Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

cooking thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nrabbit, Jun 3, 2005.

1. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

cooking thread

can you cook? i can make really nice eggs. i am also good at makingg pancakes and soups. actually when i think about it i really like to cook! :p
    heres another question for you: lets say you are alone and you are starving to death, do you have any cooking skills to survive from hunger?

2. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Diabloii.Net Member

I cook pretty well, especially French food. I started it one day when my parents took off on vacation and left me home alone.

After 6 days of burgers, I bought a cookbook and started. It's alot easier than women make it out to be.

My favorites are:

Cog au vin
    Chicken in wine sauce and grapes
    Pepper steak in wine sauce and garlic
    Salmon in white wine and peppercorn

Here is the irony, I've become such a picky eater that I've lost alot of weight since I now refuse to eat at restaurants that can't cooks as well as me. Weird huh?

3. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor Diabloii.Net Member

I'm an omelette making fiend!

4. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 Diabloii.Net Member

I like to think I can cook. I am a chef. I have been cooking for about seven years. I cook authentic ethnic foods of all sorts. French, Norwegian, Russian, Korean, etc. Korean is my specialty. My work sent me to a cooking school in Seoul for 4 weeks. After years of cookin Korean food I still can't make kimchi right.

5. nrabbit

nice i actually had plans for going into a cooking school but never happened :(

6. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Here's my take on this. If I were alone, and I were starving to death (which reminds me of a Stephen King story about a surgeon marooned on a desert isle with only his black bag o' doctor tricks for company, who survived by amputating his limbs one at a time and eating them) it strikes me that the more immediate problem would be the lack of food, not the lack of cooking skills. Secondarily would be the lack of fire. Thirdly would be the lack of utensils. Then, perhaps, the lack of cooking ability.

7. nrabbit

ok lets assume that you are at home and yo have an oven, a lot of utensils and a lot of food that needs to be cooked, then what?

8. onionfarm

onionfarm Diabloii.Net Member

Hire a caterer?

9. jimmyboy

Burger King.

10. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I go out to a restaurant.

Seriously, I have raised 4 kids and I'm an 'enlightened' man. I can cook anything, given a recipe book, and a lot of things without one.

11. nrabbit

*plans to jump from the window*
    okay lets also assume that you don't have a phone and that you are locked inside the house, oh and you don't have connection to internet to order food or something else you might think of.

12. jimmyboy

Is it the spice? I took a Korean girl out once and she ate hotpeppers like penuts. Literally like penuts... no water, no rice.

I tried one and I couldn't breath. And I thought I love hot food.

13. [exile]

[exile] Diabloii.Net Member

<3 Instant Noodles.

But yeah, I like to think I'm good at making fried rice and fried noodles and the like. But poeple are usually afraid to tell the hot-frying-pan-wielding-guy that his cooking is too salty.

14. KevinFV

KevinFV Diabloii.Net Member

i can cook a little, my main skill is Microwaving. takes some skill, but i got use to it

15. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 Diabloii.Net Member

Go to yard sales and you will be amazed at the number of old microwave cookbooks you can find. "How to Cook a Cow in 6 Minutes"

16. RavensRebirth

RavensRebirth Diabloii.Net Member

Lets say that did happen.
    First of all you would never know what i would do because i couldn't relay my experience, but assuming there was frozen pizza and mountain dew i could live for a good 2 days befor i ran my head into the wall from boredom and a lack of diablo

17. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

LOL at you guys screwing up nrabbit's scenario :lol: :lol:

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I can cook on a campout over an open fire, last month I made 16 oz steaks with baked potatoes and dutch oven bread(the older boys get bored of having standard camp foods so we try harder things). For dessert I made the classic Monkey Bread(basically cinnamon rolls, only bite size . . . and more messy)

The adults had a deep fried turkey with angel food cake for dessert. Lucky bastards getting to use a deep fryer.

At home I can't cook a damn thing really. Frozen pizza or things in the microwave, but beyond that I can't seem to get it to work. My sister on the other hand can make anything without looking at the recipe and it always comes out perfect. She makes the best cookies/cakes/brownies I have ever had. . .I am going to go get some now. . .

19. Keldaris

Keldaris Diabloii.Net Member

I can cook quite well, in fact last night i cooked a 32Oz steak, with 3eggs, hasbrowns, bacon, and toast.

20. Stevinator

Stevinator Diabloii.Net Member

THe key to cooking is not having any fear of screwing it up. try something new, and if it sucks..well you have a funny story to tell.

I am a decent chef, but my experience is mostly italian food and anything that can be made on a charcoal grill. you'd be amazed what can be made on a charcoal grill.

I've dabbled in french, but I wouldn't say I know french cooking....really I just understand the basics on how to make a good sauce from wine. I never really cook asian food, save a very americanized stir fry that's more of a let's clean out the fridge dish than gourmet. I usually make some german food in the fall. but only because the season lends to it. I haven't had any formal training, but I worked my way through high school and college by cooking in restaurants.