Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Constant Hell Meph quest drops: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by jinntonic, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jinntonic

jinntonic IncGamers Member

Constant Hell Meph quest drops: Worth it?

Pros:

- Higher chance of set, unique, 100% of rare atleast

Cons:

- Have to either join public games, or have a friend constantly make games for you. Time-consuming, especially when trying to Hell Meph for a few hours.
    - No Izual = No two free skill points
    - No Hellforge = No free HR
    - No socket quest
    - No Resistance Scroll
    - No Pindle runs
    - No Baal runs

Is is really worth it?

2. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

Doesnt it require someone to actually get the quest, rather than having the quest open? Dunno. Never really liked millions of meph runs anyway.

3. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

If you create a game and leave within 30 seconds, the game will be saved. So you can use that method to do solo runs without help from a friend.

4. jinntonic

What? Could you explain that?

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I don't know since what you mention doesn't seem work for me (I think my comp is too slow), but isn't that just a fantastic way of getting yourself a temp restriction even quicker than usual?

As for whether first dropping Meph is worth it or not, I'd say it depends. Some pros you didn't mention:

- you can MF effectively with ghetto gear
    - you can MF effectively with a weaker character like an untwinked Sorc (if your partner in crime is a BO Barb)
    - it takes longer, so you get temp restricted less often

If it's the beginning of a ladder season, first dropping is a good way to accumulate items quickly. At this point in the season you're probably better off just getting a ton of MF gear and running him regular.

6. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

I am quite sure it is not 30 seconds but way less.

This occurs when you enter and game then leave after a VERY short period of time. The game will be saved similar to the 5 minutes game perm. Though this is very unstable.

7. jinntonic

Hmm, I see.

I dont see how this would help me at all though.

8. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

What he means is that you create the game with a character that have not completed mephisto quest, quickly save and exit and enter within a short time period (one minute iirc) with the mf char and proceed to kill mephisto with that one.

- D.J.

9. SuLyMaN

SuLyMaN Banned

Its not that hard to get into "act1 hell help" or "act2 fast plz" hell games to do meph running :)

As to how far this is considered BM, I dont know :)

10. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

If you join such games, the Mephisto quest won't be complete, and you will complete it yourself when you kill Mephisto. So it's a very bad idea :grin:. The best games for that are Baalruns, Diabloruns and Tradegames (usually created by patriarchs/matriarchs).

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Immediately after its creation, a game will persist until it's one minute old, even when nobody is in, not 30 seconds. However, after that first minute you have to make it 5 minutes old to let it persist for up to 5 minutes after everybody left it.

12. psych

psych IncGamers Member

This is correct except that you make the game with a character that _has_ completed the Meph quest (so it can't be completed in this game) and the MF-er can then proceed to kill Meph for the Q-drop (without getting the q).

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

IMHO you loose too much time to make the drop worth it. And if you have a friend - he looses the thime he could otherwise MF alone.

Anyway I calculated the chance of Meph in solo game with 500 MF for equippable items (calculation made on Arachnid Mesh) and the odds were 1.2x better in case of quest drop. That means that the total time of you making the game with other character and running with MF character should be faster than 1.2x time of your normal (non-quest) MF solo run.
    If your normal runs are 1 minute average, your quest runs has to be faster than 72 seconds to have better results.

14. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

on the other hand if you just join pubby games you dont need to do the log in/out thing. It depends on how long your normal run is. You could also drop down and kill andariel as well for another quest drop if your super quick (and want to avoid temp bans)

15. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Meph sucks. We can't drop anything useful except for soj or mara.

16. krischan

I'm quite sure that hell Meph can drop most of the equipment of your characters with an excellent chance. He cannot drop the expensive stuff, but that stuff is only expensive because hell Meph isn't good at dropping it, not the other way around.

If there was no Hell Meph, a lot of items would be far more expensive. Hell Mephisto is the best overall dropper in the game.

17. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

You played too much SP that you forget about the temp-ban issue on ladder:smiley:.
    I think ideally you want to make the game with a char that has done all boss quests, then quickly switch to the MF char and spend 3-5 minutes in that game to get drops from several bosses to maximize efficiency. Some of them will be quest drops, others will just be normal ones.
    Yeah I guess 1 minute is the correct limit you can stay in the game while it's still permed. I normally avoid staying for more than 30 seconds just to be safe.

18. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

If by "some" you mean one or two at most, then yes. A character that quest drops an act boss must go no further than that particular act in order to get the quest drop. Besides Andy, who can be bugged into permanently quest dropping, you can only quest drop one act boss per character.

19. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Actually, my main equip is an ebotd warpike, which is something meph could never drop. Sure, I use gui's helm, highlord's, laying, gores, but I don't think those things would be uber-expensive even without meph. A couple travincal runs with a zerk babo with dual gulls for popping bodies should do the trick :)

20. krischan

Well, no monster can drop a runeword, of course :azn:

Anyway, your botd warpike consists of the base weapon and 6 runes. Meph can drop 5 of these 7 parts. A Meph run with decent MF will give you more uniques than 3 Travincal runs with horking.

I guess most of the Meph stuff would be twice as expensive without him. Many people make lots and lots of Meph runs at the beginning of a season, at least I do that, and IMO he is by far the best target for stuff at that stage. Later you have most of the items he can drop, of course, and you have a barb who can do Travincal runs efficiantly and he becomes less interesting. I guess that's what you meant.