Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Corvette mania

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

Corvette mania

Alright well this is a strange story.

A few weeks ago, one of my best friends got a used corvette Z06 for a good price. My other friend's dad also got a corvette (the new C6). So I was like, ok cool i can take a few rides in their corvette later on. But the next morning on my way to school, I see one of my neighbor's c5 corvette on sale!

That was the best opportunity to get one b/c it was a 2000 model and their value are only around 20k. I copied down the phone number, planning to call the guy asking him for specifics and stuff later on.

But as usual, I procrastinated. Today, on my way home from school, I noticed something strange. I was at a big intersection. First, I saw a corvette Z06 on the opposite side of the road. 10 seconds later, a c5 convertible appeared and made a right turn at the intersection. Another 10 seconds later, a regular c5 drove by and made a left turn.

I was like, whoa... 3 corvettes in less than a minute. Now that's something you dont see everyday. Anyway, I didnt think of it as anything other than a coincidence. But when I drove into my neighborhood, my neighbor's corvette was gone along with the "For sale" sign! I said to myself, 'nooooo!!! I'm never gonna be able to get a corvette!" *bangs my head on the car window almost crashing into the curb*

Now that can't be a coincidence can it? There's gotta be some kind of greater power at work here. What do you think?

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

There's a guy who lives near me who began parking his Corvette in the lot in my complex lately. I'll have to get pics of it, it's an old one though. I'm thinking early 70's, but I don't know a terrible lot about Corvettes, even though I like 'em.

edit: It looks like this one which is a 1978.

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I think you live in a rich neighborhood.

4. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

Pipes!!! Pipes!!!!

The old Timers here will remeber the Bill Cosby skit.

My old boss had a 76 bicenntenial vette, and let 16 y/os drive it to the car wash for him. It was totaled in a flood in 1988. Was parked in his garage and the street flooded, he didn't care about the damage to the house but was crushed at the loss of the car.

5. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

The 80's Corvette was crappy. A riced out Civic can give it a run for money.

The newer ones are pretty sweet. Can a Civic beat the new versions?

6. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

its a sign from satan

7. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

8. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

bet those three vettes were trying unsuccessfully to catch up to three stangs a block or two ahead of them

9. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Hell no.

The new Z06 C6 Corvette has about 500 Horsepower, and have go 0-60 under 4 seconds.

http://webpages.charter.net/rogassian/DSC04935.JPG

A mustang will always be far behind a corvette. or broken down.

10. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Bah..

both vettes and stangs are American cars... which IMO are junk. Granted the new Z06 is quite fast, but it's still just a vette... the exclusivity has been lost long ago on those.

As to can a riced out civvie beat a vette? Theoretically, you could rice out anything to the point where it would beat a vette. You gotta compare apples to apples here. You could rice a civic to outrun a vette with an 11.0 quarter mile; then the vette owner could simply do some tuning of his own and reply with a 10.5. All depends how much each vehicle is "riced" and that's so subjective that the question becomes pointless.

My own taste runs to cars that are extremely fast off the showroom floor. I also prefer cars that are rarely seen. Corvettes are wicked fast, but far too common. Riced civvies require a lot of work to be fast, and are far more common than the vette. But take a beautiful car such as any of the latest offerings from Aston Martin... and you have something fast, and something exotic. Something that even automotive neophytes sit up and notice. Nothing sounds as awesome as the V-12 engine on the Vanquish, as you step on the gas, downshift, and fly from 100 to 150 in what seems like the blink of an eye. I have never derived that thrill from a vette, or a stang, or even my friend's 600 HP Supra. not even close.

But to each his own I suppose. I'm simply a big fan of Aston Martin and their vehicles.

11. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Ya know, dey is some po' folks in this world that can't afford $100k+, $200k+ Aston Martins.

12. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

If anyone's handing out expensive cars, I'd like a 612 Scaglietti.

13. skihard

skihard Banned

I did some design work on both the C6 and the Z06 mainly with the targa roof

here are some screen shots

Z06 Top

Z06 Bottom

C6 Bottom

14. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

My best friend owned a '71 Corvette and I have driven some of the newer models and all I can say is they are a God-awful uncomfortable ride. :(

I'd take the new 'stang over a vette any day as it is not about speed only. Comfort and overall ride is very important to me. Of course, if money weren't an issue, the Vanquish would be my choice! :D

Edmunds.com says

15. mullenman

mullenman IncGamers Member

I don't know if your understanding the term "ricer." It's not a good thing. Usually it's just weird kids who put a lot of visual mods and a loud muffler on their car. This is just a stupid thing. But serious racers are the guys with the sleeper little japanese cars that weigh under 3000 pounds and push 400+ HP.
    Theres a guy around here with an insanely fast CRX. I've seen him driving around quite a bit and actually saw him take down a brand new moded
    EVO VIII in a street race, it was quite the scene.

Ah Aston Martins are nice, but i would really like to hear more about your friends Supra, fascinating cars those things are. My dad has a 94 and that thing just cooks.

16. mullenman

mullenman IncGamers Member

You can get a 2000 corvette for about 20K? man that relativley cheap. I couldn't even find a 3rd generation RX-7 for under 25k, and those were thrashed.

17. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

ya corvettes (and many other american cars) have a heavy devalue rate.

also RX-7's are discontinued; thats why its so expensive.

18. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

no ejector seat or forward firing machine guns behind the head lights? why bother?

19. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Generally true, but corvettes hold their value a lot better than most cars. I don't know how many miles the 2000 had on it, but if you can get a 2000 at $20,000 do not pass go and don't collect $200. Buy it!

Phoenix is the cheapest place in the nation to buy cars, and the KBB retail on a 2000 hard top with standard equip is $25,265

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter
    Trans: 6 Speed Manual
    Drive: RWD
    Mileage: 68,000

Equipment

Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel

Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)

Traction Control
    Leather
    Alloy Wheels

$25,265

20. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Only if you neglect them. A older car in very good shape will really empty your pocket.

Also alot of people like to rebuild or restore older cars. The Corvette I want to buy will only cost about $9,000. It will be worth alot more once I am done with it.