Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cost of a Smiter?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Mason, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Mason

Mason Diabloii.Net Member

Cost of a Smiter?

So Ive been contemplating Building a smiter for Ubers, and I was just wondering what the general price to gear one up at the different equipment levels would be, and how good they would be for ubers at the different levels.

I wana know if it would be lucrative with what I can afford, or If I should run Hell Baal a it more to gather some better wealth.

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Cost of a Smiter?

You can do it pretty cheap. Dracul's Grasp, Guillaume's Face, Gore Rider/Goblin Toe. Wizard Spike + Smoke armor = super resistances. All you need is Life Tap, CB, OW, and lots of resistances.

Do a google search for poorman takes on uber tristram. Its a write up of a HC Smiter who beat the ubers with no Elite items and a wand with Life Tap charges. Also, look for kingdryland's 1pt smiter build on these forums.

3. Mason

Yeah, Ive checked out the gear lists, but I was wondering the relative price for everything.

Im thinking I can manage a fairly decent build. of it, at least enough to hold me over till I can afford some truly great gear.

4. JsTc

JsTc Diabloii.Net Member

My smiter uses mostly self found uniques and runewords that cost no more than Mal (exception is Grief, which is nice but not a must), he doesn't need salvation nor fade to stay max resist under meph's conviction and has not died in the 20~25 visits to trist since equipping the following gears:

• Grief, before that the Redeemer
    • Duress (Shael Um Thul) dusk shroud (15 resist all), self found runes/base item
    • Sanctuary (Ko Ko Mal) in a Heraldic shield! (113 resist all), self found runes/base item. 3os normal pally shields are cheap as most people don't even consider using a normal shield for smite. grief + normal shield can still get you a good enough smite to kill all the three ubers though
    • Kira's Guardian socketed with Um (85 resist all), self found, usually cost around Um?
    • Gore Rider (self found, normally cost pgems/free)
    • Thundergods (self found, normally cost pgems/free)
    • Drac (mine cost pul)
    • 2*random raven frost (self found, cost pgems to buy)
    • 15str/11all magic ammy (self found)
    • 5*15all GC (2 self found, rest cost Mal-Ist each)
    • a few 13~19 life SCs (self found)
    • BO/Shout barb (cheap and very effective, need 2 cd-keys though)

Meph and Diablo are easy to kill, I find Baal harder due to mana burn. The other challenge is getting around Matron's Den, those Hell Temptress/Vile Witch can be very deadly, Lilith herself is easy.

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 Diabloii.Net Member

Depending on the prices on your realm, you can easily make a Ubers capable smiter for a fraction of the ^ cost.

Not sure why you want a huge list of what everything costs - tho the Trade Values forums should help here - just use what you have, and buy what you feel is needed. I'm not going to bother take my smiters gear above the basic as it does the job just fine.
    As long as you have some CB and lots of resists you're pretty much sorted, tho personally i'd save myself 5 Ists on the [email protected]'s and just pop salv on for mephi.

6. Mason

Thanks, youve all been a ton of help. Im definately wealthy enough to make a halfway decent smiter, im just asking cus I tried once before, but since I barely had a knowledge of how this game worked, I didnt do too well.

7. Shanksie1337

My point was you don't need to be wealthy to make an effective smiter :D. With a little luck at Hellforge you should be able to gear one up with that an whatever pgems you have from leveling. Ofc spending more on him is also fun, i'm not really a min-maxer at these things.

8. Mason

Yeah, I always thought you had to be Practically rolling in HRs to afford the high end gear. After doing abit of research, found out you can make it for considerably cheap. Thanks.

9. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Effective smiters are very cheap. They will only cost you 1 hr at its least.

10. Shanksie1337

if 1 hr = ~10 Ists, then i must disagree with your definition of "cheap", you can gear a UT capable smiter up for an Ist easily, at least on EuSCL.

11. Mason

I just need it to be able to take ubers, even if just barely. I figure if it can, then I can build my wealth off that. As it stands, I have a summonmancer, and the nature of his build makes it nigh impossible to run some things.

12. MFDeath

MFDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Obviously prices will vary from realm to realm, but on USEast SC Ladder you can equip a successful UT smiter with a couple of Puls/Ums and a handful of pgems worth of items. All you really need is some CB, Life Tap, CBF and good res, so important affordable pieces would include Guillaume's helm, a pair of Dracs and Gores, and a Ravenfrost... From there the rest of your gear can vary quite alot depending on what you already have or can afford to trade, and you'll still pull it off as long as you use the right skills (Smite + Fanat/Salvation) and strategy (kill Meph ASAP, ignore all minions).

13. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with MFdeath. same on EastHC. slightly more expensive (4 pgems rather then 2, or a slightly higher rune), but most semi-decent uniques can be had for pgems. traded for an akaran target with 45 resist all once (think it was 3 pgems or so), socketed it and made a spirit with 85+ resists for everything but fire. Carried me through hell easily. It can just takes some time to shop and play it smart. but it's not expensive.

14. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

here's a cheap and cheerful setup that'll get you through.

Hat: Guillaumes Face or something with mass resists.
    ammy: anything with decent resists.
    armour: Smoke, Viper, something with resists.
    belt: who cares. bladebuckle can work. look for res, stats, life and/or fhr.
    gloves: dracs are gfg. crafted blood gloves can work, so can bloodfists.
    rings: a ravenfrost and who really cares
    boots: goblin toes or gores (gores if no OW anyehere else)
    wep: Black flail, Gnasher, Crushflange mace, Wizardspike Bone Knife (for res), anything half decently fast with some CB is all you really need.
    shield: Sanctuary runeword, 4x p-diamond in any elite pally shield with half decent base resists.

switch: a wand with lifetap charges and another shield.

that'll get you through.

edit: charms; any motly combo of +life will do the trick. some extra res is nice.