Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Confusion about the word PK!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Mn_Swe2, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Confusion about the word PK!

Hi!
    I'm just reading some documents at work concerning authorization for our client-server application using remoting, when I stumbled upon the work PK in the document.

OMG, why is he writing about PK's in here was my first reaction :lol:

But of course this had to do with database design, so PK=Primary Key (database term to determine what should be unique fields in a table is a short explanation).

I'm so used to Diablo slang now, so whenever I read about PK, sacrifice et.c. I can't help thinking of this game :lol:

Just wanted to share a funny moment at work :)

/Magnus

2. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Heh, it's simply an enviromental damage one has to take. I have a funny story on something similar (not D2 though). So, I had struggled immensly for quite a period, trying to get my Quantum Physics down for a very important exam. A few days earlier, I had promised my dad to help him with some computer issue right after my exam.

So, the day came, and I sat for the five hours, deriving Shroedinger and what not, hoping desperately to pass the exam. Finally done (well, the time was out anyway :lol: ), there was nothing more I could do about that. So, I go to my mother and father's house to help them with their computer. Now, I'm really tired because of the exam and all. So, I'm to write a little note for them (they are complete computer alliterates) on how to do somthing in the future. The sentense contains an "h". Guess what I'm writing...?

...Planck's friggin' ?

Now that's enviromental damage :clap:

3. det

det IncGamers Member

4. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I used to do that all the time before I figured out that M:TG was costing waaaay too much money like 3 years ago or so.
    One day in religion I was sort of half asleep and my teacher asked me a question involving artifacts and I managed to tell her to just keep some disenchants in her sideboard without really realizing it >_<

I've come close to telling customers at work good game k thx no re bye before too thanks to too much BW. The sad thing is, the reason I don't isn't because I realize "wait this isn't the internet" but because I realize "nah, I don't want to get fired" ^^

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hahaha, a lot of good ones there :lol:

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by mic pb
    "i think u play too much d2 when u hit a deer and get out of the car to see if it dropped uniques"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plasteredkittylizard
    *snap* - no uniques, but a cracked Stag Helm......maybe if I horked...?"

/Magnus

6. GSSPhantom

GSSPhantom IncGamers Member

You mean PKWannabee perhaps.

In DII terms, I suspect you mean PKW, which is PKWannabee.

The term PK is kind of a mis-nomer in DII LoD. The term came from other RPGs and in particular from Diablo 1. The PKs in Diablo 1 garnered reputation and followers as the playing fields were often level with hacks and such used on both sides.

But, in DII and Realm play, the new variant of PKs, commonly referred to as PKWannabees had to resort to hacks and cheats to make their attacks affective. They have tried to put themselves on the same level as the Diablo 1 PKs, but have only shown the ability to cheat their way to victory rather than earning it.

It was fun foiling the PKs in Diablo 1, often using their same tools against them. They would tip their hat to a victim who evaded them, much as the victim would acknowledge the skills used to take them out when the PK was successful.

Unfortunately in DII, the victims are often not even given a chance to fight back, are often duped into situations that they normally would not have gone into, and are shown that there are folks who think that ruining someones fun game time is a fruitful effort.

But then, they don't want someone who can fight back, they simply want to win a one sided fight and claim they were skillful in doing so.

This unfortunatly has meant when some player states that he, or she, is one of the best PKs around, it translates to they are the best PKWannabees that can use lag, or hacks, or other cheats, to ruin someones day by not even offering a fair fight.

Next time you run into one, see the reaction when you ask them "so why are you a PKWannabee?"

It's a hoot to see the answers as they spit and sputter...

But heck, they just wannabee what they wannabee.

The rest of us play the game for fun and are the real players.

7. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

OMG, is the next pro- anti-pk thread coming up?

No thx I say! It looks to me like you completely missed the point with my post. There are plenty of PK threads if you just search the last few weeks, so please don't spoil this thread with trash talk about PvP and PvM'ers :)

Many thx in advance for respecting that /Magnus

8. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

No GSS. I Will not let you make this thread a serious one. NEVER!

*sigh*

Every time I heard the word "hurricane" or some such I'd instantly think of d2.

You play entirely too much when you start making builds for dueling...when you no longer play the game. Hearing the word "tarn helm" from a friend I imediately asked what stats (he was reading some book. Weirdstone or some such)

I still play d2, less of want, more of compulsion. Every now and then some one will say some computer term like "now, open the tp and"...they are generally silenced by my mental screaming of the word POTAL!...

9. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hehe, I saw you browse this thread when I answered him and I kind of know your feeling about this issue ;)

I'm glad we can stick to the topic here. For those who haven't yet, I really recommend reading the thread that det linked to :)

/Magnus

10. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

heh, you've been playing way too long when your high level barb dies and your response is "eh, his build sucked. brb with _____" fill in the blank with any other high level character

11. viamede

viamede IncGamers Member

At lunch I'm buying a coffee and this guy in front takes two styro cups and puts one back on top of the stack. It the lifts up by itself about halfway off the lower cup. He pushes it down only to have it lift up again. Tries it again, same result. I look at him and say "Static rules".