Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Converting to expansion question

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Feysal, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Converting to expansion question

I usually play expansion characters, and like so many others, I've been frustrated by the poor availability of runes. Indeed, I have practically enshrined the few runes I've been able to find. Then I got an idea which I thought would allow me to get as many as I ever wanted, with considerably less trouble. The answer was to use a classic character.

The idea was to build a classic character who could rush mules through normal and nightmare difficulties. After that, you could convert them to expansion, and as they could still access hell difficulty, you could continue to rush them with your better-equipped expansion characters and grab the hellforge rune drops both in nightmare and hell.

The beauty of that was not only being able to bypass act 5 while rushing which saves time, but being able to bypass the level restriction of the ancients quest and get level 1 mules into expansion hell.

Only as I tried that today it didn't work. The friend I played with claimed he couldn't create a nightmare game after the conversion. I could find no reason why he couldn't, as he had beyond all doubt gotten the Diablo quest, and he was able to reach act 5 after the conversion. According to Arreat Summit, converted characters who were able to adventure in nightmare or hell prior to the conversion should still be able to do so after it, without having to kill Baal first.

So, what did I do wrong or did I misunderstand something? Does anyone here have any experience regarding this?

Oh, and I'm aware of the way people usually do this, that is by partying with someone doing Baal for quest, which lets them get the quest too without having to do the ancients. I was trying to find a way that didn't involve having to find someone doing the Baal quest, as it would certainly get tedious very quickly.

And, sorry if this goes in the wrong forum. Didn't know where else to put this, and it is classic related at least.

2. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Once a character is past act 2 Hell, he will be able to say in Hell for sure. I use to use my orb sorc and rush characters to act 3 Hell in classic convert and then finish up the rush on my hammerdin on Expac... it does work I am not for sure why you are having difficulties.

3. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

It's not working because when you convert a character to the expansion, to work out which difficulty to place it in the game counts the number of Acts completed rather than checking which classic difficulty you are in.

Reading your original post it seems that you just rushed through Normal in Classic, then found that you couldn't create NM games in the expansion. This is since you have only completed four acts, and of course there's five in the expansion.

So to rush a character to LoD NM you need to beat five acts, and ten to rush a character to LoD Hell. This translates to being past Act 1 NM or Act 2 Hell in classic, the latter mentioned above by Locke07.

Summary: Try killing NM Andy or Hell Duriel in Classic to make sure you move into the respective difficulty when converting your character.

4. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

I have rushed lots of characters to hell act 4 and converted for hell forge quest with no problem at all.

Did you actually try making a nightmare game in classic before you converted?
    The only reason for not being able to make a nightmare game in lod must be because you didnt enter a nightmare game first, im guessing that it just flags up you killed diablo and when converting will allow you to go to act 5 but not to nightmare.