much superior Gore Riders. So, Doom is also out of the question. Oh well. :)

I plan on freezing and shattering every monster anyway, so Redemption would be of zero use to me whether I had the runes for Doom or not.

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

As for end-game weapon I would recommend Nord's Tenderizer. It is not rare, has huge cold damage and freeze target. My zealot is using it and he shatters almost everything which is not CI :)

8. spiral55

Ooooh. I just looked at the stats for Nord's, and it looks perfect for my plans. Now the trouble lies in finding it. "Not rare" usually means something that will take me forever to find, since I don't MF all that much, my only MFer (S/S WW barb) takes a very long time to do Pit runs, and can no longer run Mephy safely or quickly due to the inability to leech. I'm sure I'll find it after I've already Patted and retired Father_Karras.

9. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Heh, I have few spare Nord's, I can send you one if you want :)

10. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

Blessed Aim has a passive AR boost? Is this for real?

11. spiral55

Yep. Taken from the D2.net Strategy Compendium:

"Blessed Aim: Blessed Aim has been granted a hidden passive bonus in 1.10, giving 5% extra AR per point invested in it, even when it’s not active. Note that +skills don’t increase this passive bonification, only skill points invested directly will increase it"