Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Congratulations & Questions from a new member

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Claymore, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Claymore

Claymore Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations & Questions from a new member

Hi everyone,

First, congratulations to all you guys who bring up the news, talk with Bashiok, visit the museum, collect and document all things Diablo. Maybe especially Flux since I've read so many of his posts on the home page. Really, I'm one of many people who rely on your infos to know what's happening (the official site isn't too good at that...)

The reason I'm posting is because I have questions that need answering. They may have been discussed before, in other threads, I've looked quickly but didn't find answers. Also, well, I appreciate your site and I'm a huge Diablo fan.

Very quickly, before the questions, I just want to state that I'm 100% single player, I have 68 characters (9 are Median, many are "set characters", Sigon, Tal Rasha...), the highest is my paladin (Zeal + Fanaticism), lvl 92 and they are all at least level 19. I've leveled up a total of 1804 levels altogether. My Paladin is called Claymore. He's my first character and he just got 10 years old! He's seen all versions up until 1.11. I'm still on 1.11, using Atma for items transfer and recently using Median2k8, MedianXL and even more recently, this summer, using Pluggy. My highest rune is an Um. I still have never dropped Silks or Bartuc's... or SOJ. So as you can see I don't cheat.

QUESTIONS !!!

1) Can we ask Bashiok for an updated "Character Screen" image ?

2) About that "Character Screen" (the left one, with the stats), what is the "horizontal slider" between Str, Dex, etc and the resists ?

3) I've heard much about skill socketing with runes but what is happening with Item socketing ? It must come back or it must be one of the things "They haven't yet talked about..."

4) Will it be possible to exchange items between characters. That's my top wish(I will add it to the wish section). Just like Titan's Quest and Torchlight. That way I would'nt have to quit the game, start Atma, open both characters and pass the rare Matriarchal Bow from my paladin to my Amazon.

5) I've heard from interviews and such that there would be more "verticality" in D3. Obviously, with a 3D world, it now seems very possible. We've seen a few up to date, namely the ladder from the initial Barbarian gameplay trailer and also some stairs in the Catacombs but not much more. So will it be possible to use this "verticality" as a strategic advantage ?

6) Okay, one last question which won't get answered : Is the 5th character going to use ranged weapons ??? duh. Is it ... a Rogue. That's what I tought.

So that's all, I'll add suggestions in the wish section, thanks for reading, and I'll look forward for answers or comments. One last thing, I just bought SCII today (preorder). I really don't care about RealId, since as I just answered in your pool, I have never played online and never intend to.

Claymore, 2010-07-08

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Congratulations & Questions from a new member

kthx.

You can ask for anything you want. Get a twitter account or use the B.net forum and ask directly! I'd say you're very unlikely to get it though, in this case.

He's never posted any new shots just to answer a question (other than maybe that rainbow-farting unicorn), and Bliz has proven extremely reluctant to release any images of the game interface. Their excuse is that they change it so constantly that it's always under construction and changing. And that's not a lie, but it doesn't mean we fans wouldn't like to see it.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=525
    qua? Also, see #1 about constantly changing interface; the look of everything has been radically different between launch, to blizzcon 08, to blizzcon 90, and I expect more of the same this year.

Gems are returning, but they've revealed almost nothing about them. Runes are only for skills, this time. If there are jewels or anything else to put into item sockets, they've not mentioned it.
    http://www.diablowiki.net/Gems

Recall that runes and jewels weren't added until the D2 expansion, so it's likely that they're holding back some features/items/etc to have things to include in the expansions, and just b/c working on everything in advance would further delay the delayed.

A shared stash is confirmed in D3. Details TBD.
    http://www.diablowiki.net/Stash

You could throw projectiles down from higher ledges, in the blizzcon builds. Fighting on stairs in dungeons wasn't very well implemented in 2008 though, since spells went in a straight line, so you'd shoot into the steps going up, or over the heads of the monsters going down. There were only a few little stairways in the desert tombs in 2009's build, and I didn't experiment with them to see how the physics might have changed.

I'd guess it'll be mostly like that in the final game; I don't think they'll put in any big uphill/downhill battle areas; just steps in between them. D3 isn't a real Tomb Raider style climbing/exploration thing, or a sniper game where you can hide on ledges and blast from safety.

3. Claymore

Claymore Diabloii.Net Member

Allright ! thanks Flux.

About the horizontal slider (maybe it's just a drawing which doesn't do anything (some sort of "Blue Gem")), I've posted a file CharacterUI.1.0.zip.
    The slider is the one with the small demonic head under. The thumb of the slider is in the exact middle.

I've erased the fields (well most of them), so I could use it(the .bmp) to display values over it using C++ & Dx. Note that initially, the numeric and text values of the fields were difficultly readable.

