Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

conviction not so good?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Xylx, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Xylx

Xylx IncGamers Member

conviction not so good?

Hi all,

I made an avenger and just leveled him up so he can wear his gear and do hell baal runs with the blizzard sorc of a friend. I must say I'm kinda disappointed with the conviction aura. From the paladin faq:

"While Conviction acts at only 1/5 effectiveness against immune creatures, if it barely pierces the immunity (say it leaves them with 99% resistance to that element) then the Sorceress skill "cold mastery" will begin to work on the enemy, as will other items that lower enemy resistances by a percent that would not normally help against immune creatures. So an Avenger/Cold Sorceress combo is generally unstoppable (even cold immunes will often have negative 100 cold resistance for the Sorc's attacks). There are some immunes with resistances too high to pierce, but with high level Conviction the majority of these monsters will be left somewhat vunerable to the elemental attacks they were previously immune to."

My pala has level 27 conviction which is obviously enough for -150%, but very few monsters get their cold immunity pierced. It's really not worth it in act 5. I end up killing bone mages, suicide minions, stygian furies, zombies etc. etc. all one by one cause they remain cold immune. I'm more than happy with my own vengeance damage, but it isn't really helping the sorc. I think the faq needs to be changed here. There are probably much better combinations of 2 characters.

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Luckily monsters that have 150% or more resistance to a particular element are not common. Therefore something like a level 25-30 conviction should pierce their immunity (Most of them have 100-120% resistance it seems) and then the sorc really does take over with the damage. I also believe that this is the most powerful 2 person killing team in the game even though the pally himself doesn't have to do much damage himself. Like come on, level 30 conviction + eg. level 35 frozen orb and high level cold mastery? Goodnight monsters!

3. *Cyrus*

*Cyrus* IncGamers Member

Sadly, I believe I wrote that for the Paladin FAQ. I believe I was smoking something commonly known as crack at the time. I'm off of it now and I see that the vast majority of Cold Immunes in Act 5 (and in the entire game) have 130% + Cold Resistance, which means Conviction won't break their immunity.

150/5= 30. So 129 is the maximum resistance that can be broken by Conviction. Few immunes have anything below 130, a few have 100-120 or something, but most do have 130-160...

It should definitely be changed, it's not correct and is misleading to say the least.

4. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

How about adding a wand w/ charges of lower resist, should make up the difference.

5. HandofElysium

HandofElysium IncGamers Member

I'll tell you want thing is that conviction is good you just need to have the right setup for it.

I made an experimental pvp conviction/zealot for fun and he does okay in pvp but I didn't realize how much he rocked so much in pvm. You basically get the best of both worlds. You have some physical damage mix bag of elemental plus conviction? There is no monster that can resist you. If you sorc friend can't get the immunes you can clean up the rest with a conviction/zealot with the right gear.