Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Could it be worth it to put points into mages over CE? ifr

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by DarkSatyr, Apr 16, 2008.

1. DarkSatyr

DarkSatyr IncGamers Member

Could it be worth it to put points into mages over CE?

Im thinking about a slight variation of the skelliemancer build, I'd trade 10 points in CE and some points in revive and the AI curses to also near max or max mages. I'd still have CE, just lvl 10.
    The idea is that the mages would pick up the damage the CE doesn't do (because of its smaller AOE) not only in room fights but also on other smaller packs of guys and the bosses.
    I was thinking of putting some points maybe in SR or LR to make the mages more survivable or do more dmg. And it'd be SP so while i would try to get a merc/IG that would increase their dmg with a weapon it wouldn't be infinity or anything else godlike.
    Would with those things added the build be viable?

2. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Re: Could it be worth it to put points into mages over CE?

There aren't many ways to increase the damage mages do. Infinity, lower resist, and beast/faith through more attack speed. That's about it. LR alone won't change much. Mages don't do so well without infinity, to be honest - from my observations, they don't add any noticable damage in Hell A4/5 versus most creatures.

A 10 point CE will probably be decent, depending on gear, but I think if you're going to play your Necro a lot then you will wish for a maxed CE at some point. I've been there... Used to have a level 34 CE and still wished for more =)

IMO, hearing your situation, you'll be best off maxing CE. I think you'll agree, but only after you've tried building your nec a few times (which you should) ;)

Btw, you should definitely put some points in SR.

3. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I have RSM maxed on one of my builds....meh. Nightfish swears against them - saying you're better served putting them anywhere but RSM, and I tend to agree. I have a poison/summon hybrid that I was going to max it with lower resist, but that hasn't gotten me too far. CE is still the way to go at this point, IMHO.

4. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

I use mages, and like them alot, but I do use infinity, which almost doubles thier damage. Also my SM/RSM are iirc 52/50, which probably makes a diference too. But I have all the curses and 1 pt wonder summon skills, and still have max mages and max CE, you should have enough points for both.

5. qtpielv

qtpielv Banned

definately now worth Mages even with infinity , just go CE, which will make clearing ur path soo easy, just let merc and skellies get like 1 corpse and of u go

6. Barbarrister Voldamus

Barbarrister Voldamus IncGamers Member

I like a couple mages in order to get the poison for preventing boss healing and an occasional cold mage to slow things down. I do not plan on them for damage. However, there are plenty of points left at the end of the typical fishy build to build the mages up if you really want to. I know some people swear by them for the pandemonium quest. The problem with trying to combine mele skellies and mages is that no single curse helps both classes if you amp the enemy then the mage damage is pitiful and if you SR then the mele skellies are doing 1/2 the physical damage (or even much less depending on traget physical resistance.)

7. Barbarrister Voldamus

Barbarrister Voldamus IncGamers Member

Man Numpty you must be rockin a ton of + skills items I think I am looking at a long road ahead with my play what I find necro. I think Voldamius only has + 5 on pre buff and + 4 on the main gear right now:cry:

8. Michael Nuggets

Michael Nuggets IncGamers Member

the good thing about CE is it always does 60-100 percent the creatures life as damage
    adding points just increases range so what do you want to be able to do have the mages attacking or have one corpse attack everything onscreen?

9. NumtyDoo

I am not saying max mages instead of CE, because CE will definately be more useful. CE is the first thing I max after RS/SM. What I was saying is why not max both? Unless you are going mana golem, you should have enough points to max both CE and mages.

My mages (total, not each, and with 85% bonus from infinity) are doing like 15k damage a second damage.

But if you don't want the extra damage/antiboss-effects from mages, after you max CE, you could do golem mastery to make insight golems, dim vision is really useful, and some use bone armor and synergies.

10. shijo

shijo IncGamers Member

It's really not that hard if you know what gear to go after. It requires the best stuff though. (not including gloves or beast)

Base skills
    20RS
    20SM
    20RSM

Enigma +2 all
    Summon Ammy +3 summon
    2x Soj +2 all
    Homunculus + 2 all
    Marrowalk +2 SM
    Arach Mesh +1 all
    Shako +2 all
    Hoto +3 all (AoKL +3 RS +2 RSM +3 SM +2 summon)
    Anni +1 all
    Torch +3 all
    9x summon gc +9 summon

That equals:

w/ hoto
    50 RS
    52 SM
    50 RSM

w/ AoKL
    52 RS
    54 SM
    51 RSM

11. NumtyDoo

I prebuff with aokl/boneflame. Run with HoTo/Homo. Used to use beast, but I am so overkill already beast doesn't help me except for ubers and full 8player games.

12. JubalBane

JubalBane IncGamers Member

Darksatyr: Go for both. I max out CE first for the range then work on RSM. If you are going self found in game stuff only then you are going to want that large CE range first. I found that the RSM actually help me with PI immunes as well but my characters are very underpowered as I usally go self found in game stuff only. I also will target revive for about 10 revives. +Skill gear normally will get you there but if you don't have it you might add a few points into revive as well.

13. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

Skeleton Mages are good at being stupid and taking attention off of your Skellie Warriors, but are pretty much useless.

I've almost maxed them, they're missing about 1 point, simply because I had so many left over skill points. I'd hate to be without them, though. They help by distracting enemies that run up behind you.

14. NumtyDoo

15k damage a second doesn't sound useless to me.

15. JubalBane

JubalBane IncGamers Member

I just finished a lich lord necromancer and it kicked some *** in Hell. Admittedly He had some gear he didn't really earn. Enigma + Infinity + Lower Resist was a very powerful combo. It was the fasted time I ever took down Hell Baal in 8p. He died almost right after I teleported on top of him.

16. Michael Nuggets

Michael Nuggets IncGamers Member

lolz well speculation doesnt beat experience so that settles it then well for you at least skellie mages are good