Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Consolidated PvP Discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Autti, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Autti

Autti Diabloii.Net Member

Consolidated PvP Discussion

Well we don't have a large PvP thread as of yet. So lets make one.

Some things i'd like to discuss:
    It seems all skills are effective now in PvP, my dream of a grim ward barb can be made true.

Combos look to be very brutal with the new mechanics that players can be frozen and slowed to great extent.

Looks very team orientated currently, but i also favoured 1v1 more.

Damage scaling, fights were fast. Wether or not that is good or bad?

2. Bash_

Bash_ Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Consolidated PvP Discussion

Regarding the fast fights...

The characters were fighting in a demo where all skills were preset, and their numbers were probably tweaked in a way that would not really represent gameplay. Once people start packing resists and reductions, it will probably change. Maybe the meta will even evolve around attrition tactics(though I hope not)

Having said that, I like the idea of being punished harsh for a mistake. Long, stalemate fights are boring.

The biggest plus i foresee is variety. With so many skills, it will be very interesting to see which 5 barb builds that come out on top - and Runestones will have a LARGE role in this.

For example, with only 60 skillpoints and 15 skill limit to a single skill, 7 cannot be maxed out. Thus people will probably enhance their main skills with damaging effects, while having several 1 point wonders socketed only with runes that somehow levitate utility or crowd control.

3. Autti

I don't like to forecast big predictions, but most builds would probably only use 3 skills to deal damage anyway, as optimizing more than 4 to get decent damage would be to hard.

Also, that leaves a mobility, and 3 buffs/debuffs which seems to be quite a good amount of variation.

Debuffs will play a big role in combat now though, the gameplay vid illustrates that when the witch doctor horrifies the barb thus giving him breathing room.

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

5. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a bit worried about how the monks combos will work in pvp.
    From what I understand, to progress to the next combo stage you need to land a hit within 0.60sec of the first stage hit, or else it goes back to stage one.

If stages becomes progressively better I see this as a big disadvantage as you would rarely be allowed to get 3 consecutive hits in.

6. MiniMonk

MiniMonk Diabloii.Net Member

It depends on the combo. With Exploding Palm you will pretty much only want to land with the 3 stage, but with something like Crippling Wave, refreshing debuffs isn't that good if the enemy has no debuffs, so you will want to land with the first or second(most likely second.) stage.

Then there is Way of the Hundred Fists, the final stage is not as good since it you will probably not be surrounded that often, so you will use the first stage of that, or maybe even the second stage if each of those tiny hit generate Spirit(if this is true then this will probably be one of the best way to generate Spirit in or out of PvP.).

There is also Hands of Lightning which has the chance to interrupt the enemy from attacking, or if you land a crit(which the Monk will be the best, or second best compared to the Demon Hunter, at.) it will stun them.

Edit: Lets not forget to mention long range combos like Long Reach or Dashing Strike, so if you anticipated that the enemy moves away when you land the second stage of any combo, you will hit them with the third stage of the long range combo.

7. Autti

Well yeah kinda the point :)

Regarding Monk combo skills, it will depend upon how spirit works in the arena.
    It's quite possible that it will operate differently compared to PvM, as otherwise the Monk will have to combo people to before they can actually start doing damage.

While the Wizard can just meteor you straight away.

8. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador Diabloii.Net Member

I think it would be interesting if there were options to play PvP with pre-set characters like they had at Blizzcon. It could be a way for people who have no desire to acquire PvP gear to just jump into a quick match for fun.

9. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

I think the D3 team has really underestimated how popular the PvP in this game is going to be. In the current gaming market most players want to be able to test their skills against other players and prove they are the best. Even if it is not for a title, it is truly fun to play against other people as compared to the computer AI.

I am not saying the D3 PvM will be bad, but from people I have talked to and the forums I have been on, PvP is already extremely popular. And Blizz stated that this is not a PvP game, and that their focus is PvM.

Fair enough. But I think that eventually, in some patch later or maybe even as part of the first expansion (hopefully not that late), Blizz needs to add other game types besides arenas. Things like CTF and modes where there are 3 areas that you have to try to control. Modes like this could be very fun in Diablo and I think they need to be tried.

10. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

I think you misunderstood me. I was having trouble seeing how to build up a stage 3 hit when you have to land the next hit in 0.60sec.
    I'm aware of the rest, I'm just curious since there are so many stuns etc. and from the vids ive seen the barb can rarely get more than a few hits in.

11. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

blizzard already said there pvp was not going to be balanced. this is also where you have to wait for the game and try it out. they could always increase the time you need to land a hit for pvp, as they said they were going to decrease CC effects for pvp. Player skill should and probably also be a huge factor.

12. MiniMonk

MiniMonk Diabloii.Net Member

MiniMonk still doesn't really see a problem.

If you are talking about landing a third stage Exploding Palm on a Wiz, WD or even the DH then of course that isn't going to happen very often as those chars want to be away from you or any enemy for that matter since they are not really fit for melee.

Against Babas or other Monks, then you will most likely get that third stage in. Even in the vid the Babas usually stayed close to each other long enough for a third stage combo to land(The Babas stayed close to each other on average of 3 seconds. Which is more than enough to land 1 full combo.). There are also those long range combos(Long Reach and Dashing Strike) that won't need nearly the same amount of proximity to the enemy to land any of the stages.

If you are worried about them moving away(Babas and Monks, since the others will most likely move away.) then use Crippling Wave stage one, which will slow them down. sure 2 seconds(which might change) of slow(50% at level one and rises at 10% per level is its current stasis.) movement might not seem much, but you only need a max of 1.2 seconds to land the third hit after hitting them with that first stage.

13. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

I know it's not gonna be balanced, I know I will have to wait and try it out when it's time and that palyer skill is factor - seriously.
    But since this is a discussion forum for a game that is most likely 1 year away, this was merely a concern built for discussion. I guess it was a bad idea to vent and will try and keep rest of my post about the Demon Hunter's boobs and choice of shoes.

The concern was getting to the third stage of a combo but Ive realised this is too complexed a question to ask at this point of development. I
    'll get back to y'all when I'm in the beta.

14. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

I was trying to respond to your comments, valid concerns are fine... no need to get bent out of shape.

15. Autti

Horrible idea. Go play any of the other games that offer those.

Diablo PvP is about killing people, flags? P-lease.

What you seem to forget is that D2 PvP was incredibly popular as well.

Diablo PvP has always been simple, i've made this awesome character killing monsters, lets try kill each other for fun.

16. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

why is that such a horrible idea? If you like the arenas, just play the arenas. There are some people out there who will be playing the game to max level and then just PvPing, obviously a little PvM on the side for gear, but you know what I mean.

I played WoW arenas at a very competitive level and sometime a break from that type of gameplay was needed. I did not PvE in WoW so doing the CTF and point capture type of games was that break.

Just because you dont like something doesnt be other wont either and that its a bad idea. I dont think they will add these types of game modes, but it would be nice if they did. I dont see how you can argue with that. If you really hate it, and they add it, just dont ****ing play it

17. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

You mean like Nox? That game that had easily the greatest ARPG PvP multiplayer ever? If Diablo 3 ends up being anywhere near as fun as Nox in terms of their Arenas and other modes, Blizzard will be the undisputed God of the ARPG genre. I just hope someone on the D3 team played one of Westwood's finest offerings and learned a few things.

18. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador Diabloii.Net Member

I think this is a great idea, I really never participated in PvP before, but so far I'm excited to try it out, and I would definitely dabble if there were CtF or zone control games like you've suggested.

I can't wait to get my hands on D3!

19. Autti

Cool story bro.
    I played D2PK, not that you know what that is.

Yes it does.
    Why waste dev time on something utterly useless? May as well add pacman into the game under your logic. If you don't like it don't play it. Oh wait, it affects the rest of the game as well. How can't you see that?

Go create D3PK if you want CTF or KotH, but don't waste dev time creating something that is provided in many other games.

20. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

Ummm, everything the devs are creating is provided in many other games, including PvP arenas. There is nothing new under the Diablo sun. The point isn't whether or not other games have done it, it's whether or not it would be fun for D3 to do it. And yes, there are plenty of modes besides PvP that could also be fun for D3.

I'd be pretty darn surprised if PvP arenas was the only extra mode D3 ever gets. Bring on the expansions. :D