Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Convince me to play druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Greebo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 IncGamers Member

Re: Convince me to play druid

I've never played a druid either. I'm thinking of making a windy because that looks like the most viable build (and I want to play a caster, so out of fire/wind.. wind seems better, but I'm not sure).

2. testyfish

testyfish IncGamers Member

I played a windy...and it sucked, imo. I'd go fire/summon...but that may be because I'm currently playing one. Fissure is a quite excellent skill. =) Entire groups go down quickly, and I only have 18 or so skillpoints invested in it and synergies at level 48. (the rest are in grizzly)

3. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

No doubt. I like having solar creeper on all the time while questing for quick corpse removal (I don't get hit all that often, so carrion vine doesn't get rid of corpses reliably), but they're not really required points. When starting a windy, I'd definitely recommend a 1-point bear, 1-point oak and maxed wind skills. Once you figure out your preferences, there are a few spare points to play with. You can get vines, pump oak sage, pump dire wolves, or even pump grizzly. Honestly, you could take them out back and plant a skill tree, they're mostly just for convenience.

4. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

4fpa fire claws bear with (or without) Infinity.

5. Swamigoon

Swamigoon IncGamers Member

Druids are my favorite toons to drive, but think I understand why others loath them. The game engine places a lot of restrictions on the druid's skills:
    • The shifter tree has three skills that only work in wolf or bear form, three more for wolf form only, and two more for bear form only.
    • The element tree has nine skills that only work when *not* shifted, and six of those have casting delays that, after casting one, prevents you from casting any of the other five. Furthermore, most of the elemental skills are only effective in close to medium range fighting, rather than the safety of long range that most casters prefer.
    • The only summons that deal any effective damage in Hell difficulty are the mammals, and the game engine limits you to only one kind of mammal summoned at a time.

I still enjoy my druids despite these restrictions, but others find these limits annoying and stifling to their creativity. A novel way to overcome the restrictions in a shifter/elemental hybrid is with frequent unshift-cast-shift-melee sequences; you can read an example of one such build in Doctor Clock's very entertaining recent SPF Pat writeup:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775606
    However, I think such build styles are best accomplished with the kind hot-key micromanagement and gameplay stress that, if I enjoyed it, would have me playing an RTS like Starcraft 2, not D2LoD.

I have played several hunter druids, and they are still my favorites. I continue to surprise myself with the slow and steady fun I experience using a normal (ranged) attack on the left button and combat-recasting various summons with the right button. Since it's not build variety and creativity that makes the druid my favorite, I suppose it must be the role-playing escapism that I project onto the character. Silly as they are, I think I have a soft spot for the "noble-savage" tropes in fantasy fiction.