Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

could some one please explain attack speed frame rates to me as if I were an idiot?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Mar 23, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

could some one please explain attack speed frame rates to me as if I were an idiot?

as I have mentioned before, I have never been one much for the mah of Diablo. Not that I'm not a math whiz, but more because it seemed to dilute the fun to figure out the best mathematical approach to a character rather than just going by 'feel' and trial & error. But now, my partner wants to know how fast she can get her amazon and at what point does increased attack speed cease to matter. how does 'fastest attack rate' as shown in ATMA translate to the actual game?

for specific reference, she has an amazon using a Buri with no other IAS items and lvl 13 strafe as her main attack. how much more IAS can she add to make a noticable difference?

thanks in advance

2. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Diablo II internally runs at 25 fps. (if your computer can display more fps per second, it will display a image twice or more times)

There are 25 times a second the computer diablo reacts on anything, monster movement, poison damage, character movements, ....

Then the combination of "attack form" and "attack weapon" determine the table which the IAS works on. Strafe is a fast attack form and for weapons look at battle net items section. (it is the number at the column "Speed by Class" which is interesting, the lower the number, the faster the weapon).

This speed is noted again in fps. Meaning a attack which takes 5fps can be done 5 times each second max.

If the german inline calculater is correct about strafe these are the strafe tables:

Weapon speed: -10 (Great Bow)
    0% IAS - 3 fps
    60% IAS - 2fps

Weapon speed: 0 (Crusader Bow)
    0% IAS - 4 fps
    11% IAS - 3 fps
    120% IAS - 2 fps

Weapon speed: 10 (Hydra Bow)
    0% IAS - 4 fps
    11% IAS - 3 fps
    120% IAS - 2 fps

Randall

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t know how much what skill you use matters, but I read somewhere that it´s hard to make a Buriza much faster than it already is. 20% IAS should get it to the next breakpoint. The next after that is a long way away and probably not worth the effort.

4. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

jiansonz,

your are actually correct. (and probably more easy to read answer) I forgot that he allready had a specific weapon in the first post.

For the Buriza-Do Kyanon the tables are: (again, if the inline calculator is correct):

0% - 6fps
    2% - 5.5fps
    11% - 5fps
    27% - 4.5fps
    50% - 4fps
    95% - 3.5fps
    215% - 3fps

with 80% your are allready at 4 fps.
    With 15% you get to 3.5 fps and with 135% you hit 3 fps.

Randall

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Ah, so a Jewel of Fervor in Armor/Helm/Weapon or a Shael in the weapon would do the trick, as well as gloves with at least 20% IAS. The latter is probably the best solution.

6. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

In this case it'd be: "I forgot that she allready had a specific weapon in the first post." :lol:

Anyway I'm really glad that you explained it so aptly, as I always wondered how this works, too. And thanks to HBeachBabe for asking the question!

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

8. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Hi HBeachBabe, sorry for not knowing. I blame durf for this.

LprMan,
    this is the weapon speed calculater I used.

9. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

All of the previously mentioned info is great, especially the link to the calculator. Let me try to "idiotize" it though, per request.

The next step up would be adding 15% IAS, which would increase attack speed by 14%. The step after that would require adding 135% IAS which would increase attack speed by 34%.

My experience has been that anything under 1fps is not noticable enough, but it will impact the long term play.

10. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Good point Artemis..

I've always asked myself why is it worth it for many chars to sacrifice so much in other gear just to improve that 1 fps.

Thing is, as the fps goes lower, every subsequent 1 fps decrease means an increasingly better returns in attack speed.

9 fps to 8 fps gives you a 1/9 increase.
    8 fps to 7 fps gives you 1/8
    7 fps to 6 fps another 1/7 .......

at 5 fps an increase to 4 fps will mean a whopping 20% increase in total dmg output over time, and it'll be hard to match that even with the more flexible gear choice of a 5 fps set up. Especially potent in the fast hitters who can actually hit 4 fps, like zealots. Strafers, too.

IAS roxxors. :D

11. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

You're forgetting the fastest on the block: Try dropping your follow-up Talon kicks from 3 frames to 2 frames while you have 5-6 followup kicks: 7/3/3/3/3/3 to 7/2/2/2/2/2, or 22 frames compared to 17 frames, or 3.67 frames per kick to 2.83 frames per kick...23% increase in damage. Note that the first attack of multi-attack skills (Zeal, Strafe, Talon, etc) are at base attack speed, which should be taken into account when calculating overal damage increases.

12. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

Minor nit: The attack speeds listed are for the subsequent shots by strafe. At 80 IAS with a buriza, the intial shot will take 14 frames, the follow-up arrows will each take 4 frames.

jrichard

13. chaos

True, true. The first attack is always slow. That's why 6 fps smiters and 5 fps bears rock so hard. ;)

14. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

IIRC: bears can reach 4fps and have the fastest non-Zeal attack form.

Randall

15. chaos

Just peeked at the Dragoon's site, seems its 5 fps with a decent 2 hander, -15 feral axe or the -10s (giant threshers etc).

I believe 4 fps is possible with the -20s and ridiculously easy to achieve with a phase blade, but the dmg is too pathetic. ;) Dammit i'd be more than satisfied with an elite 2 hander going at the 2nd fastest possible zeal speed infinitely without the slow first attack. :D

16. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Dragoons weapon speed calculater says 4fps with a giant thresher and 120 WIAS (6 sheals) or 15 OIAS and 105 WIAS (if you have a few 15 IAS jewels with enh. damage.)

Randall

17. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Chaos: If the Dragoon's site is to be believed, a 5 frame bear in 1.10 should be possible with a 3 Shael Tomb Reaver and an additional 50% IAS. One day I'm determined to test it out on my ladder werebear. I just have to find a Tomb Reaver first...

In 1.09, I have a 4 frame zealot. To tell your the truth I really don't notice the slow first attack much. Fury on the other hand seems much more erratic - granted I'm testing it at a slightly slower speed, but sometimes I seem to get 5 attacks per cycle, and sometimes less. :scratch:

Chris

18. chaos

Ok ok, no one's gonna use a 6 shael GT yea? Let's talk realistic, with a cruel of quickness or one of those spiffy .10 rares with 40IAS, for a max of 80% on the big 2 handers mmmkay? :p

Yo Chris. :D

I don't notice the slow first attack too. How could we, when we're catching up to mow down all those cows? ;) You should try fury with a burrito. Becos its effectively a range 1 weapon (i think) when used for fury, it yet somehow behaves as though it has a larger reach, so fury will trigger at enemies outside the effective hitting range, yet it does no dmg. Cute skill. :D

19. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

ok, y'all had me until here. what do the numbers and slashes mean? in strafe, don't all the arrows fire simultaneously? remember, I'm an idiot

20. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

You should try fury with a burrito.

What on earth is a burrito?(well i know what a burrito is just not in d2 terms)