Considering a hammerdin

§Hex Vex§

Diabloii.Net Member
Considering a hammerdin

Okay, I'm considering making a hammerdin, and Ragnarod's guide is what I'm gonna use. The guide says:

20 Blessed Hammer
20 Concentration
20 Vigor
XX Blessed Aim - Thinking of just maxing this
XX Charge - ?
XX Holy Shield - I guess once everything else is maxed, try to max this?
1 Redemption
1 Meditation
1 Salvation
1 Conversion

So basically the skills that I am having trouble deciding on are Blessed Aim, Charge, and Holy Shield. As well, what fcr breakpoint and fhr breakpoint should I aim for? Also, what would be the cheapest but most effective equipment for a hammerdin? This is going to be mainly used for mfing, but rushing sometimes. Thanks

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
If it's a pure Hammerdin, Charge is only a prerequisite for Holy Shield. You wont ever be attacking with a HotO.

The basic skill setup is:
20 Blessed Hammer
20 Concentration
20 Vigor
20 Blessed Aim
1-X Holy Shield - rest of points here after all others maxed.
1 each the one-point wonders and prerequisites.

What's with Conversion? A Hammy never attacks melee with his weapon to make use of it. Enemies usually drop dead before you can even swing. Conversion would require you to invest in it's prerequisites, which means more skill points wasted. Like I said, no one attacks melee with HotO (or whatever caster weapon you're using).

Spirit Sword & Shield are both very cheap and effective. A Lore helm too. A cheap Vipermagi, Spirit Shroud, Que-hegan's Wisdom, Guardian Angel (with -15% req jewel/Hel rune too I hope). Magefists are end-game worthy.

§Hex Vex§

Diabloii.Net Member
All right, thanks. Another question however, even if it is a noobish. What are the one-point wonders for the paladin? :embarassed:

Edit: Gonna guess at Meditation, Salvation, and Redemption?

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
You listed some before. Meditation, Salvation, Redemption, Cleansing. Keep all of these on hotkeys for quick access when you need them. Learn how to switch around your auras a lot (that goes for any Paladin).

Charge is also a 1-point wonder. Use it just for getting places faster.

§Hex Vex§

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay, thanks, since I'll be going with the spirit sword/shield route until I can find some better items, where is it likely I'll find a phase blade or a 4os one?

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't go with Phase Blade... you wont have the 136 dex for it...

Any low requirement sword will do. Crystal Sword, Broad Sword, Long Sword are the best, because they have very low strength and dexterity requirements.

rata

Diabloii.Net Member
btw. save ur extra skill points for later. you may wish to run ubers with this guy as a vanquisher build, its not as good as a 1pt smiter its doable

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member
this is my most favorite part of the day, listing my smiter/hammerdins gear.

My Hammerdin- (Used for purely mfing/rushing)

140 Um'd Shako (skills,life/mana/stats/dr/mf/res... lol)
2/2 Seraphs (didnt need more res from maras, the extra +2 helps also)
1k+ MP Enigma (skills,tele,DR)
37res Hoto (skills,fcr,res,mana%)
45base res/32fcr Spirit Royal (***read below***)
2x FCR/str/res/mana/life rings
Magefist (fcr, mana regen)
Arachnids (skills,fcr)
40%mf War Traveler's
SWITCH- 3bocta/crappy spirit
19/17/9 anni (bought unid :thumbsup: )
19/10 Pally Torch
some life scs, res/str sc

Skills HotKeys

20 BH (left-click)
20 Vigor (F2)
20 Concentration (F1)
20 Blessed Aim
1 Salvation
1 Redemption (F6)
1 Cleansing (F5)
Pre-Req's
Rest into HS (F4)

Teleport (F3)
CTA prebuffs (F7, F8)

cant remember stats but he's almost pure vit. (60str, ~0 dex, ~30 Mana**, Rest Vitality)

**- I didn't know how his character was gonna work, never looked up builds, just wung it. (Also, I was poor when i started him so i didnt know i was gonna get insight)

***- I used a 35base res Gilded Spirit (which I loved the graphic for about 1000x better than Royals, but i needed more res, so i switched it.) its only at 32%fcr cuz im too lazy to reroll it, but when i do i can drop one fcr ring for a soj/bk.

With this setup i get ~220 mf, 55fhr (dont know bp's), 132%fcr (over 125, read above) 11k dmg (well over enuff for PvM) and 3k Life. (i think he has ~40% block rate, bleh)

Merc- (Nightmare Act 2 Defensive- Holy Freeze to slow monsters to make easier tele-past them)

Weapon- Insight CA (dmg, MED!!)
Armor- 3k Eth Glitched Duress (res, ed, cb)
Helm- Fal'd Gaze (dr,leech, (fal was for when he used an eth cv)

i think (hope) that pretty much covers it... although i do think i just said everything you may already know... sorry if that wasted ur time.