Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Connecting xbox 360 to PC monitor.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by korialstraz, Jul 17, 2010.

1. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Connecting xbox 360 to PC monitor.

Anyone have any experience with this? I got a cable for my xbox with a VGA plug, and figured I could just plug it in and switch to the VGA channel. Yea didn't work that well lol. I figured it might be some settings on my xbox, but since I got a really crappy old TV, I can't select higher than 480p or whatever the lowest one is.

One thing I'm going to try now is switching from 4/3 mode to widescreen before connecting the xbox to my monitor, but I can't really see how that would make a differenc, but it's worth a shot.

Anyway if someone else have tried connecting their xbox to a PC monitor and ran into troubles with not recieving a signal, what was your solution? FYI I don't have an HDMI out port on my xbox, since it's one of the first ones released. So only the standard AV connection on mine.

Edit: Almost forgot, I also need sound. I'm planning on using the PC speakers as well, and run the sound through my comp. I got a Creative SB X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty sound-card, which I believe is able to do what I need it to. At least it has a ton of connection options. Any ideas? Since atm I got no idea on how to connect it, so just trying stuff out. >_>

Edit2: Managed it eventually. Just had to play around a while with the sound settings. Getting a video signal... well it was a stupid misstake on my part, but it all works now. So big improvement from my old tv. ^_^

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Connecting xbox 360 to PC monitor.

I use a PC mon quite often when I use my 360 as well, never had any problems just bought a new cable off of amazon and it worked like a dream

3. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Re: Connecting xbox 360 to PC monitor.

Yea I just had to play around with the settings.

The video I suspect was a stupid misstake on my part. Like the only thing I did was switch from 4/3 to widescreen mode, but I doubt that's the reason it worked. You know that little switch on the cable that you connect to the xbox? I think I somehow switched it to a diff position the third time I connected it to my PC monitor, which meant the pic showed as it should.

As for the sound, I just played around with settings and adjusted some values, before I thought of the different modes I can use. The sound card and its software has the ability to change between entertainment mode, gaming mode and recording. Mine was set on gaming, and once I switched to entertainment I got sound as well. I've yet to figure out exactly why it works only on entertainment mode and not gaming though. >_>