---ON SOCKETABLE ITEMS---

I know it's true that things didn't appear before LOD. It's just that runewords and plain rune socketing was so great an addition to Diablo 2 classic that any player would be crazy not play LOD instead... So to me it's a De Facto feature of D3. I mean that D2 is a lot about items. So to be given 33 new static modifiers (1 for each rune), it gave you a ton of item customization possiblities. Then add the runewords to add to your item a predefined set of modifiers. And then the new Cube recipe to upgrade them all (excpt.Zod)! But since they don't seem to have talked about it, I guess they could be holding back. They could plan on making skill runes socketable on items.

So all I've said previously about item customization is all just Static and Predefined item customization. Including gems. Notice in LOD, they didn't need Identification. Contrarly to Jewels. Jewels added the random factor in socktable world. Really, Jewels meant new socketable item with a random number of random modifiers to my collection of jewels. Median adds on top jewels words, Gloves, belt and boot socketing. But maybe my favorite feature of Median is item desocketing since it means to me that I can stop to wait for a better item to socket and that I can stop to wait for a better socketable item. I just socket what I have and then unsocket, but only in Median : (. It costs a little time, a little money. I will have to add that to the Suggestions Forum for D3.

About the Horadric Cube, I know it's not returning but it's meaningless since it could very well be any other type of interface with the same purpose : take input socketable items, - with gold, xp ?, and receive output items. A merchant could do it for instance.

I fully expect a D3 expansion coming about 6 - 12 months after D3's release, with 2 new Character Classes, a few more Bosses and areas along with features that will make you NEED the expansion if you play the game. But they just can't be serious about holding back about item socketing.

All I've seen are some form of gems. So there could be many types, with different rarity or have prefix/suffix. Star gems, Obsidian stones, pearls and Crystals, Blood Diamonds, bones and a variety of creature's skulls. So there's many things they could add but all of them seem to have somehow a more limited "upgradability factor" than Runes. Runes in D2 offered 32 upgrades while gems offered 4 levels of upgrades. As such, I would expect to have say Obsidian Stones to be upgradable... 4... 5 maybe 10 times. Same for Pearls, Topaz, etc.

That's reachable pretty easily at 3 gems per upgrade. So what socketable item type will they bring in to give you a greater upgradability ladder ?

---ON VERTICALITY---

Hahhh : ( That's really too bad. I mean Dungeon Siege in what ? 2004 ? 2003 ? had full 3D spellcasting and seamless Dungeon transitions from the outer world. Let's forget about seamless area transition for now... Even D2, by cheating on perspective, allowed you to target monsters from the top of stairs(with spells), perhaps the best example being the Arcane Sanctuary since it clearly cheated with perspective. So to know that spells will go above monster's head really is bad. It means you're in stairs going down, monsters are at the bottom, your'e a Wizard, in a big room. And you can only shoot above they're heads ? That kills the immersion because then your powerfull mage is useless, unless he goes down the stairs or waits for the monsters to slowly come up, while he's waiting for them to be at the right height. It's totally opposite to my definition of a Mage behavior when at the top of stairs, level 36, good items, full of mana. That's when I will feel " Ha no, the game is not realistic, that's not my mage, mine would blast them while they are down, blast them while they come up, retreat if needed. Not rush downstairs or wait passively. They're level 38 Putrid Zombies. They move slow.

Thanks a lot for the answers to Flux, thanks for reading and keep up the good work. I will try to post more often. I have edited many screenshots from the Blizzcons and Trailers and then "restored" them (changing perspective on some photographs or videos). And other resizing and stuff...

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

They've said that there will be some cool item crafting options, but we've gotten no info about them yet. There are quite a few major aspects of the game that they've simply kept quiet so far. Bashiok is often hinting about whole systems and features that haven't been revealed at all.

Really, the only big change of that nature we know about are skill runes, and we sort of got hints about the Talisman and some system to greatly-modify/customize your stats, but nothing concrete in over a year since.

As for the verticality, I wouldn't be surprised if they get more realistic physics in the final game than we've seen thus far. I will be surprised if it's a major factor; like battles on broken terrain requiring players to fall down or leap/teleport up levels, monsters to climb up after you, etc. That's just not a feature that fits traditionally into the game style. Even though it could be very cool.

Early on in the 2008 WWI Barb gameplay, you see Ghouls climbing up the sides of the level to get into the fight. That's very cool, but I think it's just a way to have the monsters appear that's cooler than simply teleporting in, or falling from they sky, or lying untouchable on the ground for a moment, before standing up and fighting. It's just a different monster "entrance" rather than a demonstration of a tactic they'll use offensively.

In Tristram at the start of the 2008 Blizzcon build there's a graveyard beside the Monastery (as in D1) and if you stand around in it, lots of zombies start tunneling up out of the ground and attacking you. But it's like the climbing Ghouls; it's just a cool way for them to appear. They don't burrow during the fight to escape and heal or hit you from under ground, etc.