Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Convince me to play druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Greebo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Brutass

Brutass IncGamers Member

Re: Convince me to play druid

Hmmm, not a huge druid fan either and have tried a few poor attempts at them with limited success. Recently I found a Jalal's Mane so I thought I'd give it another crack, so I have started a Windy and so far he has reached Act 1 Hell. Up until now he has been pretty effective and dealt to Nightmare Baal probably easier than any other character I have had previously. The jury is still out as he is a bit boring to play but as long as he can make his way through Hell then I'm sure I can find an end occupation for him - we'll see.
    Sorry, not a convincing argument I know

2. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Easy choice. No? Oh well, I enjoyed it immensely, and I guess it's not too bad knowing you're the only one to be fool enough to make a certain char.

As for myself, if I were to make another Druid (don't tell Liq, but I never cared for the smelly, swill-guzzling, slop-eating tree huggers myself. Actually, do tell Liq, and send him my regards, preferably wearing latex gloves and a clothespin on the nose) I'd probably go with a Feral wolf. I found Feral Rage fascinating on my wolf barb and always thought it would be interesting to test it out for a longer and more involved period. Colorless Green did it before I could, though, so I never ended up getting around to it.

Edit: As for leveling, if you don't have a 1.07/1.09 RavenClaw, then I'd focus on crystal swords socketed with jewels of ire/wrath/carnage/Ptopazes/etc. and just melee through, assuming you're not a summoner. If you are a summoner, you'll still need to use those items, but you'll want to stop and recast your monsters every 3 seconds when they die. ;p

3. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

Strangely, no one has linked Liq's amazing Earth Shifter druid guide yet. I made the build, and it is one of the most fun play experiences I've had, not just among druid builds but in D2 overall.

I also enjoyed the ribcracker fury druid quite a bit, but don't go crazy - the fireclaws Aldur's Set werebear is only for novelty purposes.

4. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Simon says, play druid!

Srsly, wolves are awesome. Good damage, high AR, possibility to utilize CTC effects that actually deal some damage, 100% CB (if do want) - easily.
    Oh oh oh and the cool ability to use a WWS or Blizzard Cannon as a melee weapon!

Fire druids are fun, too. The good thing about them is the fact that they don't have to save skillpts from low lvls. You reach Firestorm - pump it and roast zombies. You reach Boulder? Pump it and smash 'em! You reach Fissure - pump it and pwn 'em!!
    The bad thing is the fact that physical part of volcano and boulder is not very strong, and you have to rely on mercenaty and (if you have spare skillpts) Grizzly.

Hunter is also fun, too (tho a bit slow). A whole variety of good bows are waiting for you to pick the one you like best. WWS, Burrito, Riphook, Harmony, Faith. If you dislike the fact of being an archer, use Trang-Oul's Set to get access to firewall.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

My Flaming Mauler!

Why? Because the only thing worse than getting mauled in the face by a bear is getting mauled in the face by a bear with his paws on fire! THAT'S WHY!

6. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i have to go make another couple of druids pats now.

7. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Dont play druid!!! This class sucks!

Except Fury druid - he's cool and kills fast.
    Oh, oh, and Fire Claw Bear - hes cool, coz he can hit at 4fpa and deal thousands of damage
    Oh, and Mauler - hes fine with high damage, has lots of life and is big and smelly.
    Windy is cool too, hes got decent damage and deals two types of damage (didnt like the way he casts spells, so I respec'd and Fury my way to Baal ;) ).
    I always wanted to play Fire elem druid, I quess Aldur set fire drood can be cool.

Ok, druids are fun.
    I recommend you Fury one for starters. He can lvl up easily with Bonesnap at 24lvl, upped Bonesnap at 29, Burrito at 41 (yeah Burrito cannon wolf kicks ***). After that Oath in 2h and you can easily pat him.

