Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Copyright Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cleanupguy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Copyright Question

My bestfriend is currently stationed in Iraq. According to him, everyone is very busy, and I can imagine. He gets 1 day off on Friday, but, due to all the terror attacks and snipers around his station, soldiers are not recommended to leave the station. If they want to leave the station, then they need to go in a group of 5 or more. So, most of the soldiers choose to remain at their own stations rather than risk leaving the station and get into possible trouble.

I can only imagine the boredom that he must feel. So, I want to send him some movies and music. I own about 250 DVD titles (all purchased) and about 300 music CD's. If I were to copy my own DVD movies and music CD's and send them off to Iraq where my friend is stationed, will I get into trouble for copyright issue? The parcel will have to be shipped APO, but still it goes through the customs.

Does anyone with the expertise in this area know about this at all? I would greatly appreciate your insight and information.

Thanks.

2. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

Why not make the copies, then keep them for yourself and send him the originals?

[/DevilishCunning]

3. cleanupguy

Because the copies will not be as good in quality as the originals. I'm somewhat of a movie buff and cannot stand crap quality of movies. I use only progressive scan DVD players connected to a HDTV. Copies will not have the quality.

Anyway, anyone has any idea on this?

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

ATleast in Sweden you are alowed to burn and share movies/games/music with close friends and family just not alowed to sell the copies.

and it crtainly isnt illegal to have burned games/dvds/music in your home so I dont see why you wouldnt be allowed to send him movies.

5. dorcusmalorcus

dorcusmalorcus IncGamers Member

Being military myself, I have had friends/family burn CDs/movies to send to us especially when we were overseas. I can't remember any one of them having a problem shipping the stuff to us. On the customs form, just declare what is in the box....movie DVDs and music CDs. I wouldn't recommend trying to ship more than a few movies and CDs at a time, so it doesn't look like you are running a business with your buddy.

As long as you are sending him a box, ask him what else he needs and just send him a care package. He'll appreciate the thought.

6. cleanupguy

Thank you so much for your sharing information. This gives me some peace of mind, and I certainly do not run any business with my buddy in the army. He won't even tell me where he's stationed because it's classified. Also, he only gets about 15 minutes of calling time anyway.

I just hope that he will be back in the US soon. We see too much bloodshed on these innocent soldiers.

This time, I will be sending only DVD's and CD's. Next time, I will send him some care package.

Since you were stationed overseas too, what did you like particularly in terms of care package?

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

As Dorcus said, a care package. Books, candy, music, a current newspaper, Playboy magazines, cookies, phone cards, playing cards with naked women on them, gum, etc. Send copies of the DVDs as well. Nobody really cares about what you send so long as it isn't contraband. And if possible, a cd or dvd with a message from his family.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Sending 250 at once might raise some eyebrows. Why not send a package every week with a dozen flicks or so?

And do send him personal messages if at all possible, like Smeg says. Even if you don't have a video camera, just having family and friends talk into the computer mike and including .wav files of those messages will be a great addition to the care package. :)

9. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

I just have a note, what idiot would try to prosecute him or you for violating a copyright when he is protecting our country... No jury would ever agree with the prosecutor. Just use the line "he is over there, fighting for your freedom, and you have the gull to deprieve him of a small degree of [email protected]!!!!!"

10. DurfBarian

Better yet you could accuse the RIAA/MPAA of having the gall to do something, since they probably don't walk around with seabirds. :teeth:

11. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I though that is contrabanned.

12. cleanupguy

Thanks all for great reply and awesome ideas. And Durf, I'm not gonna send 250 copies of DVD's. :lol: I am too lazy to copy all movies. I'm gonna send him about 9 to 10 copies every 2 weeks, so he won't ever get bored and leave the station.

Freemason: your ideas seem pretty good, and I am going to use them. I'm sure he and his buddies will appreciate the arts a lot. :lol:

I have a digital camera, so I guess I will go over to his parents' house next time to take some pictures of his family. I'm sure he will like them a lot. I've always been appreciative of the military, but never actually have done anything for them. Having a friend in the army in the time of war really does change one's perspective quite a bit.

Anyway, I gotta get going with copying movies. Thanks guys for great advice.

13. DurfBarian

Sounds like a plan. He'll like the movies and I guarantee he'll love some CDs full of pics of those he loves. Don't forget to take lots of his house, his room, his dog, his back yard, and on and on so he can show his buds what his life is all about back home.

Also, take pics of you drinking lots of cold beer with women in bathing suits. That'll make him furious and he'll win the war all by himself. :D

14. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I would think since it's going to a close, personal friend and because there is no profit or money involved, it would be ok. Just tread carefully, those RIAA and MPAA are a short fused bunch.

15. dorcusmalorcus

dorcusmalorcus IncGamers Member

Freemason got most of the stuff to send, Cleanupguy. A couple of my buddies that just got back reported they needed just basic stuff cuz they would run out quick. Soap, deodorant, baby wipes (crucial part of your gear), razors, hard candy, magazines, gum, and powdered drink mix are always good items for the field. Problem with cookies over a several thousand mile journey is they normally show up as a fine powder with chocolate chips in it. It's starting to get hot, so I'd highly recommend packets of Gatorade, lemonade, etc. Anything is better than water after a while. Hot Gatorade is marginally better than hot water, but at least it has some taste.

If you could get in some digital photos of his family and friends, that would be great. Any pictures of recent events (birthdays, BBQs, etc) would also be nice. DON"T send the Playboy as it might get confiscated by customs or even hold up his packet. Worst case is they would send the packet back to you. I'm sure he'd appreciate the magazine, but he'd appreciate the other stuff even more.