Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Conviction in PvM: lvl 15 max?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Evanta, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Conviction in PvM: lvl 15 max?

Hi, was wondering, since monster resists only hit -100 max, and more than half of the monsters have 0 resists in most elements anyway, isn't just hitting lvl 15 conviction the most optimum lvl, and put points elsewhere?

2. gzvernon

gzvernon IncGamers Member

never know you may run into DClone, so i would max it to be sure that way your always ready for anything.

3. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

... the max lower res convi can give is 150%, wich you reach at lvl 25, so with + skills it should be at lvl 25, thus not maxing it if many +skills planned.

4. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

but I suppose lvl 15 would be more than sufficient, unless there's some strange reason otherwise?

5. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

in hell, monsters usually have resistance or imunity to 1 or 2 elements. in that case, the points after 50 are still not as usefull as before, but they are 1/3 or 2/3 as effective.

now you should compare that 1/3 or 2/3 with the other options, being the synergies.

1 point in conviction = 5% lower resists. since you are already around -100 for most of them, it would be 2.5% to total damage IF it worked on all resists. since however it usually only works on 1 or 2 now, you could devide it by 2, making it 1.25% to total damage.

the synergies add 10% to your damage modifier. that should be around 1200% already, so divide it by 12 to see its effect on the end damage. this makes it about 0.8%.

Conclusion: if you are in hell already, and otherwise you would put the points into synergies, conviction is better than the synergies.

I didnt know lvl 150% is the best it gets at lvl 25, but it would be the best you get anyway since after that you have even undone most of the monster's resistances. therefore, see what you expect to get in + skills, and dont get it beyond lvl 25.

6. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

I'm not trying to laugh at your english but I totally do not understand what you're trying to say. Anyway the point I am trying to confirm is there is no point in getting beyond -100% resist since most monsters have 0 or immunity for resistance, and there is a cap of -100% so more conviction is out of point.

7. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

Most monsters in hell have resistance to other elements in addition to the single immunity that they usually already have. Not to mention that conviction also reduces enemy defense as well.

8. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

and removes immunity.

9. weirdbeard

weirdbeard IncGamers Member

when it removes immunity does it drop it down to 0 (or whatever the base for that monster class is in hell) and start the res reduction from there? or does it treat it like 100 res and reduce from there?

to build upon what was said earlier, conviction also lowers defense, and continues, of course to do so after lvl 15, so with each pt you allocate in conv, the more you hit, so the more damage you do over time. that alone makes it worth it, unless you want to waste lots of pts in dex to boost ar.

10. Mech-Sheep Arsenal

Mech-Sheep Arsenal IncGamers Member

That is correct in some fashion. However, many monsters have a greater immune element, over 100. So it's technically not always counting from 100 and down. For example; it could be counting 150 and down for a monster. Or 106...

11. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

the thing abt def lowering is that it's a little pointless after a while.I dun think dat's a consideration... -86% def at lvl 15 to -92% at lvl 25 is quite oop, so it shouldn't really come into question.

12. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

if you have a monster with 120% cold resist, 75% fire resist and 0% lit resist in front of you :
    lvl 15 conviction turns it into a 100%cold resist (immune), -25% fire res, -100% lit res.
    lvl 20 conviction turns it into a 95%cold resist (you can slow or freeze it)), -50% fire res, -100% lit res.
    lvl 25 conviction turns it into a 90%cold resist (immune), -75% fire res, -100% lit res.

so a lvl 25 will give you more dmg
    every hell monsters have resistances to elements that they are not immune to (maybe some one can say this for me with a good english)
    so you will benefit from every points until the lvl 25 cap.

13. Frightcrawler

Frightcrawler IncGamers Member

? Syphilis, that doesnt make sense. Doesnt lvl 25 convic minus 150%? That would make cold resistance for the monster -30%, not 90%.
    Unless I'm wrong, then excuse my ignorance.

14. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

If a monster initially spawns with an immunity, all skills and items that reduce resistance are reduced to 20% of their stated effectiveness.

For level 25 conviction, 20% of -150% reduction becomes -30% reduction.
    If the monster was initially cold immune at 120%, its cold resistance would now be 90%.

This rule also applies to cold mastery once the immunity is broken.
    If a sorc has cold mastery that has a stated effectiveness of 120%, it would be reduced to 24% against the monster that initially has the cold immunity of 120%.

The final cold resistance in this case for the initially cold immune monster would be 76% for a sorceress having cold mastery of 120% and having a pally around with level 25 conviction.

This rule of 20% effectiveness also applies to other skills such Amplify Damage, Lower Resist and Decrepify.