8. nex

nex IncGamers Member

I just started 2 druids. That's how cool they are. :thumbup:

9. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Bit late to the party, but IMHO Molten Boulder is the most entertaining skill in the game. If you want novelty, I'd try out a Summoner with some points in Molten Boulder and Twister for entertainment/crowd control. Slap a decent bow on him so he has something else to do while you're waiting for your score on zombie bowling

10. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

In the UK Druids meet up disguised as The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA):
    http://4.bp.************/_soY3d4LJqV4/R5aRP3zM2-I/AAAAAAAABVc/y8pt9qG3xEU/s400/S2020800.JPG

That will be the next (and possibly the last) Druid I make. Maybe a fire druid too, or whatever the proper name is for them.

11. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Do u have a horizon's tornado? If so try a fury-wind wolf. People have done using stormlash, but lvl 85 is too long to wait, no ? I tried it with Horizon's,[lvl req in 60's, 5 frame fury with a nice ctc(20% iirc) lvl 16 tornado] with nado synergies maxed. Really fun build.

If u don't mind a 7 frames fury(same is the case with earthshifter build iirc), then Rift thresher will add FO along with tornado(and more physical damage ofc) making it even more fun to play.Both the builds are really fun to play.

As for levelling, I think fire druids are fun to play and deal decent damage for lower levels.

12. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Yes, I have fun when I have to think every move. I'm not playing this game so that I can just hack and slash or telestomp every monster down without even bothering to read their mods.

Vines are for utility use. Poison Creeper gives easy PMH, Carrion Vine and Solar Creeper corpse disposal.

13. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

+1 to fire/huntermentalist. here's a guide.

14. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Yeah do this except max Molten Boulder and Volcano instead.

15. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Damn you all!

Now I want to make my first firementalist.
    I quess Travi running, making rift-assin, patting my zealot, leveling my first HC untwinked sin, 1.07 racking, making Buriza strafazon and matting my fendazon can wait...

Damn you SPF!

16. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Werewolves make the funniest sound when you're stuck in fire.

Other than that, I parked mine after Normal. Meh.

17. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I built a Maul/Shock Werebear in 1.09 with a point+skillers in Hunger, and I must say he was incredibly tough. You CAN get Maul fast if you gear it right. You have to be aware of the difference in Weapon IAS (WIAS) and Off-weapon IAS (OIAS). WIAS has a much larger impact on shapeshifted attack speed than OIAS. My bear uses a Shaeled Buriza (+3 Athena's Wrath on switch for shapeshifting/summoning). I found that 1+ skillers Hunger is a most worthy investment since it allows a quick switch for crazy leech when the bulbs get low - works much better than red/blue bulbs.

I'd suggest a Maul/Shock bear because the latest patch buffed this build somewhat, so it should be a little stronger in 1.13.

Shapeshifters take some research to plan, but here's some of my observations:

- Life pots have very little benefit to a druid for some reason. Given the HP bonus you get as a shapeshifter, you are much better off collecting rejuvs than red pots.

- Bears can have trouble navigating through crowds from time to time. Be aware of this.

- Bears benefit from high defense items since they have a big defense bonus.

- 1.09 doesn't allow upgrades, so I could not up a Ribby, but I really want to try that weapon in 1.13. Shael is a no-brainer for the WIAS benefit. A fast Maul attack is something impressive - very much like Zeal.

18. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

erk double post due to "this forum requires you to wait 30 seconds between posts" + bug

19. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

There's just something that strikes me as ...off, about a werewolf or bear using a crossbow.

Kinda like non-sorceress characters teleporting. I dunno. I guess I'm too old for this stuff, and Blizzard has a tendency to just toss goodies and candy out the window as each patch drives by, in both Diablo and WoW. To each their own, I suppose. I have no doubt that it's a faster, more powerful way to play than how I do things.

20. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Well to be honest, a Buriza is far from the ideal maul weapon. Something as simple as an IK Maul would be much better.

@Greebo:

You better start playing Druids or my bear will bite your head off.

Convinced? :p

(I like any kind of Werebear the most I guess)