Corvette mania

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
Corvette mania

Alright well this is a strange story.

A few weeks ago, one of my best friends got a used corvette Z06 for a good price. My other friend's dad also got a corvette (the new C6). So I was like, ok cool i can take a few rides in their corvette later on. But the next morning on my way to school, I see one of my neighbor's c5 corvette on sale!

That was the best opportunity to get one b/c it was a 2000 model and their value are only around 20k. I copied down the phone number, planning to call the guy asking him for specifics and stuff later on.

But as usual, I procrastinated. Today, on my way home from school, I noticed something strange. I was at a big intersection. First, I saw a corvette Z06 on the opposite side of the road. 10 seconds later, a c5 convertible appeared and made a right turn at the intersection. Another 10 seconds later, a regular c5 drove by and made a left turn.

I was like, whoa... 3 corvettes in less than a minute. Now that's something you dont see everyday. Anyway, I didnt think of it as anything other than a coincidence. But when I drove into my neighborhood, my neighbor's corvette was gone along with the "For sale" sign! I said to myself, 'nooooo!!! I'm never gonna be able to get a corvette!" *bangs my head on the car window almost crashing into the curb*

Now that can't be a coincidence can it? There's gotta be some kind of greater power at work here. What do you think?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a guy who lives near me who began parking his Corvette in the lot in my complex lately. I'll have to get pics of it, it's an old one though. I'm thinking early 70's, but I don't know a terrible lot about Corvettes, even though I like 'em.

edit: It looks like this one which is a 1978.

kernelpops

Diabloii.Net Member
Pipes!!! Pipes!!!!

The old Timers here will remeber the Bill Cosby skit.

My old boss had a 76 bicenntenial vette, and let 16 y/os drive it to the car wash for him. It was totaled in a flood in 1988. Was parked in his garage and the street flooded, he didn't care about the damage to the house but was crushed at the loss of the car.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
The 80's Corvette was crappy. A riced out Civic can give it a run for money.

The newer ones are pretty sweet. Can a Civic beat the new versions?

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
bet those three vettes were trying unsuccessfully to catch up to three stangs a block or two ahead of them

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Bah..

both vettes and stangs are American cars... which IMO are junk. Granted the new Z06 is quite fast, but it's still just a vette... the exclusivity has been lost long ago on those.

As to can a riced out civvie beat a vette? Theoretically, you could rice out anything to the point where it would beat a vette. You gotta compare apples to apples here. You could rice a civic to outrun a vette with an 11.0 quarter mile; then the vette owner could simply do some tuning of his own and reply with a 10.5. All depends how much each vehicle is "riced" and that's so subjective that the question becomes pointless.

My own taste runs to cars that are extremely fast off the showroom floor. I also prefer cars that are rarely seen. Corvettes are wicked fast, but far too common. Riced civvies require a lot of work to be fast, and are far more common than the vette. But take a beautiful car such as any of the latest offerings from Aston Martin... and you have something fast, and something exotic. Something that even automotive neophytes sit up and notice. Nothing sounds as awesome as the V-12 engine on the Vanquish, as you step on the gas, downshift, and fly from 100 to 150 in what seems like the blink of an eye. I have never derived that thrill from a vette, or a stang, or even my friend's 600 HP Supra. not even close.

But to each his own I suppose. I'm simply a big fan of Aston Martin and their vehicles.

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
My best friend owned a '71 Corvette and I have driven some of the newer models and all I can say is they are a God-awful uncomfortable ride. :(

I'd take the new 'stang over a vette any day as it is not about speed only. Comfort and overall ride is very important to me. Of course, if money weren't an issue, the Vanquish would be my choice! :D

Edmunds.com says

"I drove the new 2005 Corvette the same day I drove the Mustang and I like the Mustang much better. The interior is nearly perfect — the adjustable gauge colors are a nice touch."
"The handling and steering feel are so impressive, in fact, that several road test editors that drove the car back-to-back with the new '05 Corvette felt that while the 'Vette is a bit faster in terms of actual performance numbers, the Mustang is actually more fun to drive.

mullenman

Diabloii.Net Member
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
Bah..

both vettes and stangs are American cars... which IMO are junk. Granted the new Z06 is quite fast, but it's still just a vette... the exclusivity has been lost long ago on those.

As to can a riced out civvie beat a vette? Theoretically, you could rice out anything to the point where it would beat a vette. You gotta compare apples to apples here. You could rice a civic to outrun a vette with an 11.0 quarter mile; then the vette owner could simply do some tuning of his own and reply with a 10.5. All depends how much each vehicle is "riced" and that's so subjective that the question becomes pointless.

My own taste runs to cars that are extremely fast off the showroom floor. I also prefer cars that are rarely seen. Corvettes are wicked fast, but far too common. Riced civvies require a lot of work to be fast, and are far more common than the vette. But take a beautiful car such as any of the latest offerings from Aston Martin... and you have something fast, and something exotic. Something that even automotive neophytes sit up and notice. Nothing sounds as awesome as the V-12 engine on the Vanquish, as you step on the gas, downshift, and fly from 100 to 150 in what seems like the blink of an eye. I have never derived that thrill from a vette, or a stang, or even my friend's 600 HP Supra. not even close.

But to each his own I suppose. I'm simply a big fan of Aston Martin and their vehicles.

I don't know if your understanding the term "ricer." It's not a good thing. Usually it's just weird kids who put a lot of visual mods and a loud muffler on their car. This is just a stupid thing. But serious racers are the guys with the sleeper little japanese cars that weigh under 3000 pounds and push 400+ HP.
Theres a guy around here with an insanely fast CRX. I've seen him driving around quite a bit and actually saw him take down a brand new moded
EVO VIII in a street race, it was quite the scene.

Ah Aston Martins are nice, but i would really like to hear more about your friends Supra, fascinating cars those things are. My dad has a 94 and that thing just cooks.

mullenman

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:
But the next morning on my way to school, I see one of my neighbor's c5 corvette on sale!

That was the best opportunity to get one b/c it was a 2000 model and their value are only around 20k. I copied down the phone number, planning to call the guy asking him for specifics and stuff later on.
You can get a 2000 corvette for about 20K? man that relativley cheap. I couldn't even find a 3rd generation RX-7 for under 25k, and those were thrashed.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
mullenman said:
You can get a 2000 corvette for about 20K? man that relativley cheap. I couldn't even find a 3rd generation RX-7 for under 25k, and those were thrashed.
ya corvettes (and many other american cars) have a heavy devalue rate.

also RX-7's are discontinued; thats why its so expensive.

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:

also RX-7's are discontinued; thats why its so expensive.
Generally true, but corvettes hold their value a lot better than most cars. I don't know how many miles the 2000 had on it, but if you can get a 2000 at $20,000 do not pass go and don't collect $200. Buy it!

Phoenix is the cheapest place in the nation to buy cars, and the KBB retail on a 2000 hard top with standard equip is $25,265

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter
Trans: 6 Speed Manual
Drive: RWD
Mileage: 68,000

Equipment

Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel

Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)

Traction Control
Leather
Alloy Wheels

$25,265

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:
Only if you neglect them. A older car in very good shape will really empty your pocket.

Also alot of people like to rebuild or restore older cars. The Corvette I want to buy will only cost about $9,000. It will be worth alot more once I am done with it.