Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Convert Diablo language

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Nizidramanii'yt, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Nizidramanii'yt

Nizidramanii'yt IncGamers Member

Convert Diablo language

Hi all
    I live in France and unfortunately have the French version of DiabloII. No need to say that the translation is not so good but the worse it that I have to check for the English names of the items to make trades.

Would anyone know where I could find some sort of patch to convert the French Diablo to the English one please?

-Nizi

2. bast0s

bast0s IncGamers Member

Hi,

I've got the same problem. It is really uneasy when you have to make quick decision (during a trade or when choosing dropped items). All the tips and forums are referring to original names, so we get confused.

Does anybody knows how to revert to english instead of the localized language ? Really don't wanna buy it twice !

Cheers,

bast0s

3. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

Reinstall it then, you can choose language during installation.

4. Nizidramanii'yt

Sorry to contradict you Feydr, but at least in my vesion of the game, I can't choose which languange I want to have the game in.
    It seems that some kind of dll must be changed to change the language of the game. Does anyone know about that?

-Nizi

5. Jeda

Jeda IncGamers Member

For the important stuff,the item names, you have to replace your d2lang.dll with a d2lang.dll from the language you want to change to. This file is about 70kb in size, so you can easily download it. Try google, I don't think it's anywhere here on dii.net. Also I'm not sure if it is legal to do so.

The d2speech.mpq contains... well the speech, big surprise, and as far as I know there is no way to update it without overwriting the complete file (200 Mb) So if you want speech in another language your best way is to find someone who has the version of the game you want to change to. Same as above, changing the d2speech.mpq file is probably not legal

6. Nizidramanii'yt

Thanks Jeda, I'll be trying this out.

-Nizi

7. Nizidramanii'yt

I finally found a way to convert the text from any original language into English. That's how to proceed:

Create a data\local folder in your Diablo II directory. If your game is installed in "c:\Games\Diablo 2", you should have "c:\Games\Diablo 2\data\local"

Go to http://forum.judgehype.com/showthread.php3?s=&action=showpost&postid=495206#post495206 and download the file called "diablofrtous.zip" and unzip it. You can also get the d2xtalk.mpq in english from http://magistr.john.free.fr/d2xtalk/d2xtalkVO.mpq

Then copy the "use" file into "c:\Games\Diablo 2\data\local".
    Replace (after backing up the original) your d2xtalk.mpq by the one you have downloaded and renamed it.

Finally, add the command -direct to Diablo II shortcut (e.g. "C:\Games\Diablo 2\Diablo II.exe" -direct) and launch the game.

All the game will now be in English.